NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HONDA

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HONDA
    Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:35am
My wife took her Honda Pilot to the dealership today for an oil change. I normally do all the service on our vehicles however with the Pilot we have an extended warranty and they recommend letting them do it. (yes of course they would......) however due to record keeping and price and convenience i let them do the first service. specifically asked for Mobil 1 full synthetic (which they charged me for). Noticed a few days ago when i looked at the sticker they put in the window while driving the car it had synthetic blend in it Honda brand. Today she took it in for an oil change before our trip down to the sjrr. i explained to the service writer about the confusion with the last oil change he reimbursed me $24.00. Then told me it needed its 15k mi service. I thought ok. well this guy told me that it would include full synthetic oil and filter. windshield wipers. Check the trans fluid. Belts and hoses grease the entire front end and grease points rotate tires adjust brakes and check pad wear. and top off all fluids. Now the part im pissed about. This guy told me that they would also change the rear Diff fluid for the 4 wheel drive because the pilot is front wheel drive but has a drive shaft with cv axles in the rear that locks when you engage. when i crawled under the car tonight. That plug has never had a wrench on it spare tire has to be removed to do this service and it had not been touched either. wife paid $328.00 for this and they weren't even courteous enough to use wiper fluid just water. now its got me wondering if they even did anything but change the oil which i know they did because the oil is clean. anyone else had this experience needless to say im pissed because i dont mind paying for the job as long as they DO THE JOB!!!!! what should i do
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 9:38am
One of the reasons I do not set foot at a BMW dealer again...
They charge you a bunch of dough and you have no control whatsoever if it's done right.

Long live forums!
The Belgian BMW-forum saved me plus minus 1500$ in the last four months...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 10:13am
Call the regional service rep. Throw a fit. You'll get hooked up. Also, call the owner not he manager of the dealership. Last time I checked Honda usually used Mobile 1.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 11:25am
These mileage services are the dealers service departments bread and butter. The mechanics get paid good for them but the repetitious work gets sloppy. Your best bet is to buy the parts from them for your records and do the job yourself. Dealers are only good for repairs not maintenance.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Call the regional service rep. Throw a fit. You'll get hooked up. Also, call the owner not he manager of the dealership. Last time I checked Honda usually used Mobile 1.

+ 1. I'd act like you just spent over $300.00 for nothing but an oil change.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

...Belts and hoses grease the entire front end and grease points rotate tires adjust brakes and check pad wear. and top off all fluids. Now the part im pissed about...now its got me wondering if they even did anything but change the oil which i know they did because the oil is clean. anyone else had this experience needless to say im pissed because i dont mind paying for the job as long as they DO THE JOB!!!!! what should i do

"Greasing the Front End" suggests that the front end has zerk fittings... which I'd be surprised if it did. I've never been under a Pilot, but I've been under more than a few Hondas and I've never seen a zerk anywhere. Zerks are getting rarer and rarer and live mostly on domestic full size trucks.

You could check for yourself around the ball joints and tie rod ends. Sometimes drive shaft universal joints would have them. But I'm guessing on a Honda those would be sealed in a rubber boot more like a front wheel drive universal joint.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

...Belts and hoses grease the entire front end and grease points rotate tires adjust brakes and check pad wear. and top off all fluids. Now the part im pissed about...now its got me wondering if they even did anything but change the oil which i know they did because the oil is clean. anyone else had this experience needless to say im pissed because i dont mind paying for the job as long as they DO THE JOB!!!!! what should i do

"Greasing the Front End" suggests that the front end has zerk fittings... which I'd be surprised if it did. I've never been under a Pilot, but I've been under more than a few Hondas and I've never seen a zerk anywhere. Zerks are getting rarer and rarer and live mostly on domestic full size trucks.

You could check for yourself around the ball joints and tie rod ends. Sometimes drive shaft universal joints would have them. But I'm guessing on a Honda those would be sealed in a rubber boot more like a front wheel drive universal joint.

According to a Honda Pilot owners site the Pilot has CV joints, not universal joints both front and rear, just like most light duty SUVs. CV joints are sealed by a rubber boost and are not serviceable.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:59pm
I'm not so sure how much of a Honda issue this is, versus your specific dealership.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm not so sure how much of a Honda issue this is, versus your specific dealership.

+1... but also I think that dealer saw you coming... I'd pitch a royal fit about the lube on the front end.   I currently own 3 hondas, and have had 5 others in the last few years... none of them had grease fittings on the front. Ditto on the CV joints... unless they pulled the axle, they can't service the joints properly.   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 9:19pm
I would negoatiate a settlement that includes the 30K service for free.

You have clear evidence of non-conformance, don't let them off the hook!

You could threaten to post your experience on the internet -- guess you already did that.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 11:49pm

what should i do

cut your losses, buy american
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

what should i do

cut your losses, buy american

While I am a big advocate of buying American, I believe this problem transcends vehicle make. I have no doubt that this happens at many dealerships, both foreign make and American as well as many private repair shops.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:23am
Yeah, I think a lot of places try to pull the old "adjust the brakes etc." You don't really adjust brakes on modern cars either. Maybe the emergency brake? They adjust themselves. All you can do is inspect the pad material and then replace pads rotors etc. if they are worn.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:27am
Dealers will stick it to you. There's a chevy dealer 1 mile from my house. Best prices and highest volume in the state. I've bought a couple trucks from them in the past 6 years. I know the service manager and sales manager. I bought an '02 Suburban last summer from my brother. Mint condition, but I knew it would need some mechanical updates. I brought it into this dealer because they sent me a free coupon for a sticker. The guy calls me with a laundry list with over $5k in repairs that it needed. After applying a coupon that I had and making me feel like I totally beat him down on price, he said he could do the work for $3,500. I brought it to another dealer in a more rural area and they did the same work for $2,500. A lot of dealers will stick it to you. I'd bring the car back and show the service manager that you got charged for something they didn't do.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 12:50am
I would like to share this dealership story.
My friend called me three weeks ago to look at his daughters 88,000 mile Honda Accord. She is a young college student working to pay her way. She had taken the Accord to the dealership several times and had paid somewhere around $2,500 dollars for repairs, most recently they installed a new radiator, thermostat, flushed the cooling system and some other services because the car was losing coolant and running rough. When I looked at it the car was still losing coolant and running rough and the MIL was on. The exhaust smelled nice and sweet. No surprise, I found that #2 and #3 had compression of 65-75#. Diagnosis, blown head gasket. My friend is very skilled and runs an honest repair shop.$1,400 dollars later the car was fixed properly. Now let the dealership drama begin.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:09am
there is also the cost for male vs female, female always get the upcharge
This is the life
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:44am
When I take my car to be serviced (usually only because I don't have the time to do myself) before I ever leave the lot I check their work. If it is a simple oil change, I check the oil and filter to make sure it is full to the line and the filter is new. Most of the time this kind of pisses off the workers, but I do not care and the next time I take it there, I know they will remember me and do it right.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:39am
My last Honda was purchased with 105,000 miles on it for $7,500 plus the cost of a timing belt. Ran it up to 180,000 miles with a few repairs, but nothing major, and sold it six years later for $3,000.

Bought a VW and still have the powertrain warranty. I'm cutting service intervals in half, but am just buying parts and letting an Indy mechanic do the work. Keeping good records, but I don't have confidence that the dealer can do better. So far, 93 octane and synthetic oil for my CC is expensive. But I sure do love the heck out of driving that car.   
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic