NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition starter switch..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition starter switch..
    Posted: June-24-2012 at 4:56pm
Hey guys...
My ignition key broke for my 85 SN 2001
I don't have another one...
I went to the marina near my cabin and they sold me a whole new asembally said it will work.
It's a 3 prong like the old one. The boat turns over but will not start..
Is there a spisific switch I need for my boat?
They have one at discount inboard marine..
I'm wondering if I'm better off with that?
Please help boys
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 3:45am
There should be nothing special with the switch. One terminal is from the battery, one is for the ignition, computer, etc., and one is for the starter solenoid. I'd check to make sure that the new switch is good. It is possible that the "on" position is bad, but the "start" position works.

Also, just to be on the safe side, make sure your kill switch is okay. If there is a problem with your kill switch (off), then it won't start.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 2:17pm
Thanks Gordon,
My boat does not have a kill switch..
I will need to hook up the volt meeter and check out that switch.
It's a pretty simple deal!
It was running great before this!
I just don't get it!
It wrecked our morning bare footing session
Yesterday also
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:34pm
In all seriousness, make sure your actual ignition wire is going to the ignition post on the switch.

Often times, people will attach other mumbo-jumbo to that post, as well. Things like depth finder, radio etc. It's possible the actual ignition wire dropped out of sight during the installation.
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:45pm
Will do that makes sence!
I was also told its posible the switch is bad and in the on position there's no conductivity??
Making the engine shut off right away?
Any thoughts on that?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:50pm
It's definitely possible that the new switch is bad as well. I think that has happened before.

You just have to test for continuity between the "batt" post, and the "I" post with the switch in the on position.
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 2:10pm
Thank you for all the good advice!
I will look at them things this weekend when I'm at the cabin
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

In all seriousness, make sure your actual ignition wire is going to the ignition post on the switch.

Often times, people will attach other mumbo-jumbo to that post, as well. Things like depth finder, radio etc. It's possible the actual ignition wire dropped out of sight during the installation.

Excellent point Brian!! I didn't want to point out the obvious, but the obvious things that I've missed in the past have gotten me into trouble many times.... :)
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 2:15am
Well I'm going to pick up another switch this week so I have it this weekend just in case it's the switch but I'm not perfect!! Not even close! Lol
You guys are right I may have missed a wire back there?
Thanks for all the great advice again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic