Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust manifold replacement suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
UndercoverPoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust manifold replacement suggestions
    Posted: May-28-2012 at 10:14pm
The hard part is done, which is taking off my old risers and manifolds. Now I plan on buying a new pair of manifolds and want to know your best suggestions. I am looking for the best replacement part on my 1988 SN2001 that has a ford windsor 351 and the original manifolds are black and say pleasure craft V8 or something like that. Money is an object so I on a budget but I dont want to cheap out? Can someone recommend a replacement? Should I stay away from the single bolt per exhaust port ones? Will they bolt up to my existing risers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 10:23pm
here is a picture of what I have:

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 12:57am
Whats wrong with those?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 1:07am
Each side has about a one inch crack on them.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 1:15am
Too bad they look in nice shape. If you don't buy the PCM's again I'm not sure that your risers will fit other brands,you will have to ask
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 11:35am
You can weld them or have someone weld them with nickle rod.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 11:40am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 5:32pm
Thanks, ordered them up from Richard at SKIDIM.com. Got everything I needed (hopefully) including gaskets and hardware. He even gave me the torque specifications on the manifold bolts and the riser botls. Wish me luck. Thanks again CCF!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 10:39pm
Brought it to a boat yard and they tried welding them with three different type of rods. None worked. They were also on the boat at the time. They said they could do it they were off the boat and did not have to try and weld overhead as the cracks were on the bottom. I figured if I could get them off I'd just replace them. Ski dim sent me my tracking info. I should have the PCM replacements on Thursday.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by UndercoverPoe UndercoverPoe wrote:

Brought it to a boat yard and they tried welding them with three different type of rods. None worked. They were also on the boat at the time. They said they could do it they were off the boat and did not have to try and weld overhead as the cracks were on the bottom. I figured if I could get them off I'd just replace them. Ski dim sent me my tracking info. I should have the PCM replacements on Thursday.

Why the "boat yard"? They are not welders!! They tried to weld them on the boat and with a overhead weld position? 3 different types of rods? WOW, defiantly a hacker - sorry! What "boat yard" is it? Others need to be warned!

I'm glad to hear the new ones are on the way but sorry you had to spend the money.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 11:37pm

You can't weld them in place!!! You have to bake/heat them then use nickle rod in short stitch welds. It has to be nickle rod because their cast.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverPoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 9:14am
Either way nut to these old cracked manifolds. As soon as I take the brass elbows off I'm throwing them out unless someone sees a use for them beyond boat anchors.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 9:24am

Either way nut to these old cracked manifolds. As soon as I take the brass elbows off I'm throwing them out unless someone sees a use for them beyond boat anchors.

Post in the parts for sale section. Chances are high that they are usable and certainly weldable by someone who knows how to weld or braze. So, who's the "boat yard"? We sure don't want anyone taking a welding project to them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 11:08am
Next time any welding is done on your boat disable the ignition or remove it so it dosen't get fried. But if the ignition acts ups there is a cause for it.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 10:14pm
Cast iron usually has a lot of stress in it already. So when you heat it unevenly, you can propagate old cracks, or create new ones relatively easily. The proper way to weld cast iron is to heat the entire piece to the same temperature and let it cool slowly. That's impossible to do "in place". But sometimes you can defy the laws of physics and get away with it: sometimes welding cast iron in place can close the crack, and it will stay closed. Sometimes. Then again, it just might crack again from the initial crack when you heat it up again. You just can't predict that. So sometimes it's worth trying. Other times it doesn't work out that way. You just can't tell until you try. Welding upside down is hard for anybody. By the way, brazing isn't the same process, but can sometimes produce a serviceable (read: lasting) repair. So maybe the manifolds still aren't complete junk to somebody on a budget who wants a little practice and isn't afraid to give them a shot.
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic