NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surging and Detonation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surging and Detonation
    Posted: September-24-2011 at 10:54pm
Well threw some new plugs in her and got 2.5mph which is still slow and could just be a bit choppier water and the lack of the bimini.   ProTec is back on the chopping block for the winter. I had high hopes the plugs might work, the wife has given the OK for a Wetsounds upgrade for the tower, I guess it won't be quite as loud now. Lol. Plugs needed to go anyway 300hrs is plenty and only spent $20 inculing the 4 that fell in the lake while I was getting the cover off.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

What you have ruled out is the antisyphon valve, not a fuel issue yet, if the carb is clogged, it MAY or MAY NOT clear , mostly it wont. So I'd be ordering a rebuild kit.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 7:34pm
Okay I beat the rain this morning and had a chance to get the boat out with a mechanic friend. We changed the plugs and gapped them to .045. I had tightened up both fuel bowls and they were not leaking so we watched closely when attempting to run it.

The boat started right up and idled great. We took it out into deeper water and I eased on the throttle. This time, it almost instantly bogged when given throttle. We repeated the process 2 more times and she backfired like crazy both times. We then shut her down and checked everything over.

Since everything looked good, we fired it up and gave it a little fast idle while my buddy sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and spacer to see if we were leaking vacuum...nothing showing. I said, "Okay, let me just hammer down on her and see what we get."

I hammered down on her and she jumped out of the water speeding up to 45 mph with ease. One small hesitation that was barely noticeable. No popping, no decreased speed and shaking, nothing. I throttled down and looked at my buddy in disbelief. We continued testing it for the next hour taking it through all the paces. We even let her idle for about 5 minutes to see if she would "load up." Nothing. Ran awesome!!

Here is his thoughts. Sticking power valve when we first started going. Hammering throttle got it unstuck and it freed itself.

Got the rebuild kit today. I will wait until winter to have carb rebuilt. Crossing my fingers that there might be some upper 70's left this year.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 11:00am
meant to say some pie, lol
should be able to verify the carb by the horn numbers, anythings possible
"the things you own will start to own you"
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 11:36pm
That isn't the original carb. We have a 1992 Surpa Comp Ts6m with the pro boss ho engine and it has the pro-tech ignition. The carb on ours has a different fuel line setup for higher fuel flow, you could be running out of fuel.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I know he wont except money from you, so make sure you bring him a pie or something nice when he's done with the carb

Pie? I think some adult beverages will do the trick! Of course, they will not be brought on school grounds...I like my job!

I would like an opinion or two on this: With layup looming in a few weeks, should I wait to have the carb rebuilt while the boat is in layup so that fresh gas will be used in the spring? I figure that I don't want a fresh, rebuilt carb to sit with gas (even treated) over the winter. Or will treated gas be okay for the layup? Please keep in mind I still have 3/4 of a tank of untreated 91 octane fuel since early July.

FYI: I should have the renew kit by early / middle of next week. Depending on our weather (it has been pretty cold lately, today's high is a balmy 59 degrees), I may have approximately 3-4 weeks left before it starts getting really cold at night. I do not have a heated garage, so I need to winterize before it gets into the 20's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 9:12am
I know he wont except money from you, so make sure you bring him a pie or something nice when he's done with the carb
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:14pm

and if he ever does decide to have me fix, he will bring his own parts that he scabbed somewhere off the internet

Now that has me laughing!

The renew kit, carb to intake gaskets (x2) have been ordered, and the secondary diaphragm for my carb has been ordered. I re-torqued the bolts on both fuel bowls since they were very loose. The carb to intake bolts were tight. Might be a little while until I find the results, but will definitely post if it gets done before the big freeze.

The shop teacher at my school said he would have no problem rebuilding the carb for me. Very nice guy...just got back from Afghanistan right before school started. Very appreciative for all he has done for our country and if any of you have served you have my warmest thanks and utmost respect!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:14am
and if he ever does decide to have me fix, he will bring his own parts that he scabbed somewhere off the internet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:13am
no, ive past this guys house a hundred times, nice 100k proline, he's just to fcn cheap to have someone fix it for him...it'll sit and he will throw a thousand bucks in parts at it, he's one of those guys that says im going to have you do this and do that......but you never see the boat
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 4:31pm

I got this old guy who irratates the fck out of me, new boat nice car and always picks my brain about his boat problems, hasnt spent a dime yet, man, do i send him off in the wrong direction...lol, he just one of those guys. really though, for some reason its the only guy i will do this too and hope it isnt taken the wrong way

I'm not sure how I should take this, but I'll try. I'm thinking you mean crap, or get off the pot?

If so, know that I am working on correcting the carb leaking issues and the leaking vacuum that you had mentioned. Hopefully it will be done this weekend and I will post results.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by kvand347 kvand347 wrote:

Rebuild the carb!!!
Where in central WI. are you?

Pete,

I am in the wonderful city of Stevens Point. Do you pass me on your way to Three Lakes?

Kevin,
No, I don't. My home in Northfield is a nothern suburb of Chicago so I go up via Milwaukee and then 41 and 45.

I thought you might go the 45 route. I originally grew up in Elk Grove Village. My grandmother was the Vice-president of the park district there years ago.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Kevin, your e-mail is private. Shoot me one; I think I have some 351 gaskets from my old boat. I won't need them again, so...

millman1 at   bellsouth dot   net

Email sent you you!
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by JasonR JasonR wrote:

It looks like the leads going to your choke are pretty dirty. I'd clean then and make sure your choke is pulling off when its warmed up. your describing he noise as pinging. I know ringing as a Sharp metallic knock that sounds like its coming from the center of the engine. Usually caused from overly advanced timing under load. is this what your hearing or is the noise coming from the throat of the carb, more like backfiring. This is usually caused from a lean condition under load and would go along with those super clean plugs. May want to pin down the symptoms while your out. By going with the history and what your describing and the plugs it looks like you may have kicked up some feud in the float bowl that has now clogged a main jet on the clean plug side. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

I will clean the leads up. That was my first problem I had with the boat and had to re-attach the ground.

I thought about timing, too. Not sure exactly where the sound is coming from. It's hard to tell when I'm the only one in the boat. I will get a better idea once I get the carb situation fixed and someone else in the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 10:03am
I got this old guy who irratates the fck out of me, new boat nice car and always picks my brain about his boat problems, hasnt spent a dime yet, man, do i send him off in the wrong direction...lol, he just one of those guys. really though, for some reason its the only guy i will do this too and hope it isnt taken the wrong way
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 8:41am

Rebuild the carb!!!

Pete,

I am in the wonderful city of Stevens Point. Do you pass me on your way to Three Lakes?

Kevin,
No, I don't. My home in Northfield is a nothern suburb of Chicago so I go up via Milwaukee and then 41 and 45.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 3:17am
Kevin, your e-mail is private. Shoot me one; I think I have some 351 gaskets from my old boat. I won't need them again, so...

millman1 at   bellsouth dot   net
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 3:14am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Don, maybe it would be a good time to inspect your plugs? I'm wondering if they might be like those posted.

I saw this again and it didn't seem to read as I meant it. I didn't mean to be in your kitchen. I was thinking of comparing them to Kevin's in hopes of finding a trend. Sorry 'bout that.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 1:25am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

is that a normal place to plug the clear line from the fuel pump to the carb? normally don´t the go to the flame arrestor?

I've seen them both

Kap, are you going on saturday to the Axis demo "Choripan night"????
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 1:18am
The red goo on the carb is a patch for the chromed plugs on the bowls, they leak over time.

I have heard that when cleaning the bowls on some solvents you shouldnt leave them for so long or you'll mess the plugs. At the shop we have an ultrasound carb washer and I dont leave them more than 1 hour.

Sometimes you can fix them we epoxy weld, but they should be very well cleaned and dried, you apply the weld with the finger pressing it good all around, let it cure and when installed no leak should be present. If so the bowl must be changed. Carb should have absolutely no leaks.

I guess that if I were in the states I'd throw them and install new.

The base gasket is marked "TOP"

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 1:10am
is that a normal place to plug the clear line from the fuel pump to the carb? normally don´t the go to the flame arrestor?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 1:04am

you'll need to order the gasket kit, the secondary diaphgram and 2 base gaskets.

Strongly agree. I would add a new primary fuel bowl to the mix. It looks like someone tried to repair the inlet, I've heard of these rupturing before, that's no good.

Agree with luchog here, the thing that looks like a UFO Sandwich on the left of the pic is your secondary, that rubber diaphragm does look to be toast:

Again agree with Luch, this pic does support the idea that the carb was removed and rebuilt. However, the base gaskets are not the same all around. Someone re-installed them hastily, it looks like. When you re-install them, keep rotating them 90 degrees, until you are covering the openings the best you can.

I'd go with the two new as stated above as they've been mis-installed for a long time. You can see here what I mean about them not being uniform:
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 12:20am
It looks like the leads going to your choke are pretty dirty. I'd clean then and make sure your choke is pulling off when its warmed up. your describing he noise as pinging. I know ringing as a Sharp metallic knock that sounds like its coming from the center of the engine. Usually caused from overly advanced timing under load. is this what your hearing or is the noise coming from the throat of the carb, more like backfiring. This is usually caused from a lean condition under load and would go along with those super clean plugs. May want to pin down the symptoms while your out. By going with the history and what your describing and the plugs it looks like you may have kicked up some feud in the float bowl that has now clogged a main jet on the clean plug side. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.
'86 2001 800hrs
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:50pm
I can help telling that you need the holley blue reusable gaskets, but not were as I dont live in the states.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:43pm
That's very true! I plan on using it 2-3 days/week every week in summer before lay up in the winter.

Thanks for the heads up on what I need to order. Can this be a local purchase through auto parts store or is it an online purchase?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:35pm
it is surprising how people do some jobs, the carb could have been very well done as it performed fine for 2-3 years. A bad rebuild is noted right away.

As I explained you earlier on the thread, the worst thing for boats is not using them. A carb is performing until suddenly it's full of gunk. If you use it regulary with fresh fuel it keeps clean.
It's very common we rebuild a carb and few months later the owner comes telling the boat's giving him trouble again, firt question is, have you used the boat after the carb was refreshed? what do you think is the answer?
Issue being we need to start the engine to test the rebuild and then the fuel left in the carb gets old and gunks it again.

you'll need to order the gasket kit, the secondary diaphgram and 2 base gaskets.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:19pm

Kevin, I think you could narrow the suggestions on this topic as carb or ignition issue.

The carb cost 60 plus labour
the ignition 500 plus labour

I can recall now another expense being suggested, rather than if it's not the ignition it will need changed sooner or later

If any bolt on the carb is leaking, it will need retightening at least, but a rebuild is still recommended
If there's a vacuum leak at the carb base, first you'd try retorquing the nuts at the base I dont think you described an erratic idle so I doubt a vacuum leak is the issue.

The base gaskets, unless very warped for overtightening, can be reused. the sealeant is truth it doesnt belong there.

Bottom line is you need to go and start wrenching, discussing it here wont solve it.

Gotcha! The idle has not been erratic or "hunting" from what I can tell.

Rebuild of the carb is duly noted and kit will be ordered ASAP. It just bugs me that PO says carb was rebuilt 2-3 years ago and it needs to be done again. RTV suggests that it probably was not done correctly!
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:13pm

Rebuild the carb!!!

Pete,

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:08pm
Kevin, I think you could narrow the suggestions on this topic as carb or ignition issue.

The carb cost 60 plus labour
the ignition 500 plus labour

I can recall now another expense being suggested, rather than if it's not the ignition it will need changed sooner or later

If any bolt on the carb is leaking, it will need retightening at least, but a rebuild is still recommended
If there's a vacuum leak at the carb base, first you'd try retorquing the nuts at the base I dont think you described an erratic idle so I doubt a vacuum leak is the issue.

The base gaskets, unless very warped for overtightening, can be reused. the sealeant is truth it doesnt belong there.

Bottom line is you need to go and start wrenching, discussing it here wont solve it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Weird because the week before I took my 3 and 4 year olds tubing for the first time and it ran great with none of the above symptoms!

now there´s your problem...tubing is BAD...

Yup!! definitively the problem. Get the kids out on something that will give them a talent!!
Rebuild the carb!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic