Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What model do I have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 9:24pm
Babbie, you have a great attitude.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 9:57pm
Babbie,
A broken rod is what I was afraid of. The easiest engine to put back in the boat would be the same as came out, the flywheel forward six banger. Problem is finding one. They werent used that many years. And if you do find one, chances are it wont be in running condition.

The next option is to reload with a V8. This would require some re-work in the hull...engine/tranny mounts, another exhaust hole in transom, throttle/shift linkage rework, possible engine cover clearance issues,
etc.

Do you have someone that can do the work, or will you have to pay someone? This could enter into part of the decision...
You may be able to find a running V8, What about rebuilding your 6 banger?

gotta go..have to eat...more suggestions later....

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 10:45pm
I believe I have someone to do the work. The first thing would be to try to rebuild. The engine is still in the boat so I'm really jumping the gun with questions because I don't know yet what it'll need. I just want to have some options in place should the original motor be unusable. Which I hope is not the case. If it is the case, I'll reload it with a trolling motor just to get it back in the water next year!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2011 at 11:51pm
I would get the engine out and tear it down...see what actual problems you have and hopefully find what caused them. Big thing is to find out if the block is useable and can be rebuilt. One good thing is, this engine is basically an automotive, Ford Falcon engine, not plentiful, but "donor" cars can still be found. here is a guy with some
170 Falcon parts on ebay right now.... wrong end of the country, but they are out there....

One thing to watch, they made this engine in a 144, 170 and 200CI model and I dont think the 200 is a direct bolt in. ( I will probably find out someday)

Regardless of your decision, you have 6 or 7 months to find parts and get it running before next summer.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:03am
Another place to look is Craigslist... here is a complete 170 in Norfolk for $100 !!!! This would have the short block you need for a rebuild ..... might be worth talking with him?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:32am
Do you think mine's a 170 ci
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:34am
By the way, thank you thank you.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Babbie Babbie wrote:

Do you think mine's a 170 ci

You dont happen to know if it is an 85 or 100 HP engine?

Otherwise, the best way to find out is to measure the stroke. Both the 144 and 170 have the same bore. Even if you happen to have a 144, I think the 170 will be a direct replacement. I dont know everything about these engines, but learned a lot last year when I had to replace the head on my 170.

By the way, thank you thank you.

you are most welcome..thats what this site is for! let us know if you have questions anytime!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:51am
Boy for a Chevy guy that 62wood sure knows his Fords I'm glad Steve saw this and was able to help,I think he is now officially the sites inline 6 expert!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Boy for a Chevy guy that 62wood sure knows his Fords I'm glad Steve saw this and was able to help,I think he is now officially the sites inline 6 expert!

Gary, as you remember, it took a loooonnnggg time to get my 6 banger figured out last year when I replaced the head....sad thing is I just got my second "Phord" book for my library... this time for the dang 312 in the Classic.

WHY couldnt they have used more Bowties back then?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 1:39am
Because they were too busy making cars and had none left over? I wonder what the real reason could have been.It did take you a long time to figure that one out,but the key here was you didn't give up!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2011 at 1:43am
Gary,
I heard once that Chris Craft had something to do with it. Almost all of them had Bowties...

When my Chebie buddies give me crap about having Fords in the boats, I tell them they figured out that they run faster backwards than forward!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 2:29am
Babbie,
curious to see what the latest is on the engine/boat?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
libra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 8:17am
This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work.

Cheap Canada Goose
Cheap Herve Leger
Moncler Jackets Cheap

Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 9:10am
Hello!! Glad to hear from you. We pulled the motor and took it down to our marine engine friend. The block was really destroyed, cracked with a big hole in it, etc. At this point we've got some time, so we're keeping our eyes out for a replacement Falcon motor, either whole or in pieces. If that doesn't work there are companies that build replacement blocks. Gonna try to stay as vintage as I can and hope that pans out. Keeping my eye on eBay, etc. nNice to hear from you. Babbie
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 9:38pm
I was at a swap meet today and remembered your post from this morning. There was a falcon booth and he has a '63 260 std, and a '64 289 .030 over; both with other parts. Since we're on opposite ends of the east coast I didn't ask about particulars, but he'll be at the meet tomorrow and I have his # if you want more details.

Were Falcon steering wheels used on any CC's? He had 4.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 10:14pm
Babbie,

Glad to hear you are planning to get the ol girl running again. Are you able to have the original oil pan repaired?

Greg, A 250 will not work. The only engines that will hook back up to the trans is the 144 or 170 6 banger. A 200 has the same patten, but I think it will need some modifications to work, one being notching the oil pan to clear the extra crank throw from a longer stroke.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 10:23pm
And you call yourself a Chevy guy
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2011 at 10:37pm
Oh my God!! Get me one go those steering wheels! The one I have is a lame Indy car something or other. Really! My Interceptor is a 170 CID and no, I have no clue what that means. I'm not sure about the oil pan. It looked like a warped jigsaw puzzle to me!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

And you call yourself a Chevy guy

Gary,
I AM still a "DIE HARD BOWTIE BOY"!

I actually now have two blue-oval books in my library..These d@mned old boats have forced me to learn a lot more than I ever wanted to about furds... first the big bad 6 banger .. now the 312 in the Classic.   

............just dont tell any of my buddies!

Babbie, you might want to order one of those books!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 8:34am
My bad Steve. Once again, anything non 88 BFN befuddles me.

The good news, going on the conversation, is I'm thinking he has 6 bangers as well. That is if the shipping isn't prohibitive.

Here are the wheels. He also has a number of the center pieces(horn lever?).

1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 10:59am

My Interceptor is a 170 CID and no, I have no clue what that means. I'm not sure about the oil pan. It looked like a warped jigsaw puzzle to me!!

Save all the pieces of the pan. It can be welded back together. If you find a block, you will need the cast pan. It's part of the marinization "package".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 11:40am
I looked through some pics of older boats and the closest wheel to these is on Steve's Classic. Were these ever on CC's? Are they worth bothering with?

I don't mind going back over today if there is interest, but they will only be there as long as they have a crowd and today is the last meet this year.
1988 BFN-sold

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 12:03pm
The wheel shown earlier in this post was on my 64 A. Skier, and is a boat-specific wheel(I've seen them on other brands as well).

As did a lot of boat mfgr's, CC used auto wheels a lot. My 62 Classic is from an early 60's Plymouth Valiant. My 66 Cuda SS is from a late 50's Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. My 62 Higgins wheel is from an early 50's Willys Overland.

I personally have not seen the wheels you pictured used on a boat. They are cool tho.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 12:55pm
Yes, we saved all of the oil pan pieces. I think one of those 3 spoke steering wheels would be cool. If you could get me the name and number of that swap meet dealer, that would be cool.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 1:02pm
I'm going back over in a few Babbie. Do you want me to pick one up? The one on the right in the 2nd pic? I'm asking because he may not be big into shipping. Not worried about a 170 block?

I don't know if he'd mind me posting his info or not. I better ask the way some folks are around here.
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 2:04pm
Watch out Greg or you'll end up like Marty and become one of dem' dere' pickers!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 2:19pm
Yes, second on the left. That would be great. I am worried about the block but I have other people looking too so having him as a source for the future is all I need right now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 3:40pm
Oh well, the falcon guy wasn't there today. I'll call him tomorrow. I did see 2 other wheels...1 impala and a smaller version of what was on my '79 without the center cap but I never know, so...

I did find what I needed Tim- vroom vroom!
1988 BFN-sold

Babbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2011 at 7:20pm
Thank you for trying!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic