Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fogging Engine ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
VTCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fogging Engine ?
    Posted: September-25-2011 at 10:57pm
   Does everyone fog the engine? and is it necessary if stored inside in a cold but dry place with a winterized block?. My real issue is that I hired a guy to winterize my Ski Nautique and I don't think he fogged it.The oil was changed but I don't think he fogged it.I'm debating on blowing out the anti freeze and doing the whole process again this time fogging it.Any opinions on this ? Thank You
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 12:14am
Charlie,
Not everyone fogs an engine. What year SN? If your concerned you could pull the spark plugs and spray oil directly into each cylinder. I would turn the engine over a few times by hand to help coat the cylinders, then replace the plugs.

I see no reason to blow the antifreeze out.

maybe someone else will chime in with other ideas...
btw..welcome!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

If your concerned you could pull the spark plugs and spray oil directly into each cylinder. I would turn the engine over a few times by hand to help coat the cylinders, then replace the plugs.

I see no reason to blow the antifreeze out.

I 2nd   
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
VTCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 10:19am
Thanks for the info ,the boat is a 92 Ski Nautique in near perfect condition and I plan on keeping it that way.I will probably pull the plugs and give a little oil.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 11:31am
If you choose to take out the plugs, NAPA has fogging foam in a spray can, too easy

I'd just take off the water pump belt, start it up a moment and slowly pour some 2-stroke oil down the carb till i see smoke, shut it off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 8:01pm
I fog everything. Simply because it takes a minute in the spring to get the oil flowing through the system once again...so all of that cranking is done with a decreased amount of lubrication.

Plus, engines start like they were run the day before with the fluid.

I swear by it. It's easy, quick, and effective.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2011 at 9:05pm
Matt - Just so you aren't giving a false impression, the fogging will not help a great deal with start up lube. Yes, it helps the rings & valve guides (which don't get much lube anyway), but does nothing for the bearings. For that you would need to pull the dizzy & actuate the oil pump manually. I don't bother with that, have been taking my chances with just starting.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 1:02am
I haven't fogged mine in 22 years. I take the belt off the RWP after winterizing (full of antifreeze) and about once a month I crank it and let it idle for about 10 seconds, wait a while and crank it again. I put my hands on the heads and exhaust mainfolds to make sure they're not getting very warm. Then I put the cover back on. This keeps everything lubed and the carb from drying out.
Tim D
VTCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 11:06pm
   If you take the main belt off you can start it and it won't blow the antifreze out or the impellar burning up ? .Thank you for the info
                                         Charlie
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 10:34pm
fogging oil $2.00 new engine THOUSANDS you do the math
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 11:25pm
Wheres pete on this one? Mr. Original points and condenser and 20 plus years on the same impeller! Id like to hear his take on fogging vs no fogging.

Personally, I think its over rated. If its around, use it. If not, youll be fine. Really you should pull the heads off and put rags of soaked 2 stroke oil in there and put the heads back on again....
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 11:38pm
Eric, I can't see a reason NOT to do it, especially on a carbed engine. After I warm up the engine for the final oil change, I run at fast idle, fog it, and shut off. No effort at all. On my '63 I've been fogging with motor oil for the 30 years I've owned it, just like the original owner did. I have used fogging oil on other engines, particularly small engines.

Do I think it's ok to skip a year, the engine will be fine? Yes. But, to not do it at all year after year doesn't make sense to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 12:00am
Does carbed vs fuel injected make that much of a difference as to fogging vs not fogging? Your spraying a lubricant into the cylinders and coating guides, rings and walls. All of which are equally exposed regardless of carb or injection.

What's pcms specs on their new fuel injected motors?

I know indmar says theres no need...but indmar says if 7 out of 8 cylinders have 200 psi and 1 cyl has 155, that's within their allowable % of power. Straight from the horses mouth!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 2:12am
I just meant on a carbed engine you pull the arrestor and fog, so easy to do. I haven't done my GT-40 yet but assume I'll pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, turn the engine over a few times. Not hard, but more work than fogging a carb for a few seconds.

I was just thinking about this - I'm going to take something metal, maybe a couple of nails, and coat one with oil, leave the other dry and put them near the engine over the winter. Maybe they'll both be clean in the spring, or maybe one will be rusty, the other clean. Not sure it's a valid comparison, but might be interesting to see.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Wheres pete on this one? Mr. Original points and condenser and 20 plus years on the same impeller! Id like to hear his take on fogging vs no fogging.

Personally, I think its over rated. If its around, use it. If not, youll be fine. Really you should pull the heads off and put rags of soaked 2 stroke oil in there and put the heads back on again....

Eric,
I have always fogged for winterizing. Back in the late 60's I learned from the "old" guys at Wtercraft Sales!! They mixed 50% 30 engine oil with 50% Marvel Mystery and used a pump oiler squirt can. I did the same for years and still have the pump oiler but find the rattle cans of fogging oil to be easier to use. Just down the carb (or up the carb if you're doing an old one with an up draft - or sideways if you have a YH! ). Raise the RPM's when it starts to bog - give it some more until you see smoke and kill the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic