NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cypress or doug fir?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cypress or doug fir?
    Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:38am
I'm finally ordering the wood for my stringers, but I found out that the lumber mill I'm using has cypress as well as doug fir.

From what I'm reading Cypress is much more rot resistant (either choice will be CPES'd)

Also, are their different types of doug fir? I was reading that there are two different species.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:50am
There are different species of fir but DF is a specific species. Seeing as how cypress grows in Florida and Correct Craft is in Florida and they used DF which grows out West, I would think it safe to assume they used the DF for a reason.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:55am
Thats a very good point. The stringers are pretty bad but not bad considering they are 47 years old and look like they were half ass installed. No fiber or resin in the drainback holes!

Today I read D. FIR- PRENIUM on a piece of lumber. Does that make it without any doubt that it is what I want? It was also from douglas county, go figure.

must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:47am
Does Premium have less knots? i.e better grade?
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:06am
I'd go with the Doug fir. The Cypress is on the oily side which gives it the rot resistance but also makes it harder for epoxy to bond to it. However, with a CPES treatment, it's not that big of an issue.

Even though lumber grade titles will vary among lumber associations and regions, "premium" is a new one for me. The typical grading system with use #1common, 2,3,4 or higher grades will be have a letter grade (b,c,d).

Don't forget to ask them to get the moisture meter out and check the lumber. I suggest 8% or lower.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd go with the Doug fir. The Cypress is on the oily side which gives it the rot resistance but also makes it harder for epoxy to bond to it. However, with a CPES treatment, it's not that big of an issue.

Even though lumber grade titles will vary among lumber associations and regions, "premium" is a new one for me. The typical grading system with use #1common, 2,3,4 or higher grades will be have a letter grade (b,c,d).

Don't forget to ask them to get the moisture meter out and check the lumber. I suggest 8% or lower.

So a 3 or 4 is the highest grade (or a c,d) ?

Is there a moisture content that is too low? (IE might start cracking?)

If its 8%, I can use it immediately, epoxying and what not?

Also, did CC use polyester resin or epoxy resin?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:50pm
The higher the nunber and the higher the letter the poorer the grade. The lettering system is typical to finish (select) lumber and the numbering is typical of common lumber.

The 8% is a good starting point. Yes, you can start with the CPES at about 8% or lower. There isn't a too low percentage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:32pm
Well I've called about 12 different lumber places in about 100 sq miles. I'm just going to have to get the fir from home depot, bummer. Theres a local place that sells it but they store their lumber outside.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 6:23pm
You need to check cabinet shops or woodworking shops. If they don't have it perhaps they can tell you where to get it.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:19pm
"premium" = big box marketing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

"premium" = big box marketing

YES!!!
The "home centers" will have C**P and probably Hem fir and not Doug!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 1:55am
It is in fact Doug fir, stamped with a WWPA rating. I bought all the pieces I needed, Once coated in CPES it won't matter.

Took a while to find really nice pieces but it was worth it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

It is in fact Doug fir, stamped with a WWPA rating. I bought all the pieces I needed, Once coated in CPES it won't matter.

Took a while to find really nice pieces but it was worth it.

I'm surprised and glad you found it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic