Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amp install help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp install help
    Posted: March-23-2012 at 3:00pm
I am installing an amp and speakers. Can I connect the REM wire from the amp to the accessory button on the boat? And will that allow me to turn the amp on and off with the accessory button? and does anyone have a wiring diagram so I know which wire connects to the accessory button? '86 SN 2001
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 3:26pm
I don't think I had anything to my ass. button so I put my amp's orange cable to that(main power directly to the battery) and my stereo to the automatic bildge. I have can speakers running to the amp and 2 small speakers in the boat. This way I can sit in a cove run my small speakers and head unit without the amp draining the battery . hope this helps
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by oledb4 oledb4 wrote:

I am installing an amp and speakers. Can I connect the REM wire from the amp to the accessory button on the boat? And will that allow me to turn the amp on and off with the accessory button? and does anyone have a wiring diagram so I know which wire connects to the accessory button? '86 SN 2001

Actually, I think you should be able to do this, as log as your amp is getting it's own power directly from the battery. The remote terminal on the amp is basically just like an "on" signal, right?

Just test that you are getting power from your accessory switch wire only when the accessory switch is turned on. Also, be sure you set it up so that you don't have to have your engine hours clock running, just to get power to the amp remote.

There are some dash wiring schematics here http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/miscellaneous.asp
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:07pm
You can do this, but why not just connect the remote turn on wire to your head unit's remote turn on feed? Are you using an amp without a head unit? The amplifier requires a direct connection to the battery which is usually labeled B+ and then the remote turn on is labeled several different ways, but this can be connected to any 12v+ source.

I plan on doing this in my rebuild only to allow me to turn off the sub during anchor time to limit battery drain. If you need any additional information just let me know. Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

goosef350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosef350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:12pm
Yes, you can hook the REM terminal on the amp to a 12v accessory switch. All the REM needs is 12v that tells the amp it needs to turn on. Usually people hook up the REM terminal to the REM wire on the head unit (usually blue with a white stripe). That way the amps turn on and off based on whether or not the head unit is on or off. But you could hook it to any switched ignition/accessory hot lead if you wanted.

I don't see why you would want to put the amp on a separate switch, that would get annoying...unless you skipped the head unit and have an RCA --> 3.5mm cable to plug an ipod directly into the amp. In which case that would make sense. Hope this helps
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by goosef350 goosef350 wrote:

...unless you skipped the head unit and have an RCA --> 3.5mm cable to plug an ipod directly into the amp. In which case that would make sense. Hope this helps

I think there are some guys that do it that way, especially where radio reception on a boat might not be that great, and it saves you from having to make space for the head unit if your boat doesn't have a factory cutout.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I don't think I had anything to my ass. button

I mean really????   LOL!
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:28pm
I am indeed connecting directly from an iPod to the amp, and am not running a head unit. So what would be the best place to run the REM wire?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:36pm
It works just fine, especially if you have an empty switch. Be careful if you have more than one battery that you aren't creating a ground loop having different components hooked to different batteries. Thats how I run mine, I've connected the grounds from all 3 batteries to a bus that is connected to the block ground so everything grounds to the same spot.

Don't hook anything to the key switch or it will run the hour meter with the stereo.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:43pm
Oops missed the last post about the iPod. That's how mine is and it really sounds better out of the bottom jack, but you need some way to control the volume. JL and Kicker both make small line drivers with volume control that will do this.
goosef350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goosef350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:44pm
If it were me, I would hook the REM to a 12v + wire that has power when the key is in both the accessory position and the run position. That way everything turns off when you take the key out.

But it will be much simpler to just hook the REM wire to a separate accessory switch. just remember to turn the switch off when you park your boat for the night, or you could come back with a dead battery. It all depends on what you want.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:54pm
I installed a separate toggle switch for the amp, but i have a head unit as well. So I like the ability to switch the amp on and off. You could go to the switch then the key. That way removing the key is like a failsafe for the toggle switch.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 5:04pm
Yeah, all good info here. Where you get the control power (REM) is really up to you, but you want to make sure that you turn it off or it turns off with the key, so you don't run down the battery in the event you forget to switch it off.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 5:33pm
The acc switch is after the main power breaker so if that is switched off nothing works. It much easier than trying to wire the hour meter off especially under an 80's dash. That one line on the unused switch powers up my whole system, charging cable, line drivers, volume control and finally the amps. Then the ground wire comes from bus in the back and hits everything that needs it. In my case that switch was powering the cassette deck that was there before.
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:40am
P71, must be a malibu thing I don't have a ass button on my Nautique
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:44am
So I attached the REM wire to the accessory switch, and the amp remains on whether the accessory button is on or off...so It was fine while we were out, but we had to disconnect the wire at the end of the day to prevent the battery from draining, and don't really want to have to do that every time...any thoughts or ideas?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:54am
Not sure what you have going on there.

So the amp turns off when you remove the REM wire from the switch?

Have you checked with a volt meter to see if the power is removed from the REM wire when you turn off the switch? If not you may have the REM wire attached to wrong side of the switch.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 1:00am
Yes, the amp turns off when i disconnect the REM wire.

And I have not checked a volt meter, but the amp stays lit up whether the accessory button is on or off
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 2:21am
It sounds to me like the the accessory button is either not working properly or you have the REM wire connected to the feed side and not the load side.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 10:53am
OK, I will try to connect it to the other side and see what that does. Also, I have the wire stripped and connected directly to the screw, does that have any effect on it??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 11:47am

OK, I will try to connect it to the other side and see what that does. Also, I have the wire stripped and connected directly to the screw, does that have any effect on it??

Justin,
It may be a good idea to get the volt meter or at least a test light out to check which side of the switch is the "line" side or "load" side.

No, the wire connected directly to the screw will not make a difference but I sure hope you are using a termination and not just wrapping the wire around the screw.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Justin,
It may be a good idea to get the volt meter or at least a test light out to check which side of the switch is the "line" side or "load" side.

No, the wire connected directly to the screw will not make a difference but I sure hope you are using a termination and not just wrapping the wire around the screw.

Just what Pete said.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:36pm
What Pete and Allen said. Plus, those push button breaker switches will occasionally stick on, especially if they had not previously been used for anything. You can get replacements at Skidim or Nautiqueparts.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 2:32pm
For the time being I just have it wrapped around the screw, sounds like this is a bad idea??
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 5:19pm
You also want to use some form of terminal. Also heat shrink terminals will extend the life of the connection. They prevent water from getting in and corroding the connection.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic