NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 Ski Nautique Stalling when wide open

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 9:37pm
Well, I cleaned out the check valve and screen again. Nothing significant came out. I even took the hard line off of the fuel pump and blew that line out thinking I might have some gelled fuel in there. Nothing. I have to get out on the water to see if it had any effect.

What are the effects of a failing fuel pump?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

What are the effects of a failing fuel pump?

In adequate fuel pressure (and thus, flow).
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The phenomenon of "vapor lock" on a carbed boat has essentially been debunked as a myth, 'round these parts.

You get the metal fuel line touching the front edge of the block, or in the vally between the heads and the intake, and you will get vapor lock on a hot engine. It doesn't take a lot of extra heat, in a low flow situation especially after coming down from a long run at higher speeds to flash the gas over to vapor, and you end up with a stall. But if you don't the metal line, or the metal line is even 1/4" off the block or heads it won't happen.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The phenomenon of "vapor lock" on a carbed boat has essentially been debunked as a myth, 'round these parts.

You get the metal fuel line touching the front edge of the block, or in the vally between the heads and the intake, and you will get vapor lock on a hot engine. It doesn't take a lot of extra heat, in a low flow situation especially after coming down from a long run at higher speeds to flash the gas over to vapor, and you end up with a stall. But if you don't the metal line, or the metal line is even 1/4" off the block or heads it won't happen.

Mark,
What is the boiling point of ethanol? How hot does your marine engine run?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 10:05pm
Just a possibility, its classic vapor lock, loss of engine power on acceleration. Should not be a fuel delivery problem unless as the boat starts to accelerate, the added load drains the bowls almost immediately because its not getting any fuel at all and the bowls were almost empty to start with, at which point the engine dies like you turned the key off.

What does boat cruises all day mean, headway speed, up on plane what?

Evidently the fuel supply is adequate to keep the bowls filled under whatever those conditions are. Fuel consumption does not increase until the RPMs come up and and the power valve opens dumping more fuel into the carb bores, so it won't be soley a fuel delivery problem if you punch it and it stalls, or hesitates right at that point. But you are lowering the vapor pressure in the carb bowl, as soon as the air flow into the engine starts to increase (thats what the airhorn does) which then lowers the boiling temp of the fuel in the bowl. But if all you guy think it can't happen I'm OK with that, I'm just offering something to look at.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 10:23pm
Mark,
Previous to the boat you just purchased, were there others? I'm just wondering since it sounds like you've been around automotive more than marine engines.

So, no answer on the boiling point of ethanol or the heat question!
Yes, as Tim mentioned, vapor lock on a carbed boat has been discussed at length and it just doesn't happen.

Hows the paint removal project coming?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 10:42pm
Pure ethanol? 78.5 degrees C at 14.7 psi roughly 173 degrees f. drop it to 6 psi and your down to 135 degress F.

I am an electrical enginer, 25 years in nuclear plants, the big dig in boston and now fire alarms. I'm an outboarder by nature, 25 plus years in that, Classic Car restorer about 30 years doing that, half a dozen complete engine rebuilds from 350 chevies to 455 Pontiacs (no Fords though) , but no direct marine inboard experience.

Carbs a carb though, they all work the same. Fuel flow does not pick up until RPMs do, and is related to engine RPM at all times. If the boat runs fine a 2000 RPM in a steady state condition, theres no reason it should not run up to at least that high an RPM when you punch it.

Whats the vapor pressure under the spark arrester on a 351 Ford at 3000 RPM. Maybe even a clogged one?

Sanding only happens on weekends when I get a chance.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 11:06pm
We all sort of dismissed the possibility of issues with carburetor secondaries early on. Where we a little hasty?

What would happen if:

A: There was some sort of blockage that kept the secondary bowl from getting filled, and the secondary throttle plates opened when you "punched it" but the secondaries didn't deliver any fuel?

B: There was no issue with the secondary float level per se, but the spring or check ball that is supposed to help open the secondaries gradually had failed, and the secondaries just flopped open immediately?

C: What if the oposite is happening, something is allowing a whole bunch of fuel to just spill in when throttle is applied. Is there any way that it's flooding out? As mentioned earlier, it just seems wierd that it would take so long to get going again.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 12:45am
Any photos available of the anti-siphon valve, I am still in inboard Kindergarten   
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

What would happen if:

A: There was some sort of blockage that kept the secondary bowl from getting filled, and the secondary throttle plates opened when you "punched it" but the secondaries didn't deliver any fuel?

That's where I was coming from. I've even heard of beetle shells in pick-up tubes(twice), and in one case the shell rolled on a left turn. What a diagnostic nightmare.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:12am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Any photos available of the anti-siphon valve, I am still in inboard Kindergarten   

It looks like a brass hose barb maybe with a bit larger wrench body/boss and is threaded right to the 90 on top of the tank. It should be the place/piece where your fuel line is clamped.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 1:33am
Well, I cleaned out the anti-siphon valve and the screen at the inlet for the carb. Took it to Tyler lake to have Tim look at it and it ran great. Apparently that was the issue. Tim also adjusted the idle and the trans fluid was low. We went skiing and it runs great now. Thanks Tim!
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic