NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 94 is on its way home!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 94 is on its way home!
    Posted: March-25-2012 at 12:17am
So I'm now officially the proud owner of a 94 SN and I have already learned 2 things and I'm still not even 25% of the way home.

1. If you're going to change wheel bearings, the only way to do it is in an airconditioned shop with a parts washer :). I almost had fun doing it!

2. Automotive tires will grenade at 60mph when used as trailer tires...sigh

So leg 1 and immediate repairs complete. Now for a week layover in ORL then on to SC for the final leg. Fingers crossed the remainder of the trip will be event free. Overall its a sound boat, just needs some TLC from being neglected the past few years of its life. Pics and plans to come once I get it home in 1 piece.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 1:15pm
It will be cool to see pics of the new boat!

My brother picked up my boat for me, and me purchasing a trailer spare was a requirement for him to agree. You can get wheel/tire pre-mounted, but I guess I'm a little late with that info.

I was surprised at how high the pressure is supposed to be on the trailer tires. I think mine calls for 45psi or more.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 1:52pm
Exploding tires on the interstate suck! Ripped the fender apart on my trailer right after I had restored it. Good luck on the rest of the trip and congratulations!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 4:38pm
Congrats on the new boat!
Hope the rest of the trip will be way easier...

Yes, do post pictures a soon as you can, we love them here

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:20pm
John,
My 77 came with automotive tires and 54 trailer has the repo wide white wall automotive tires. Both sets are rated for the load so I'm having a hard time understanding your problem. I've pulled both well over 4K miles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 8:44pm
I'm with Pete, it's either underinflation or just too light duty tires that are the problem, not that they are automotive.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 8:47pm
At least you won't be fighting the stringer issue.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 9:29pm
It was THAT tire. The sun kills them not mileage.

Hey, I hope thats the worst thing that happens on the trip!

Congrats on the boat - welcome to the club, I'm in eastern NC
and we boat at Lake Gaston NC theres a bunch of guys in this area.

White Lake is coming up the last weekend of April,come on down!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 9:37pm
John, congrats on the boat! I forgot to say that when I commented on the tires, my bad. I walk by a '94 in storage every week and I think they are great looking boats, you're going to really enjoy it.
mountaineerminer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaineerminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 9:57pm
Good luck on the rest of your drive! I look forward to seeing pics.

My tire story happened in the driveway....

The tires where dry rotted from sitting in a field and one blew up after sitting in the sun (over inflation)! It was exciting when standing in front of it and the bucket between me and the tire about took an eye out (literally)
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 10:28pm
Holy $ that is gnarly
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 10:42pm
I was wondering about the tire comment too, but wasn't sure until others commented. My trailer came with car tires. I had to replace one, so to match, I matched the car tire. Several years later ditto with the other tire, so despite hearing the admonishments of car tires on here, I have had them for 8 years. About 10 850 mile trips back and forth to NC and no issues.

Well not entirely true. My first NC trip after buying the boat, I had a tire virtually disintegrate on I-95 in CT approaching NYC area. I attributed it to under-inflation (I never checked). I had no spare (last time I made the trip without a spare) but had the tools handy to get it off. Less than a mile down the road, an exit ramp. At the bottom of the ramp a car dealer who referred me to a tire shop around the corner. Fixed me up and in under an hour I was back on the road.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 11:36pm
Congrats on your new boat! I only use trailer tires because the sidewalls are stiffer.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:22am
Congrats on the boat. Would love to see pictures. Automotive tires are not bad. You just have to make sure you get a proper load range for the weight and speed.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 5:45pm
I'm not a tire expert so all I have to go off is what the tire shops told me. Pepboys and Goodyear both refused to put the 215/70/15s back on the wheel as they said it was against the law for them to install automotive tires on a trailer wheel. Oddly enough the 225/75/15s trailer tires that were instock were cheaper than the automotive tires, so I know it wasn't an attempt to gouge me and both shops said the exact same thing. Again I have no clue to the reasoning as most cars weigh as much as the boat, but the Goodyear guy explained that auto tires are rated speed wise, while trailer tires are rated load wise. All I know is I do like the additional height the 225s gave me and the ride was night and day difference. I'm just happy its fixed, because let me tell ya hearing a keel guard hit asphalt at 60mph is enough to make your toenails curl. I guess you could say I left my "mark" on the Florida turnpike mile marker 203 lol
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:56pm
It is more the load rating than the trailer vs automotive thing, but in general automotive tires have lower ratings. The guys on here talking about auto tires working out for them are generally running smaller boats on older lighter trailers.. so it is no surprise they have not had many problems however thier experience is not relevant to a 1994 SN and trailer. Auto tires are rated for less air pressure because they are rated for less load and you need less pressure to maintain a contact patch of a reasonable size that won't cause so much deflection and the associated build up of heat and stresses that will cause the tire to blow.

Bottom line - dont overload your tires and keep them properly inflated!

If not, then kaboom!

FYI - most cars do not weight as much per wheel as your boat and trailer combo - once you get into 3/4 ton and above vehicles you also end up with much higher pressure/higher load rated/higher dollar tires.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:14pm
The '94 Ski plus trailer should be around 4,000 lbs. with some fuel and other stuff in the boat I would think. That's 2,000 lbs. per tire, ignoring the 200 or so lbs. of tongue weight. My Liberty is maybe 4,400 lbs., 1,100 lbs./tire. So, my stock size tires at 36 psi would probably not be OK for that trailer, but they are fine for a relatively light SUV.

I'm agreeing with you Joe, you can also buy trailer tires that are too light as well, like you say regardless of the tire category look closely at the rating and inflation. I've seen a lot of 50-60 psi rated trailer tires running at under 40 lbs, people just assume that's what to put in because that's what their car tires take.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 2:46pm
Many of the general use trailer axles you see around are rated at 3500#. A 205/75R14 tire load range "C" can carry about 1860#. Obviously, some axles are heavier duty (5200 lbs, etc.) but then you have got to find tires that can support 2600 lbs (225/75R15 load range "D" = 2540# @ 65psi). Horse and cattle trailers use load range "E" and higher. Those are like rock. Most boat/utility tandem axle trailers that I have seen have two 3500# axles for a 7000# trailer rating.

The biggest difference between car tire and trailer tires I have been told is in the sidewall. A car tire has to be able to flex when the front wheels turn or when you go around a bend to keep maximum tread contact with the ground. Trailer tires have a much stiffer sidewall to protect the tires from curbs, etc. and to reduce trailer sway (which can get excessive with a car tire).

Many tire shops will not put car tires on trailer wheels unless you just bring in the wheel by itself and tell them it's from a car.

Article on trailer vs car tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219¤tpage=136

C-Rob

2000 SAN
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:22pm
Trailer tires that are over 5 years old should be replaced with trailer tires of the proper rating and kept up to the pressure printed on the tire, period. Especially if you have a single axle trailer. You can read the date of manufacture in an oval circle with 4 digits somewhere on the tire, usually the inside of the tire. The first two digits are the week, the last two the year. But if you want to take the risk, it's your boat. It's not that much money compared to the rest of boating, and a blowout can really ruin your trip that you spent so much more on preparing and getting the time off work. Same goes for wheel bearings and bearing buddies and keeping them full of grease. I don't sell tires, just learned this the hard way several times before I wised up.
jorpboma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jorpboma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2012 at 1:22am
Congrats on your new boat. Would love to see pictures hah.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Exploding tires on the interstate suck! Ripped the fender apart on my trailer right after I had restored it. Good luck on the rest of the trip and congratulations!

Congrats. Been there done that. 70 mph passing a big rig on I30 on the way to deliver my old MC to its new owner. Turns out, the other one was about to separate as well.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2012 at 4:38pm
Interesting. My dad and I were just laughing about the original tires he has on the EZ-Loader trailer of his 1977 Glastron, wondering how long they will last. I think this is finally the year he is going to step up and buy some new trailer tires.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic