Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hole in Exhaust (Keeps Happening)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hole in Exhaust (Keeps Happening)
    Posted: June-18-2012 at 1:57pm
I have a 72 Skier. When I bought it(6 years ago), the guy said he replaced starboard side exhaust hose a couple years prior. I had the same thing happen to it 2 years ago. I replaced it and thought all was fine. I took it out yesterday and water started coming in. I looked through the exhaust opening and it looks like the rubber has melted and come apart about 1 1/2 feet in from the back. Why do I keep ruining these hoses? Not real mechanically inclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 1:58pm
Which engine/marinization do you have?
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 4:39pm
It is supposed to be a 351 and they told me at Midwest Correct Craft a few years ago that they thought it was a Thermo-electron.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 5:20pm
It wouldnt have had a 351w in it originally- it would have been a 302. Post a picture and we can identify the marinizer.

I have a Conquerer/Crusader Thermo Electron in my '71 Skier and the cooling system is not very balanced. The original exhaust hose on the port side has suffered some damage from previous overheats. Youre sure you mean starboard (drivers side)?
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 5:39pm
Yes it is drivers side that keeps failing. I will post pictures as soon as I can. I was told by previous owner that is was a 351, I don't know how to tell difference between that and a 302. Valve covers says 220 hp, I know that really doesn't mean a lot, though. Also, 2 years ago I replaced hoses going from thermostat housing to exhaust manifolds and noticed looking in the manifolds there was a fair amount of rust. Also, 3 years ago, impeller had to be replaced. I can't remember for sure, but I think 1 or 2 blades were missing. Boat doesn't ever seem to overheat according to guages. Thanks in advance. I really like this boat, it just seems to not like me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by vetski vetski wrote:

Boat doesn't ever seem to overheat according to guages.

What does this translate to in degrees?

220hp = 302. The 351w is wider than the 302, you could measure it. Or you could post a picture- we can probably ID it.
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 8:18pm
Usually around 110 degrees, I think. I will post picture as soon as I can.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 8:28pm
Confirm that number when you can... its very strange. If its to be believed, then you must not have a (properly functioning) thermostat installed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 8:38pm
Ryan,
Do you know if there's a T stat installed? Did it ever overheat and an attempt to correct the problem was removing the stat? I agree with Tim, that 110 is very low.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:13pm
I think previous owner said there wasn't a thermostat installed. I have pictures taken of engine, but can't seem to put them in post.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 12:58am

Yes it is drivers side that keeps failing. I will post pictures as soon as I can. I was told by previous owner that is was a 351, I don't know how to tell difference between that and a 302. Valve covers says 220 hp, I know that really doesn't mean a lot, though. Also, 2 years ago I replaced hoses going from thermostat housing to exhaust manifolds and noticed looking in the manifolds there was a fair amount of rust. Also, 3 years ago, impeller had to be replaced. I can't remember for sure, but I think 1 or 2 blades were missing. Boat doesn't ever seem to overheat according to guages. Thanks in advance. I really like this boat, it just seems to not like me.

Try measuring across the intake manifold. My understanding is a 302 is 9" wide and a 351 is 10 3/4" wide. Stickers long gone on my T-E 351 but I believe it is 250hp.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:11am

Here are the engine pics, taken with phone so quality not great.
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 3:11pm
Intake manifold is about 9" wide so it must be a 302. RWP looks original, could that be an issue? Also, is there a way to flush the engine and manifolds out if there is debris in there? Now that I think about it, when skiing behind it, I always noticed that one side of the exhaust had a lot more water coming out than the other(I think it was the left that had all the water and the right that didn't). Is that normal or is that the problem?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 3:17pm
Pics are tiny, but Id say 302 as well.

I'd confirm the engine temp of 110 first. It seems unlikely that the cooling system would run that cool at the intake manifold and so hot at the exhaust at the same time.

You didnt really say if the boat experienced a significant overheat at some point since the hose replacement. That would be my first guess.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 3:26pm

Now that I think about it, when skiing behind it, I always noticed that one side of the exhaust had a lot more water coming out than the other(I think it was the left that had all the water and the right that didn't). Is that normal or is that the problem?

I would say that's a problem. You have to somehow figure if water is being supplied to both sides.

Also, unhooking the water from the manifold, and watching it flow freely, doesn't automatically mean that the water is being allowed to make it's way through the manifold when it it hooked back up.
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 3:40am
How do I determine if both sides are getting adequate water flow? If I find out that the one side is not, can I clean/flush out the manifold, muffler, etc.? If so, what is the best way to do this?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 8:39am
one piece of rust could restrict water flow...water follows its easiest path, these boats the water flow always tends to favor the shorter hose also
"the things you own will start to own you"
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 6:56pm
How do I do the Bucket Test? If I find one side is less than the other, do I flush the engine, manifolds?(if so, how?pressure washer, garden hose?) Do I need to start looking at the RWP?(I think it's the original one) Trying to get this thing going before the 4th for the family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 7:04pm
The idea behind the bucket test, is it makes the impeller do the work of sucking in water for itself. If you just connect a garden hose and "force" water in, you'll never know if the impeller would work while the boat is actually in the lake.

75 Tique made this cool video:
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/lhine763/?action=view¤t=bucketmethod.mp4

Here's another good write up:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24767&title=how-to-run-your-boat-out-of-water-bucket-method
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2012 at 7:48pm
If I take manifold and riser off to clean it, will that ruin my gaskets? If so, where can I get new gaskets?
reftech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reftech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2012 at 12:06pm
I had a problem years ago with blowing out exhaust hoses on a ski challenger
The mechanic had installed the wrong impeller in the rwp
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 10:39pm
I guess I am going to order a RWP rebuild kit from Discount Inboard Marine. All I have every done is replace the impeller, nothing done with bearings or seals, so I figure that would be good to do. Wondering if a new circulation pump would do any good? Everything looks original on this engine. I will try and clean out manifolds and risers. Still needing to know if I need to order new manifold gaskets when I take the manifolds off.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:33am
Yes on the new Exh manifold gaskets. Those can be an automotive part, no need for 'marine'.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 11:57pm

Took exhaust manifold off engine, flushed it a lot. Really didn't see too much come out of it. Took riser off and there was some sort of liquid type gasket between riser and manifold. The vertical openings on either side of the main opening were completely filled in with this gasket stuff. Is that correct or is that the problem? Also, where can I get the correct actual gasket for this riser?
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 11:59pm
I also took the floor up on the problem side. It looked like the exhaust hose was basically coming apart layer by layer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 12:04am
I think you found the problem (no gasket). You can get the correct gasket from SkiDim Or My Correct Parts.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:03am
I know with the PCM marinizations, that the orientation of this gasket is also important: http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1158
vetski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:29am
Just to be clear, the main opening was open. The top opening was open. The two smaller openings on both sides of the main opening were completely closed off with the liquid gasket material(reddish-organge stuff) that had hardened.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 1:33am
They may have been trying to recreate the blockages that the gasket would make. With the gasket, the blocked passages should be near the exhaust outlet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

They may have been trying to recreate the blockages that the gasket would make. With the gasket, the blocked passages should be near the exhaust outlet.

Look above- these are log manifolds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic