NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strut, cutless,shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut, cutless,shaft
    Posted: August-24-2011 at 12:47am
If someone could help..the strut set screws one is misssing   ( one close to prop ).I can see the shaft and if put screw back in am afraid that it will it the shaft.. now is there sopose to be a sleeve there or what. Please help ..
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 1:03pm
I am no expert and new to the site, but if you read through some of the threads you can learn a lot very quick. Look on www.skidim.com under struts/bearings you will see what they call a strut bearing but is actually the cutlass bearing. It is a bronze sleeved 2 piece bearing with rubber on the inside, more than likely what your seeing is not the shaft it is the outside of the cutlass bearing. However if for some crazy reason there isn't one there you will have a lot of play in the shaft and a huge problem beyond that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 1:32pm
How much radial play do you have on the prop shaft? If the cutlass bearing is missing, there will be about 1/8". Hopefully this is not the case and as mentioned, you are looking at the outer brass case of the cutlass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 1:43pm
Could be a 4" strut bushing installed from the front on a 6" strut, no? That might make the rear set screw unusable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Could be a 4" strut bushing installed from the front on a 6" strut, no? That might make the rear set screw unusable.

Good point but the cutlass should be mounted at the aft end of the strut unless someone really didn't know what they were doing?

A picture would be great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 2:26pm
If you find that the set screw threads are messed (and you have a good cutlass bearing in there) up you can just use some loctite 290 on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

If you find that the set screw threads are messed (and you have a good cutlass bearing in there) up you can just use some loctite 290 on it.

Jody,
The above is a good suggestion. Just in case you don't know about the 290, it's a Locktite you use after asssembly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 4:58pm
I'm curious, is the factory cutless 6" long or are there two pieces in the strut? All of the 1 1/8 id x 1 1/2 od cutless bushings I can find are 4 1/2 inches long. Where does the factory get 6" long cutless bushings?

I guess you just have to install a 4 1/2" cutless flush with the rear of the strut?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 5:17pm
You have a Python?
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You have a Python?

I guess you're asking me because of the 1 1/8" id?

Alas, no mine has the GT 40 with v-drive, no Python.

I missed "General Discussion" tab and hit "Common Questions" and saw this thread without realizing that it was getting a little old.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 6:39pm
Then you don't want a 1 1/8" bushing.

6" long bushing for 1" shaft at Nautiqueparts
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 6:42pm
HW, youre confusing shaft size on direct drives, where only the Pythons got the 1-1/8" shaft. Pretty sure all CC v-drives within the last 20 years have gotten the 1-1/8" shaft regardless of engine choice.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 6:48pm
Thank you Tim. Clearly I should stay out of v-drive threads, this isn't the first one I've made a mess of. Next thing you're going to tell me is they have different rutters and skags...

What makes a v-drive warrant the larger shaft?
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 7:00pm
I don't know why the v-drives got the larger diameter shaft, but I emailed the folks at NautiqueParts about the length of the 1 1/8" bushing and they said theirs was 4 1/2" long.

I was just checking to see if anyone knew where to find a 1 1/8" bushing at 6" length, thanks.

P.S. with the v-drive in the way I'm dreading checking the alignment but I know I shouldn't put it off too long. I just want to do the cutless at the same time because mine is worn.

2nd P.S. You taught me something - I didn't know that the python direct drives got a 1 1/8" prop shaft, thanks.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Thank you Tim. Clearly I should stay out of v-drive threads, this isn't the first one I've made a mess of. Next thing you're going to tell me is they have different rutters and skags...

What makes a v-drive warrant the larger shaft?

Im no v-drive expert by any means... but I believe the v-drives all have larger (1.46+) reduction ratios, and thus, swing bigger props. More torque to the water and bigger props probably drove them to the larger shaft size.

Direct drive Mastercrafts with the 1.5:1 Powerslot transmissions (and 14x18 props) got 1-1/8" shafts too.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 1:17am
Indeed.... equal HP transmitted at a lower RPM due to the lower ratio gear drive = more torque therefore more stress and the need for a larger shaft.

With the material strength and required factor of safety determining the constant

D = sqrt(Hp/RPM) * Constant
if we take 240 hp at 4500 rpm as requiring a 1 inch shaft
Constant = 4.33 (this is reasonable as 4.0 is used as a rule of thumb for the constant when designing a plain carbon steel shaft for an electric motor)

For a 1.24:1 ratio transmission you would then need a 1.101 inch shaft to keep the same factor of safety with the same engine and for a 1.5:1 shaft it would be 1.211 inchs

For a significant increase in hp you need to increase the tensile strength of the shaft or risk bending the shaft.. increase in hp and lower the gear ratio and you really need to consider achieving that hp at a higher RPM or increasing the shaft diameter.

Steady Eddie bent a few shafts when he put a python with the pcm transmission in his two barefoots before he had a few shafts made with the highest tensile strength material he would find. So the factor of safety is not excessive on later model boats with higher hp and gear reduction transmissions.. although most of them at least make peak hp at higher rpms.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic