Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1978  ford commander 302 .60 over input  please
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 ford commander 302 .60 over input please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bprahl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bprahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 ford commander 302 .60 over input please
    Posted: June-12-2012 at 5:43pm
Last summer the water pump went out on the family's 1978 Ski Tique. so my father took the boat down to the motor shop to have it rebuilt.yesterday i went with him to pick the boat up and was talking to the tech and he said that he bored the engine .60 over...sounds like a lot to me... should there be concerns with this rebuilt engine???? will it be reliable after the engine is broken it correctly???
           Thanks for the help..
                   Brandon
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 5:57pm
It shouldnt really be an issue, but generally that is considered the limit of how far you can take that block. If you never again damage your cylinder walls to the point where they need to be cleaned up you will be absolutely fine... if you do you will need a new block. But there is certainly no point in getting a new block now so that you might not need a new block at some later date.

Enjoy your newly rebuilt engine and it's extra couple cubic inches.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Enjoy your newly rebuilt engine and it's extra couple cubic inches.

Don't forget to report back with some data....speed and RPM's at WOT.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 6:45pm
0.600" over is a bit extreme, no?

(You meant .060")
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 10:04pm
Most of the Chris/Hercules blocks can be bored to .120". After that, you sleeve and put the original pistons back in!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bprahl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bprahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:52pm
yeah sorry it was a miss typing on my part, but yes the engine is bored out .60"..im just hoping that the engine will be reliable..i about to take the boat out and continue to brake it in slowly... once it is broken it i will post RPM and speeds at WOT...I sure it will have some extra power,it will be nice to go out and enjoy her on the open water, since it has not out of commission for the majority of last two years. before the engine i restored 1978 ski tique, completely re gel-coating the entire boat wet sanding and buffing, re-did the interior seats, motor cover, floor, carpet etc..so we have suck a lot of time and cash in to her, and want the family to enjoy her this summer..i will try to post some pic of her.. thanks
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:10pm
I think you are still mistyping because it would be .060" or yes it is a problem...

but the real issue I see is who told you to break it in slowly and what do you mean by slowly?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:14pm
Sounds like you've been busy then!

Post some pics and make a diary page for the boat. I'd love to see some more pics!
bprahl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bprahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:25pm
the motor was built by a local engine shop and has a year to date warranty.. i did not get much time to talk to the owner of the shop but he said to brake it in i need 10 hours of driving it at 1/4 throttle letting it sit and cool down and then drive it around at 1/2 throttle and let it sit cool down and repeat till there is about 10 hours on it...dose this sound right? dose that sound right Joe? I have had snowmobiles with bored out and built engines and i know the brake it is slow, no WOT, running one speed for a long period of time, and no fast acceleration..but it was snowmobiles and not a boat engine..   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic