Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 Chrysler
    Posted: April-13-2012 at 12:46am
Just bought a '66 barracuda with the Chrysler 318 in it. It had been sitting (in the water) without being run for 3 years or so. It was my neighbor's and he has had it since '76. Anyway, I figured out that it had no spark. Cleaned the points, freshened the fuel, and changed the oil. It will now start and idle. It will run okay, but seems like it is missing on at least one cylinder. Not sure if it's spark, compression, valve timing, or what. Also, when I run it, after about 2-3 minutes, the thermostat begins to display readings of about 200+. The weird thing is that, when it begins to read really hot temperatures, I touch the engine block, and it really doesn't really feel that hot. Maybe a little too hot to hold my hand on for very long, but definitely not 200. I just changed the water pump impellers and bypassed thermostat. So, at this point, im not really sure what the issue could be. Need some help with this one. Maybe the thermostat is reading falsely, or one of my passages is filled with rust? Not sure..
Thanks, Jake.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 9:19am
Jake,
I suggest a complete ignition tune up including spark plugs. Then a carb rebuild considering how long it's been sitting. If the miss is still ther, then a new set of plug wires.

Great you got a very classic boat!

We need pictures! Don't forget to get it in the diaries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic