Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - One for Eric, no forward drive on rebuilt trans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One for Eric, no forward drive on rebuilt trans

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One for Eric, no forward drive on rebuilt trans
    Posted: June-24-2012 at 2:05pm
Hi Guys,

Replaced the transmission on a friends 2001 today. Picked up a rebuilt -004 model velvet drive on ebay cheap. Box looked as new externally and had all the red plastic blanking plugs in it. As I was replacing a box with blown reverse clutches (accidently put in reverse, WOT while tied to the dock) I thought I'd split the box and check the reverse clutch pack. Inside the box it all looked as new so I reassembled and set the pump rotation.

Fitted box and filled with fluid. No it selects reverse ok but wold not select forward when at idle. I pulled the box, checked the pump direction, removed and check the valve assembly etc and same issue.

I then gave the engine a good rev holding the revs up around 4k for 10-15 secs, then let it back down to idle and it would select forward/reverse at idle. It spins the output at idle in neutral but no shaft connected and I can stop with my fingers easy enough.

So my question is could it have been an air lock? I've swapped trans before and not had an issue ike this. Never needed to bleed/prime the oil pump. Eric can you shed any light on the matter?

Thanks in advance!
1982 Nautique 2001 - 351W Dual Fuel
1982 Ski Tique - 351W Dual fuel
1996 Maxum 210ss -350 EFI Dual Fuel
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 10:15am
Jay,
I know Eric will chime in but to me it sounds like the rebuilder for got to install the "classic" snap ring without the grove for it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 10:33am
Ahhh does this mean I need to tear the trans apart? I suggested the rebuilt box as it meant we could be back on the water quicker than getting the parts to replace the reverse clutches on the old box.

Eric, very much looking forward to your opinion.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 2:41pm
is it working now?

replaced mine last year (pcm new) put the fluid and went skiing...no priming at all.

looks like you will need to pull the tranny..that really sucks!

now did you put a new damper plate?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 2:53pm
This forum is great. I've not been on here for a year or two as I sold my 2001 and Tique and it's the same old faces :)

I've not water tested yet as I need some new bolts as the previous trans had the threads for the mounts drilled and helicoiled. I guess they had siezed solid and as such the threads don't match the new box. Being UNC I can't pop to the local hardware store as we're all metric over here. Really 5/8unc and all that? Give me a nice M12 thread anyday!

It engages forward/reverse with no issue now and I've given it some revs in gear and doesn't make and strange noises but there is no load on the box.

I've never been inside the forward clutch pack on a velvet drive but I'm well versed with the reverse clutch pack as I've replaced a fair few. The missing snap ring sounds about right as I've read a thread on MC owners and a guy had the same issue. Eric hooked him up but he never said what the problem was down to.

Didn't replace the damper plate as it looked like new and they are not cheap over here. The previous owner of this 2001 had spent a lot on it and I suspect he'd put a new damper plate in when he'd had the engine/box out for stringer work. (It's a saltwater boat and there was no corrosion on the damper so it's reasonable to say it wasn't that old)

jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 7:31am
Water tested last night and no issues. Selects fwd/rev fine, no clutch drag, no noises, no slipping.

I'll be keeping an eye on it but hopefully the initial issue was just an airlock or perhaps low trans fluid as I've just remembered didn't have the boat level on the trailer.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 8:32am
you got it working?
"the things you own will start to own you"
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 8:34am
Yes, it's working fine.
jayc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 2:19pm
Damn it's not working anymore :( Hopefully you can help Eric.

It's been fine all summer and now it won't dis-engage drive (enter neutral) unless the engine RPM's are below 600. Above that and it fully enguages forward drive even with the selector in neutral.

Shift from forward to reverse is fine, no slipping and everything else is ok.

So to clarify, with the engine rpm wound right back to 500rpm it sits in neutral fine. Blip the throttle and it actually engages drive. This is not a fwd clutch drag issue as you can actually hear it select drive.
It's not a cable or control issue as they are disconnected.

I still have the old tranny so I was thinking of putting the control valve from it into this box as to me it seems more like a valve issue rather than a clutch issue. Maybe a bit of crud blocking a bypass port?

As always Thanks in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic