Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam vs. No foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Jwbolton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwbolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam vs. No foam
    Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:16pm
I was wondering what are the disadvantages of taking the foam out of the hull. And do you put anything in the cavities in place of the foam?
'72 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:49pm
There have been a handful of discussions on this already. Have you tried using the search function?
Jwbolton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwbolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 7:45pm
Searched some more and found what i was looking for.
'72 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 7:54pm
Cool. A domain restricted Google search can sometimes be handy.

Foam won right?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 9:17pm
What weight foam are you going to use? 2 lbs? 4 lbs?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Jwbolton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwbolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 12:29pm
I definately like the idea of refoaming from the stand point of it came that way from the factory. And I also like the idea of pool noodles. Have not made a decision yet on what i'm going to use.
'72 Mustang
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 12:56pm
+1 for pool noodles! They don't hold water, they each will float a 200lb person while he drinks his beer in comfort, and in the hull of a boat, they last a REALLY long time with no signs of breakdown. Mine have been fine under the floor of my boat for almost SIX whole months! And counting!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:05pm
I think its a given that if you choose not to refoam, then the structural rigidity that the foam provides (hull-foam-floor sandwich) should be replaced with something else. Most choose to glass in horizontal ribs.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think its a given that if you choose not to refoam, then the structural rigidity that the foam provides (hull-foam-floor sandwich) should be replaced with something else. Most choose to glass in horizontal ribs.

I would say it is a given in a 82+ SN, it is my choice but debateable in 70s hulls of all type.. but you get into the first gen fiberglass hulls where some where not foamed to begin with and well.. given would be a strong word.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:21pm
I just think it would be funny to see the look on a prospective buyers face when you guys tell them:
"Oh yea, the hull is chuck full of pool noodles."
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I would say it is a given in a 82+ SN, it is my choice but debateable in 70s hulls of all type.. but you get into the first gen fiberglass hulls where some where not foamed to begin with and well.. given would be a strong word.

Fair enough... at least the 1st gen (60's) hulls have been proven to be fine without the foam (and no additional support). Not sure we can say the same about the 70's hulls, as foam was standard by then. I guess I would strip the boat in question down to the bare hull and see how much it flexes under load before deciding that supports were unnecessary.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 1:54pm

Fair enough... at least the 1st gen (60's) hulls have been proven to be fine without the foam (and no additional support). Not sure we can say the same about the 70's hulls, as foam was standard by then. I guess I would strip the boat in question down to the bare hull and see how much it flexes under load before deciding that supports were unnecessary.

I agree and have a tendency to say the 70's hulls can take it without exra support.

Regarding the pool noodles, I'll use one of Tims favorite terms: they are just too "fugly"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:04pm
It's not 'fugly'?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It's not 'fugly'?

You are correct! I wish I had some typing skills!! I did edit the post!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jwbolton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwbolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:26pm
If i end up using pool noodles, I will be putting in some ribs just for a little extra support for the floor.
'72 Mustang
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I just think it would be funny to see the look on a prospective buyers face when you guys tell them:

Hahahah....
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 1:23am
As much time and money as I have in this boat, selling it will NEEEEVER be an option!
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2011 at 8:25pm
From what I've read here since owning a SN, I reckon the foam causes more issues than what it's worth. I totally understand why it's there - positive flotation, structural integrity, sound absorption etc etc, but you only need a light nick in the floor skin and the thing starts filling up with water, with no where to escape.

I don't think there's ever been a 70's 80's or 90's hull manufactured in Oz that had foam under the floor - Lewy may correct me on that one though.

Most hulls have 3 bungs on the transom, a centre for the bilge and two outers to drain the underfloors, if any water was to enter. Some wake boarding guys with older boats have rebuilt the floors to hold ballast water using a gel coating inside.

I reckon if I ever need to redo the floors on mine I'd go no foam.

That's my 2 cents anyway
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:08am
i used pool noodles . i see particles once in a while so i assume either they break down in time or mice get in during the winter .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

or mice get in during the winter .

Dried coyote urine in old nylons works wonders. Available at Ace. Some also use drier anti static sheets too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Clinch the sale, imo
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 4:30pm
thanks pete yes i use drier sheets now in all the cars and the boat seems to work well . i have had a hard time getting the coyotes to go on my wifes nylons they seem to want to do something else to her leg.... yes she has nice legs
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:11am
There are some definite trade offs to be considered when re foaming a boat.
1) It does serve as to add some structural integrity to the boat, but these boats are overbuilt for the types of hull loads that they encounter.

2) Does help quiet the boat down while underway.

3) Most importantly is the added buoyancy that it gives the hull. When originally designed these boats had to be able to pass a level flotation test. Without the foam in the hull if there is a catastrophic breach of the hull your boat will not be able to survive fully swamped.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:36am
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

There are some definite trade offs to be considered when re foaming a boat.
1) It does serve as to add some structural integrity to the boat, but these boats are overbuilt for the types of hull loads that they encounter.

2) Does help quiet the boat down while underway.

3) Most importantly is the added buoyancy that it gives the hull. When originally designed these boats had to be able to pass a level flotation test. Without the foam in the hull if there is a catastrophic breach of the hull your boat will not be able to survive fully swamped.

Lemme just say   

Is there a year range or cut-off point for the second part of # 1?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:37am
FWIW-That topic has been beaten long past when the horse looked like a horse around here.   
1988 BFN-sold

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:53am
Not really the boats have been built lighter over the years, but never to the point that hull loads would become an issue unless you enjoy regularly parking your boat on rock piles.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:01am
You're talking CC's or boats in general?
1988 BFN-sold

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:04am
Correct Crafts, there are plenty of production boats out there that have had little structural calcs done on them. MC and CC though are way over built if you ever look at a lam schedule for one of them.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:12am
I'd luv to see the lam schedule for an 88 BFN. How does one get that info? And don't say 'Ancient Chinese secret'.    
1988 BFN-sold

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:15am
That is not something that you will be able to get a hold of, but if you pull out a thru-hull fitting you can see your hull thickness.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic