NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

California????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California????
    Posted: February-12-2012 at 4:35pm
California sure is known for protecting it's people but, has it gone too far? I just ran over to pick up a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" fir ply. I use it as the sacrificial backing for mounting bowl blanks on the face plate of my wood lathe. This is the first time I've seen this but printed on one face is, "caution, wood dust from this product is known in the state of California to cause cancer". Give me a break!! I guess I'll just need to stop doing any woodworking! Ether that or never move to California!! Yes, The land of "fruits and nuts"!! Sorry to any members on the west coast but I really feel the state has gone way too far. I deal with environmental issues every week at the plant. Two weeks ago, I had dosimeters put on 12 employees in areas of potential problems. The results have not come back yet but we are just trying to be on the safe side. It seems California is just going way over the head of OSHA. The sawdust from Fir ply routine just got me into a rant!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 6:18pm
Oh no, here comes the "it is Obamas fault" crowd.

In the interest of humor, I will be watching this thread.

How exactly is it a bad thing to print the dangers of a product on the product to warn of the potential dangers to those that are not aware?

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 6:36pm
Wheat dust is very flammable, I would imagine so is saw dust
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 7:09pm
The government could drop cancer,heart,liver,kidney deaths etc by 75% if you had to turn yourself in by the age 21 to be terminated.It would also help with the deficit and the social security underfunding. You could call it Logans Law

Eric,sugar is explosive too where do you draw the line?You have to use common sense
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 7:13pm
When do we start making soylent green?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 7:15pm
http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/pdfs/msds/301.pdf
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/pdfs/msds/301.pdf

Andy,
Thanks for the link to the MSDS. I've just completed updating the ones at the plant. Damn, I had to even put the "white out" from the office in the book!!

BTW, here's the proper link

Unlike other sites, linking is NOT automatic on CCfan. Haven't I explained this to you before?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

How exactly is it a bad thing to print the dangers of a product on the product to warn of the potential dangers to those that are not aware?

Maybe its not a bad thing, just like maybe its not a bad thing to warn people not to iron their clothes while wearing them, but they do that too. I guess the point is, just how stupid do you have to treat people to protect yourselves these days.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 8:44pm
Not necessarily Obama but definitely liberal. You cant run things trying to be totally safe and green. There is some risk to everything. These kind of precautions and restrictions add unnecessary cost sometimes making the product unsellable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

just how stupid do you have to treat people to protect yourselves these days.

Larry,
You'll need to ask this question to the people at OSHA!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 9:04pm
Ironing clothes while wearing them might be a stretch to compare but ok.

I remember in shop class never wearing a resperator, and I never saw people do it then, and to think we all had to be told it was bad to breathe the dust from treated wood.

Well duh.

I hear you though, it can be a bit much. And those of you working with the stuff know better, but what about the guy who buys a sheet at home deepthroat, think he knows?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Not necessarily Obama but definitely liberal. You cant run things trying to be totally safe and green. There is some risk to everything. These kind of precautions and restrictions add unnecessary cost sometimes making the product unsellable.

I am glad you said liberal. So in other words liberals stand to protect the common man?   That is what I think too.

Surely more cost effective to print a little label than to defend your industry in a class action suit.

Sort of like the smokers. Really, wouldn't you know it's bad for you to inhale that crap, they would have saved a bunch if they put the warning labels on way back then.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Oh Man, saw Soylent Green and Westworld as a double feature when I was about nine, scared the heck out of me!!

Alright, gotta go sniff some glue
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 9:23pm
Pete,
The last 4xx8 sheet of ply wood I got from Lowes had the same warning. Some of the adhesives I use at work say there illegal in California.
Common sense is a thing of the past.

PS I love the smell of saw dust.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2012 at 11:35pm
I like this one

This ones good too

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 12:32am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

I am glad you said liberal. So in other words liberals stand to protect the common man?   That is what I think too.

No the liberals want to dumb things down to the point where we are all treated like idiots, and can not do anything an idiot is not capable of, whether we are or not. Think about it, a Mazeratti can take an off ramp at 60, but is subject to a 25mph speed limit set up for 18 wheelers to not role over. There were many traffic laws I could ignore when I was driving a big clumsy ambulance that I must adhere to in my personal and much more capable personal vehicle. My driving skills are the same and I find other drivers much more predictable in the absence of lights and sirens, but I am treated as if my driving skills are no better than a 16 year old on the first day with his new license, or an 85 year old hat wearing Iowan. we legislate for the lowest common denominator in the name of fairness.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 12:53am
So what do you suggest the republicans do about those pesky speed limits?
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Oh Man, saw Soylent Green and Westworld as a double feature when I was about nine, scared the heck out of me!!

Alright, gotta go sniff some glue

Yes, after reading the sawdust warning on the Fir ply, I had to go over to the cabinet and pull out the can of Weldwood contact cement!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 12:13pm
For every action there is a reaction. The problem is the same people that legislate the changes and bans on products are following their own agenda. They dont look or care about the consequences of their actions.
Ban DDT millions die of malaria.Stop ALL drilling in the gulf thousands loose their jobs. Life is not always without risk I think it should be up to the individual to decide what is safe.
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 12:30pm
have any of you had to attend any HAZWOPER traing. if you ever get the chance to, jump off a cliff instead. i have to attend an 8hr refresher every year and listen to the the most boring instructor go on and on about new ways people have discovered to injure/kill themselves. 99.9% of the time it is irrelevent to my job field.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 7:11pm
You can't make anything idiot proof. There is no limit to what an idiot can come up with to endanger himself.
Bob Ed
83 2001
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 10:53pm
The gene pool gets shallower with each sunset.........Billy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 5:08am
California only got one Stella Award in 2011

Stella Awards

It's time again for the annual "Stella Awards." For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico, where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head.

Here are the Stellas for the past year:

* SEVENTH PLACE *

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence d*ckson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for d*ckson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when d*ckson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay d*ckson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.

* FOURTH PLACE *

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, scores because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

*SECOND PLACE*

Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware, sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000 … and … oh, yeah, dental expenses.

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her — are you sitting down? — $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed its

manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

This is the life
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 6:27am
Sorry, but two words come to my mind: un-f*cking believeable!!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 4:22am
Back in my Paramedic days I responded to a guy who had taken apart a broken wind up infant swing. ( I don't really blame him, I would take a few risks to get a crying baby to sleep). The insides let loose and the spring wound up wrapped around his hand with one end through his thumb nail and bone (ouch!). I hooked him up to some nitrous oxide to take the edge off. Just before we left for the ER, I found the lid he had removed from the unit and read him the label. "Warning: spring under tension, do not remove this cover, serious injury may result". I said "You can't even sue". That's the beauty of public service, who is he going to call, the other 911? I figured they could cure every disease in the world, but as long as they did not cure stupidity I would have a job, or as my dad frequently told me growing up, because of a poor mind the whole body suffers.
1987 Ski Nautique

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 1:49pm
You can thank California for those new gas cans with the sorry vent. I think it was introduced by C.A.R.B., California Air Research Bureau. Someone told me the other day that if you get in a wreck, their lawyer told them to pee on themselves, you can sue for more money for humiliation.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 10:34pm
None of the warnings on products prevent anyone from suing or prevailing in a lawsuit.

Those CARB approved cans do not work at all, they spill more raw fuel than anything else, I use VP Racings "utility" jugs and do not spill a drop and keep them closed so they are not gassing off vapors to the atmosphere. However the air in Califormnia is much cleaner than it was back in the 70's with millions less vehicles on the roads so something is working to clear the air.    
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic