Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter/Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nate View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter/Engine
    Posted: August-28-2005 at 12:23am
I finally got my engine running from a tune up, but when starting the motor, the starter just kept turning over. I turned the ignition key off and it still kept turning over intil I disconnected the battery cable. What is wrong with this blasted engine now !!!!

Thanks for any info on this matter !!!!
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 1:34am
First I need to know if its a Ford without a solenoid in the starter or a GM with a solenoid as part of the starter. Its not hard to troubleshoot, all you need is a test light and maybe a couple wrenches for disconnecting some wires.
nate View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 11:12am
It is on a 1985 CC with a ford 351. It has a new starter on it. This is the first time it started to do this.

Thanks for the info

Nate
JAG459 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 10:15pm

Purchase a small 12volt test light at any auto parts store. Disconect the small wire to the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition switch. I would like to tell you which wire it is but my boat is covered and we're still experienceng the affects of hurricane Katrina. Once you remove the wire take the 12volt test light and hook it to the wire and to ground. Cycle the ignition switch through the start position several times, the light should go on and off. If the light stays the problem is in the ignition switch, if it goes on and off when you cycle the switch its good.
Next: If you determine that the switch is good I would then check the relay (solenoid).
You can also follow the same proceedure with the starter side of the relay. At the relay remove the cable going to the starter, connect your test light to the relay terminal and and the other end to ground and then cylce the ignition switch. The light should cycle on and off. If it stays on, just for the heck of it disconnect the small switch wire again. If it still remains lit then its the relay sticking, if it goes out its back to the switch. If it does cycle on and off with the ign switch you either don't have a problem or its intermittent and you'll need to do this proceedure when it occurs.
Good Luck
nate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2005 at 11:42pm
Thanks for all your help !!!
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2005 at 12:24am
Hey JAG459 you are right on. You saved me alot of typing. Your method is perfect. The only other possibility that could happen is you could have a bad solenoid even though it tests ok with a test light. This is due to the fact that with the starter connected, the solenoid could weld the contacts together and stick due to the high current draw of the starter versus the test light.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 11:54am

All, thanks for bringing up this issue. This happened to me out on the lake this past weekend and it was a bit alarming- especially when I too had to unhook the battery to shut the starter off. Nate, I'd be interested in learning what the outcome of your diagnostics were (was it ignition or solenoid?).

Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 12:29pm
We had the same problem this spring with our '86 Ski Nautique 2001. The old solenoid was going out and purchased a new one. The second time we started the boat, the solenoid stuck. I had to disconnect the cable from the battery, but not before the battery ran down (no tools in boat).

Returned it as defective. The replacement stuck about a week later. My brother-in-law (auto mechanic & '76 Ski Nautique owner) hit it with a wood oar. Have not had a problem since.

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 7:13pm
Bill, did the oar stop the problem you were having with your starter or your brother-in-law?

If I hit my computer with my wood oar will I stop having computer problems?

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic