NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

450 or 600?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:00am
make sure you scroll the above pic sideways!!!

you guys are just jealous!   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 10:02am
Steve, sounds like you got it covered. It's just bolt ons and easy to convert if you ever want to, and the padded engine box is easy to convert as well. It's not like you are going to ruin your boat. The only down side if you convert to side drafts is getting used to the loss of power from going to 2 1 barrels from a 4 barrel.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The only down side if you convert to side drafts is getting used to the loss of power from going to 2 1 barrels from a 4 barrel.

Bruce,
I don't feel this is true since those YH's can handle plenty of CFM's. CFM specs are hard to come by but Craig (64X55) who has a X55, did do some reasearch on them. From a good source, he found out each will do about 225 to 250 CFM. The only advantage in my mind with a 4bbl, is you have the luxury of having the secondaries kick in when needed.

Take a look at the bore size of a YH sometime - they are big!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The only down side if you convert to side drafts is getting used to the loss of power from going to 2 1 barrels from a 4 barrel.

Bruce,
I don't feel this is true since those YH's can handle plenty of CFM's. CFM specs are hard to come by but Craig (64X55) who has a X55, did do some reasearch on them. From a good source, he found out each will do about 225 to 250 CFM. The only advantage in my mind with a 4bbl, is you have the luxury of having the secondaries kick in when needed.

Take a look at the bore size of a YH sometime - they are big!!

Here is a quote taken from Black Hawk Engineering . They make custom metering rods, etc for the YH.

......."""The throttle body has a 1.83" bore to fit the F flow (180 HP) turbocharger inlet bore. The Performance Trends "Engine Analyzer" simulation software predicts that the throttle body will flow 256 CFM versus 128 CFM for the original "180 HP" YH carburetor. With the boost limited to 12 PSI for longevity, Engine Analyzer predicts 193 HP net versus the 148 net HP of the stock "180 HP" system. The EFI system is able to produce better fuel economy despite generating more power. I will also manufacture smaller throttle bodies for the B-flow (150 HP) turbochargers."""...

They are talking about a replacement throttle body on a turbocharged engine. The "software" predicts 256cfm vs 128cfm of the original YH carb..

...Anyone got a hole saw big enought to cut a hole for the flame arrestor?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 2:39pm

Bruce where did you get those "FACTS", my 312 is rated at 215 HP w/2 YH Carters.How much can I gain w/4 barrels vs the twins? Do you have different HP rating with a 4 barrel or you just pulling numbers out of the AIR??? If so back them up with data, not "hear say". Now back to the story.......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 1:57pm
Steve,
It can be done!! There really isn't anything hard about rebuilding YH's!! The trick will be getting them back on the engine and seeing if any tweaking is needed. By now, you should be a "master tweaker" of the YH's!!

Yes, there were a few extra parts left over in the kit but that's what makes a good mechanic - making it work with missing parts!! Actually, after talking with Daytona, the YH kits are universal covering all 4 generations of the carb so, some of the parts in the kits aren't used on all of the models. They sure did throw in the extra gaskets though!!

I'm just trying to keep you from cutting a hole in the top of that dog house!!! There is nothing wrong with the YH carbs!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 2:40pm
Steve,
You mentioned using an aluminum HVAC part and polishing it to mount on the top of the dog house. I just checked McMaster and they have this one available up to a 12" diameter. Cool looking!! Go for it!! And, the 12" is only $32.00. You could probably even find one at Menards cheaper!!

Then, you need an angle ring and some drywall screws and the job would be done!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 3:27pm
Pete,
I was thinking more of a pc of furnace plenum, lay it down on top of the doghouse and cut the front out for forced air induction ...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Pete,
I was thinking more of a pc of furnace plenum, lay it down on top of the doghouse and cut the front out for forced air induction ...

Ok, got it!! Hey, get a floor sweep and mount it upside down. Take the door off it and put a length of ducting on it so the top scoop area is over the windshield and wow, you'd get plenty of forced air induction. You could even do some foam gasketing around the flame arrestor to force the air directly into the carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 3:42pm
Pete we should be able to pull this off, but it seemed "SO SIMPLE" at the start.Steve and I may start swapping boxes via UPS.One mans trash is anothers treasure ????? I vote for a Pro Stock auto scoop
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve and I may start swapping boxes via UPS.One mans trash is anothers treasure ?????

Actually I think its more like .. "One mans treasure is another mans even more desirable treasure!"
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve and I may start swapping boxes via UPS.One mans trash is anothers treasure ?????

Actually I think its more like .. "One mans treasure is another mans even more desirable treasure!"

Steve,
We are both very lucky that we have Billy around!!

So, it sounds like I can't talk you out of going non original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 6:04pm
Steve,
I feel you may need to change your screen name to something like "Mr. non original Velcro guy" !!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:05pm
Carbs look good painted up Pete.

Steve, Ram Air like the GTOs had, I like it! That ought to really boost the hp.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2011 at 11:35pm
if its just about getting it running and getting the bugs out try borrowing a good working one.. we used to pass around a good working holley two barrel to each other when we had a new motor or project . it was always a known factor that we couldnt really blame the carb.. gave us time to play with valves or timing or whatever
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 12:22am
Steve , so far I gotta a good 4160, fuel pump, thermostat cover...Boxed up...........   Whattcha got that I need ??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2011 at 10:23am
Well, I just finished opening up the two YH's again. I forgot to check the metering rod height which is one of the rebuild procedures. They both checked out fine but it sure would have been a problem if they were wrong.

Steve,
That NOS YH you got, do you happen to know what "generation" it is? The improvements from gen 1 to gen 4 really improved the YH performance and reliability. I have the gen 4's and keep in mind, mine haven't been opened up since I got the boat (about 1981) and then it was for just a float height adjustment. The really big improvement is the design of Daytona's own needle and seat for the float/fuel level. They make their own for most of their carb kits. It's not even a needle in a seat but a flat face Viton seal (the "needle") that seals off on a convex seat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2011 at 12:12am
Steve, I see you haven't installed your intake. Both the side draft and down draft I've seen have an exhaust crossover. I am re installing ours with the truck gaskets which have a plate with a small hole in it rather than the open port. Its supposed to keep it from getting as hot as the open port.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 5:52pm
Two rebuilt YH's on the 312. Steve, there really isn't anything different about rebuilding a YH compared to other carbs. I did have to open them up and adjust the float level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 9:15pm
I spy a donut? Tsk tsk.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I spy a donut? Tsk tsk.   

When I made the new prop shaft, it somehow came out and inch short!! So, it was an easy solution instead of getting another chunk of stainless and starting over!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 2:07am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Two rebuilt YH's on the 312. Steve, there really isn't anything different about rebuilding a YH compared to other carbs. I did have to open them up and adjust the float level.

So Pete, how do they work? Where did you end up with the floats?

btw, I just got my 4bbl intake sandblasted...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2011 at 8:19am
Steve,
The book calls for 9/16 in forward and 7/16 aft. I ended up with 5/8 forward and 1/2 aft. There is also a metering rod adjustment. I set it per the rebuild instructions. Did you ever check it? I didn't put much time on it and will go back at it come spring. I still may need to adjust the metering rods but want to pull some plugs to see how the mixture is. There's no backfiring so I feel it's still running slightly rich.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic