Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Filter Change?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filter Change?
    Posted: March-11-2012 at 10:54pm
Hey guys, the weather was nice today, so the wife and I, or I should say I decided that it was nice enough outside to take the first cruise of the season. We normally cruise around 25mph for most of the river, but open it up for a few seconds once in a while. We were about 30 min. into our journey when I let her rip for a bit and all of a sudden it started to sputter and like it was gasping for fuel or something. I backed off the throttle while it still sputtered and when finally in neutral, she died. Took a few pumps and about 3/4 throttle to get her back going again and was fine. I should mention thaqt last year on our last outing of the season, Amy pulled me footing at WOT and all of a sudden we slowed down considerably and then picked speed back up to normal, when I got in the boat she said the same thing happened, boat was as WOT and then sputtered, slowed down, and then picked speed back up. Engine has a new carb from two years ago, but I have never replaced fuel filter. I can almost be certain that it is still the original one, and if not, is relatively old. Am I on the correct path to fix this problem? 96' Ski, 351w carbed, 1-1:23 tranny. Thanks

Mark
levin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 11:00pm
its a start, work from the fuel pump back, may even want to pull the anti-siphon valve on top of the tank and clean, when that does happen see if the hose is collapsing between the pump and the filter, b filter and clean the AS valve
"the things you own will start to own you"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 11:05pm
It could be the filter but could it possibly be bad gas? Before throwing parts at it I'd siphon whats left and replenish it with fresh and see if the problem continues. If so then you could have a filter problem. If the filter is clogging up you might have to change the main fuel line from the tank to the filter. This wonderful alcohol blended fuel might be working on the rubber. That would be my first line of attack.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:01am
Thanks for the responses guys, I will check the AS valve, and hose from tank to filter, and filter. With the same symptom occurring at the end of the season, I believe that the fuel issue would not be it. Last season was the really the first full use of the boat and we put about 75 hrs on it, we bought it the the previous fall. Like I said, the carb is new, and pump also and has run great till the just now. That is why I thought it could be a bad filter. Also, the boat sat for three years without use before we bought it, hence, the new carb. I'll keep you guys posted. On the other hand, is sure was nice to get out on the water in the middle of March!
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:53am
One more question, I went out and checked out the AS vavle and looked at the filter and found an inline fuel filter #R080024.   This is the only filter I could fine, and when I looked it up on DIM, that filter came up as a fuel injection filter. May be a dumb question, but is this correct filter for my appliction, or did the PO mess with things, and Eric, can you explain a little more in detail on how to clean the AS valve, I know I can figure it out, but I might as well get the proper instructions from you?   Thanks
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:21pm
Is it a filter like this? This is all I have.
Edit, picture added.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 5:46pm
Yep Brian, thats the one I have. Gonna order a new one and clean out the AS valve after work today and see how she runs. Looks like a nice weekend ahead of us up hers, so hopefully will be able get out again, maybe a ski this time. Any other suggestions?
levin
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 6:07pm
as far as cleaning the valve I just took mine out and shot with a little brake cleaner and compressed air.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 9:04pm
I just took some parts cleaner and sprayed into the valve, then pushed the ball back and forth with a little pick, did that process a couple times. Hopefully any debris or crud stuck around the ball was broke loose. O.K., here is one more question or two. This may sound a little dumb, but I am no engine mechanic and want to figure things out. Can someone explain exactly how the fuel pump operates on my engine along with the carb? I see no wires to the pump, so how does it function in relation to the carb? There is no pump in the tank is there? Fuel is just drawn up through the AS valve, through the filter, to the pump, to the carb. Never messed around with carbs/fuel systems, so am trying to learn here. Thanks
levin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 9:42pm
Levin,
A mechanical fuel pump works off a stroke produced by the cam. It activates/pushes/pulls a diaphragm inside the pump. Fuel flow is kept moving in the proper direction by check valves in the pump controlling the "in" and "out".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 10:43pm
Thanks Pete, I see how the pump is connected to the engine and understand what you are saying, thanks again for the insight
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:49pm
Mark, if this happens again, do a little test, I'd be interested to see what you find:

1.) If it slows down, sputters and dies out, don't immediately crank the engine again. (Because cranking would deliver fuel, and would ruin the test).

2.) Open the engine cover and remove your spark arrestor.

3.) Look at the primary barrels, the two under the choke flap (obviously the choke should be open at this point)

4.) Have an assistant pump the throttle a couple of times as if you were just starting the boat. You should see good steady shots from the accelerator pump going into your primaries. If you don't see this, it would be a good indication that the carb has been starved for fuel somehow (filter, pump etc.)
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 10:54pm
Thanks Brian, I'll give that a try. However, I'm still learning here, can you describe exactly where the spark arrestor is, or looks like?    Thanks for the guidance
levin
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

Thanks Brian, I'll give that a try. However, I'm still learning here, can you describe exactly where the spark arrestor is, or looks like?    Thanks for the guidance

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:37pm
I got myself one of these:
Thumb Screw

If you don't already have one, it's $3.95 well spent. You don't need a socket set each time you want to remove the arrestor and look at your carb.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:52pm
10-4, I didnt realize that the spark arrestor was a different terminalogy for a flame arrestor. Learn something everyday
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

10-4, I didnt realize that the spark arrestor was a different terminalogy for a flame arrestor. Learn something everyday

Actually, that's my mistake on that one. Flame arrestor is the correct terminology. I incorrectly called it a spark arrestor.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 9:37pm
O.K. fellas, heres what happened today. After probing around with AS valve, and replacing fuel filter this week, everything was good at WOT. Then I went for a coulple runs and on one of them as Amy was idleing back to me, the boat stalled and wouldnt fire back up for her. After I got back in the boat, I pulled the flame arrestor and looked down the carb and was going to try Brians test, instead I found a constant drip of fuel and puddling up of fuel in the front two barrels. I proceded to throttle up to about 3/4 and it fired back up after a few cranks. Can you guys give me some guidence on how to fix this, and why is fuel dripping that much into the front barrels when the engine is shut down. Thanks guys,
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 9:43pm
Hmmm, sounds like a carb rebuild is in order.

That can happen for a couple of reasons. The float could be set at the wrong level, but that's not going to happen all of a sudden. More likely the needle and seat (part of the rebuild kit) are bad or there's some dirt stuck in there.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:02pm
Geez, I hope that the carb doesnt need rebuilt, it was put on new in the fall of '10, and has only one full season on it (about 75 hrs.) from last year. Is there a reason Brian why it would need a rebuild after that little use?
levin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:08pm
Sounds like a small piece of trash is holding the needle off the seat.(in the carb float bowls)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:14pm
Andy is probably more on the mark. I didn't realize the carb was so new.

Were you getting good use out of it at one point? I know a member here had some troubles with a brand new carb, because the float level still needed to be adjusted.

I think you can take the front bowl off without removing the carb (to clean it out), but it may just be easier to remove the carb. The front bowl is pretty easy to get off, you but you may need a new bowl gasket.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:15pm
Thanks Andy, if there is debris holding the needle off the seat, what is the correct procudure to fix that. I dont know much about these carbs and how they function, but am mechanically inclined enough to be able to follow some instructions. I appreciate the help. Hopefully I can mess around with it tomorrow morning and take her out in the afternoon.
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:29pm
Mark, this might help you get started. It's a PDF for the tech sheet that comes with a typical 4160 Holley Renew Kit. My only concern about pulling off the front bowl without the kit in hand, is that you may find you need to replace the bowl gasket. Also, the little O-rings that seal the bowl to bowl fuel transfer tube can tear. They also come in the kits though.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R8339.pdf
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:52pm
Brian, I have had no problems at all except for the cutting out at WOT I previously described. But after cleaning out AS valve, and new filter, that did not happen today. There have been a few instances last year where I had to give some throttle to start it back up, but today was the first time I actually looked down the carb and the excessive fuel is what I found. Other than that, the boat runs great, nice and smooth at "wine" cruising speed (25 mph) and I went for a few long runs at 34mph, which Amy said there were no issues at all, smooth as can be. It just stalled that time ideling back, and had to throttle up to start it on the other time.
levin
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 12:26pm
Brian, with the carb being that new, do you think I still risk tearing the gasket and o-rings when I pull off the bowl. If so, I'll order the gasket kit before proceeding. Thanks
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 1:12pm
^^ Mark, I'm not sure on that. I know those blue gaskets are supposed to be able to be used over and over again. Skidim sells those blue bowl gaskets individually. Not sure if the newer carbs come with them.

It's funny, I was just about to post here anyway. I had a funny theory about the carb problem. I'm thinking it's basically totally seperate from the fuel filter/fuel starvation thing.

But, I was thinking maybe the carb wasn't seeing enough fuel flow/pressure before to see any issues.

Good luck, I'm off for Southie St. Patty's celebration
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:07am
Good morning guys, I did want to take the fuel bowl off and start messing around with things before I had a gasket set, and I was told to give this procedure a try "Sounds like you have a leaking float or possibly a blown power valve if its a Holly. You can try to clear the float by raising the rpms to around 1500-2000 and putting your hand over the top of the carb to choke the air supply [Remove your hand before the engine dies repeat a few times until dripping stops at idle] . This will force a lot of fuel through the carb and may flush out the debris holding the float open". Are there any other procedures I can try to clear the float before I take the bowl off? I will try this method this weekend if I get out, we'll see what happens. Thanks
levin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic