NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter for rr 318 Chrysler?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter for rr 318 Chrysler?
    Posted: December-17-2011 at 2:23pm
Where is the best place to buy a marine starter for my 318. The one I have is toast.
Thanks
Bill
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 4:29pm
You might try calling Marysville Marine
Link to Marysville
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Where is the best place to buy a marine starter for my 318. The one I have is toast.
Thanks
Bill

Bill,
What's wrong with it? Have you had it to a "auto electric" shop if you can't figure it out yourself?

Starters are pretty basic in that if the field and armature is OK then it usually is just a minor "tune up". This involves cleaning up the armature commutator (preferably on a lathe), undercutting the insulation between each commutator contact, installing new brushes and then new shaft bushings. Many will do it themselves. We can help if needed but first, why is it "toast"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:01pm
Pete
I took it to a repair shop...it has no tags or numbers on it for parts ordering. He told me it needed all new insides.   I am all ears and do appreciate the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Pete
I took it to a repair shop...it has no tags or numbers on it for parts ordering. He told me it needed all new insides.   I am all ears and do appreciate the help.

Bill,
Does the starter "turn over"? My first reaction is the shop you took it to isn't the greatest due to it missing "tags", they are lost! "all new insides" - was he specific? Did he even get the VOM out and check the armature and field?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 1:25pm
Pete

It did nothing but click when hooked to a battery. He did say it needed a new armature as this one is shorted out. He has done a whole lot of work for me in the past so I think he knows starters. I don't think he was comfortable
With the fact it was marine and also for a rr motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 11:24am
Bill,
It sounds like you are comfortable with this guy but you also mentioned he may br uncomfortable with the starter since it's marine and a RR. Are you sure it's a RR since many of the marinizations put the starter on the back side of the bell housing which reversed the cranking direction. I suggest another shop or just going back looking for a starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 11:40am
The 318 starters are in the normal position and are RR.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 12:06pm
Bill,
Looks like your best choice is Marysville.

AR 50109 Used on LM318, M340, and M360
CCW/RH Inboard Engines & M383,
M400, and M440 CW/LH Engines
$245.95

Gary,
I know where the starter is located on a marine 318 but really haven't had the opportunity to see where they put them on the automotive version!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 12:26pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 4:15pm
Bruce

Can read the tag that is in the picture? That might give me the numbers I need to order parts.
Bill
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 4:54pm
Bill,
These are the numbers off of my spare (not ready to part with) 318 RR starter.

MDT-7001
6Y00904
1869297 - (2nd and 3rd digits are very hard to verify, someone hit the starter with a hammer or something)
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 7:38pm
Thanks critter. I gave him those numbers and I have a new one coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic