Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cracked block 318

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rs73plymouth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rs73plymouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cracked block 318
    Posted: June-17-2012 at 12:17pm
hi , i have a 69 cuda i bought as a project , the motor is a 318 chrysler i took the heads off and it has two cylinders that are cracked from being froze , i can not find any 318 marine engines in my area i have called many places and they laugh at me and tell me good luck , can i use a 318 truck engine i know that the 318 i have is reverse rotation is there a way i can convert a standard rotation to reverse rotation trying to stay on a budget
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 3:37pm
Don't give up looking. They come up on eBay and various other spots. I had to buy a whole boat for mine. Good luck.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by rs73plymouth rs73plymouth wrote:

hi , i have a 69 cuda i bought as a project , the motor is a 318 chrysler i took the heads off and it has two cylinders that are cracked from being froze , i can not find any 318 marine engines in my area i have called many places and they laugh at me and tell me good luck , can i use a 318 truck engine i know that the 318 i have is reverse rotation is there a way i can convert a standard rotation to reverse rotation trying to stay on a budget

Wow, you sure are calling the wrong places!! The basic block is the same. Laughs? You should be laughing at them!!! Yes, it's just the components in and on the engine that make it the marine.

BTW, My "standard" joke/question is, are you asking these questions at Autozone??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 4:31pm
I have a 318 I might consider selling. It is out of a 70 Wildact that I bought a few years ago. PO started a restoration and never completed. He said it ran, thats about all I know about it.

What part of Indiana you from?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rs73plymouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 7:40pm
there are lots of marina's around my area lots of lakes , but all the marinas dont keep anything laying around thats why they laughed at me and told me good luck , just cant find much info on the difference of chrysler marine engines vs auto engines , the boat is a 69 but the block i pulled out is a 72 , are 318 marine engins 4 bolt or 2 , i think someone has allready used a car engine once because its a 2 bolt main and it had some steel freze plugs still in it but the heads had bronse plugs and there a little different color paint

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rs73plymouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 7:45pm
im from warsaw in northern indiana , what would u need for the engine trying to stay on a budget on this project , thats why i was asking about the difference in auto vs marine my crank and cam is still good so i was just thinking about changing enternals but i dont know , im not in a big hurry i have other boats to play with so i can keep looking
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2012 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by rs73plymouth rs73plymouth wrote:

there are lots of marina's around my area lots of lakes , but all the marinas dont keep anything laying around thats why they laughed at me and told me good luck

Yup, going to them was the BIG TIME MAJOR mistake. WHY???????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:52am
See my post earlier tonight on a different Mopar thread for a lot of other introductory Chrysler wisdom. I won't repeat all that here.

All 318 blocks are NOT the same. If you're trying to use a late-model block with a roller cam, you're out of luck, UNLESS you can find a suitable cam blank and someone to cut it into a reverse-rotation cam. Crane Cams did one for me for about $800 before they went bankrupt. Somewhere the man who knew enough to do that for me still lives... The cam is the one essential barrier to a reverse-rotation roller cam marine motor that you can't source anywhere besides "custom manufacture". Not a budget item.

However, the good news is that pre-roller cam auto blocks will work just fine. I did notice that the engine mount ears on my marine block are different. I think there are more bolt holes on the marine block. But that's not a material difference. I'm just missing a bolt on my current block. The material differences between marine & auto Chrysler engines are mainly auxiliaries, not the block. The front cover is different. The intake & exhaust manifolds are different. The carb & alternator are marine-specific. The starter & flywheel housing are marine specific. The oil pan is a marine pan. But those are all things that attach to the block, not the block itself. So are freeze plugs. Go find an old carbed or throttle-body-injected block in good shape and use it.

By the way, where are you?

And my first CC was a '69 318 Barracuda not so long ago.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic