NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

450 or 600?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 450 or 600?
    Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:13am
Just dug the 62 Classic out of the barn. ... Been kind of thinking of replacing the twin sidedrafts with a 4bbl for the old 312 y block. Getting mixed signals on which Holley would be best? 450cfm or 600 cfm?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 8:10am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Just dug the 62 Classic out of the barn. ... Been kind of thinking of replacing the twin sidedrafts with a 4bbl for the old 312 y block. Getting mixed signals on which Holley would be best? 450cfm or 600 cfm?

Well, my choice would be... twin YH's!! I'm in the process of rebuilding mine now. I do need to call Don down at Daytona Parts due to one problem. I have a left over part on both that I don't know where they came from!!!

So, you want to cut a hole in the dog house to make the Classic look like Reids??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have a left over part on both that I don't know where they came from!!!

Priceless!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:42am
Steve, from what I've read on the car sites, the smaller carbs are what people are using on cars.
We are running a 625 cfm edelbrock, however, and it runs great. New 450 Holley's are pricey! Check your valve lash as that was the biggest problem we had initially with getting ours to run good. Not to start a Holley vs AFB war, but there seems to be way less tuning with an AFB than a Holley on a Y block. People I've talked to don't like to admit that on line though, LOL. Y Blocks Forever is a great Y Block site.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I have a left over part on both that I don't know where they came from!!!

Priceless!

Greg,
Even though I was only doing one carb at a time so I would have a reference, I found out that if you turn the carbs over to clean them, parts fall out of holes. Then the big problem is which hole did it come out of?? The other problem is the build sheet that Daytona sent with the kits doesn't show these parts!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:41pm
Pete, doesn't your big manual from marineengines.com have great diagrams? Mine does, I could try to fax them to you.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:52pm
Steve you are correct, these carbs are way too much for your tech skills. Please install a non correct induction system, then raise or rebuild a engine cover to really trash it out.A 2x4 looks great, nailed to the floor, no carpet needed.
As Bruce stated ,use an Edelbrock, easy to install and almost Bubba proof.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:55pm
Bruce there is a difference beiween looking at the pictures and rebuilding after a complete tear down. There are 4 versions of YH Carters, what your pic show is a "general" picture...Not enough detail for our needs......
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 1:57pm
I prefer the standard height motor box with a period correct inverted Table Talk pie plate.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:02pm

Well, my choice would be... twin YH's!! I'm in the process of rebuilding mine now. I do need to call Don down at Daytona Parts due to one problem. I have a left over part on both that I don't know where they came from!!!

So, you want to cut a hole in the dog house to make the Classic look lie Reids??

Twin YH's!! who would have thought of that?

Actually, For the scoop, I was thinking of a pc of aluminumn furnace ductwork, all polished up!

Right now, I am after something that is easy to get the boat running. I can assure you "no animals will be harmed in making this film"! / I can always change back over to the stock intake/sidedrafts later.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Steve you are correct, these carbs are way too much for your tech skills. Please install a non correct induction system, then raise or rebuild a engine cover to really trash it out.A 2x4 looks great, nailed to the floor, no carpet needed.

I was thinking of coining up to get the treated 2x4's. That way it will match the wood tower I plan to build for it next summer!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:16pm
Bruce,
Yes, my manual has the YH diagrams. Thanks for the offer. I probably should have looked at them in more detail. I did look but at first glance, they looked like the exact same as the diagram/build sheet that came from Daytona. Now I know better because I just got off the phone with Daytona and found out what the extra part is. My memory sure is going because once he told me, it came back to me. It's a spring and pin that came out of my OLD needle and seat. No longer needed with the NEW Daytona design needle and seat assembly!! So, I haven't screwed them up yet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:23pm
Pete, part of my memory has been replaced with zip lock sandwich bags and a sharpie.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:40pm

parts fall out of holes.

Sometimes they even have springs behind them. Then they land behind something that hasn't moved in 20 years.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 2:47pm

parts fall out of holes.

Sometimes they even have springs behind them. Then they land behind something that hasn't moved in 20 years.

Billy calls the parts that go flying "Jesus clips" because when it happens you say something like "Jesus ##@*@"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:05pm
How many here have ever seen the inside of a YH, much less rebuild it to factory spec's.Pete has done very well on his rebuild,one bobble aint bad.
The newer needle/seat combo will work far better than the old style. The old parts are what stumped Pete, not the rebuild. My Dad had a saying " nothing is impossible, if you do not have to do it yourself " or "have the money to pay someone else"....
I wish I had Steve's money so I could afford the latter.......   
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:17pm

How many here have ever seen the inside of a YH, much less rebuild it to factory spec's.

My Dad had a saying " nothing is impossible, if you do not have to do it yourself " or "have the money to pay someone else"....

Paying someone aint the problem.. I just cant find no one to work for $3.35/hr.

.. Holly's websiteCarb Selector shows 450 cfm...

BTW, I HAVE seen the inside of a YH (too many times) thats why the 4bbl
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

My Dad had a saying " nothing is impossible, if you do not have to do it yourself " or "have the money to pay someone else"....

Paying someone aint the problem.. I just cant find no one to work for $3.35/hr.

BTW, I HAVE seen the inside of a YH (too many times) thats why the 4bbl

Well then just order a couple of Daytona kits and go after them!! I'll bet Pam would be happy to hear the kits costing $78.00 instead of the cost of a new carb. Do you have the intake manifold?

Btw, if you're real nice to me, I may take the job on for way less than the $3.35 an hour!! However, it won't be until after Labor day when I go up and test to see how well my rebuilds went!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 3:52pm
Steve , is that not a NOS carb that you are currently using on the 6 banger now? As in, not rebuilt ,but new off the shelf? If so, and this is a new carb,refer to my statement above.............
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 4:03pm

Steve , is that not a NOS carb that you are currently using on the 6 banger now? As in, not rebuilt ,but new off the shelf? If so, and this is a new carb,refer to my statement above.............

Yes , the 64's YH is a new off the shelf carb, but only after having 48 of them torn apart,TRYING to get ONE to work... now you want me to try and get a PAIR of them going?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 4:12pm
Too f$^&# nking funny workman...............Boat dr
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:10pm
Funny Stuff!

What about the good friend that drops a few spare parts in the baggie of your marked parts.

Tom
Clew In
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 9:13pm

How many here have ever seen the inside of a YH, much less rebuild it to factory spec's.Pete has done very well on his rebuild,one bobble aint bad.

It wouldn't have been much of a joke if it hadn't been Pete in the first place.   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 10:00pm

It wouldn't have been much of a joke if it hadn't been Pete in the first place.   

Greg,
The "first" place category comes after my rebuild test the week before Labor Day. Currently, Billy is the BIG #1 on the YH's!! At this point, what Billy has told (helped me big time) me was and all confirmed by Daytona is the only discrepancy was Billy did not know the left over part I described. Tim at Daytona knew on the spot but, he's seen more YH's!!!!

Now, the big question is Will Steve actually go original, or go with a modified dog house and the down draft???   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:58pm
I would put the Holley on and tear a couple of boards off the barn to raise the motor box,by the time winter comes you'll be done with the boat and then you can put the boards back.You'll have plenty of time between leaf plowing jobs to get er dun   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2011 at 11:59pm
or just put a chevy in,it's like what,8 new holes to drill?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:01am
Pete, maybe a polished S/S adapter for a single YH on a 2 barrel truck intake. That way he can just swap carbs between the two engines.Even Steve can do that.....
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:47am
if i wasnt such a intelijent man, i'd think yuo was makin fun of me and wud take ofence to them there statmunts.

btw,,,4bbl here I come!!!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:50am

Pete, maybe a polished S/S adapter for a single YH on a 2

Billy.
I've already considered The SS intake And even mentioned it to Sieve. The thought was if he could supply me with a couple of those fancy SS intake tubes, I'd do the YH carb rebuilds for free!!!! BUT, it already may be too late.... I just pulled the second YH and sealed the 5 gal. can with duct tape. Steve nay need to wait a couple more months!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2011 at 12:57am

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic