Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debris in Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
C_Litt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Litt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debris in Manifolds
    Posted: June-01-2012 at 3:29pm
Hey guys, I'm new here and hoping someone can give me a little advice. I have a 1992 SN w/ PCM 351. I pulled the plugs on the stern ends of the manifolds, finding quite a bit of debris. I used a stiff wire to work it a bit then stuck my garden hose in the inlet side of the manifold to flush it out... I did this a handful of times on both manifolds and thought it was cleared out. While out on the water yesterday I removed the plugs again, only to find more of the same type of debris, it seems to be never ending. I did find a small chunk of what seemed to be rubber from the RWP impeller (which I have replaced). Most of the debris seems to be metal flakes, most of which is no larger than the diameter of a pencil eraser and up to 1/4" thick maybe.

What should I do next? Remove the risers? Replace the manifolds and/or risers? Or do I just continue doing what I've been doing until it runs clear out the manifolds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
1992 Sport Nautique PCM 351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 3:38pm
Unless youre experiencing cooling problems due to a blocked passage, Im not sure I would bother doing anything. What youre describing is normal- the cast iron manifolds always seem to drop a bunch of sediment and metal chunks when I drain them in the fall.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 3:51pm
Chris,
I agree with Tim. You are seeing normal junk that comes off all cast iron. As time passes, it will slow down so don't worry about it.

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We'd love to see you make a diary entry too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C_Litt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Litt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:05pm
Thanks for the quick response and welcome Tim and Pete.

I was having a bit of a cooling issue on Monday (I'm in the process or replacing my temp gauge so I don't know exactly what temps I was running), however, the manifolds and thermostat housing were on the hot side to the touch after a 20 min high speed run down the lake. I was able to touch them, but did not want to hold my palms on them.

That is what led me to cleaning out the drain plugs... doing so I found a huge amount of debris, and I can't seem to find an end to it. I plan on having my temp gauge working by my next outing as well as having an IR temp gun on board to get some readings.

All in all... this debris isn't something I should be overly concerned with as long as I can get acceptable running temps?

I wouldn't mind pulling the risers and doing an inspection, however I doubt anyone will have the gaskets locally which means I'd have to wait to receive them if I order them.

C_Litt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Litt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:16pm
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 7:40pm
Nice boat, and welcome.

I also found the chunks the first time I winterized. That was 4 years ago, and the amount of debris has reduced each year since.
A rule of thumb that I use is that 140 degrees is the upper limit that you can place your hand on. Your boat will run above 140, so I wouldn't sweat it.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

C_Litt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Litt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 8:10pm
Thanks, I love it. This is the first boat I've owned myself and I'm truly enjoying it. I've had it out at least once a week on the local lakes for the past 2 months, and plan to continue to do so all summer long. I've been running without a temp gauge (waiting on the new one to come in the mail) so I've just been a bit paranoid when the t-stat housing or manifolds are beyond warm to the touch... better safe than sorry. I'm learning a lot as I go. Next trip I'm hoping to have the new temp gauge installed as well as a laser IR temp gun just to double check. Once I know all is well... I won't be so consumed by it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic