Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I’m sinking!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m sinking!
    Posted: August-21-2005 at 4:00am
Got my boat in the water today and ran it for a good hour. Few quirks to iron out.

It has a big leak at the right rear corner. Comes out from the foam, and under the floor. The water is very warm, so it must be from the exhaust. Do I have to take out the floor to get at this problem? Sounds like a winter job.

The tach is working intermittently, too. Mostly not. As in reading zero. But it did register 1500 rpm just before I quit. Trouble is I had the throttle down all the way and was at top speed.

The speedo doesn't work either. Don't know where to start to check it out.

Open to suggestions here.

The boat is a 1969 Barracuda, 318 Chrysler.

The motor ran decent today, for the first time. I think the carb is gunked up. It started out sluggish, but after a while finally got up to speed. Still wants to die when you slam the throttle from a dead stop, though.

Thomas
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:41am
My '68 leaked around the chrome tail pipe fittings on the back of the boat. The cavities around the exhaust pipe would fill up every time I put the boat in the water. I unscrewed the tail pie covers, cleaned, and sealed with 3M 5200. The leak stopped but I since learned that I will probably never be able to get the tail pipe covers off again. I should have used a less permanent adhesive. There is a thread on the forum about this subject.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 5:47am
Remove that floor & foam and you'll find out that engine is not as tired as you think.

Blow out that pitot line with compressed air.

Cool engine....cool boat. Keep working on her!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 3:46am
Do I need to take both ends loose?

Where does the pitot line go to?

Thomas
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 4:05am
The line connects to the backside of the Speedometer and runs throught the boat to the pick-up in the water.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 3:50pm
No speedo + water coming in the back probably = your pitot tubes are disconnected at the brass tubes (I can't for the life of me remember what those are called!) Don't know what kind of boat you have, but on my '86 they are a huge PITA to get to. It may almost be easier to take the gas tank out if it's empty than to try to work around it.

Somebody remind me what the heck those tubes are called- this is driving me nuts!!
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2005 at 3:44pm
Pressure stabilizer?
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

Pressure stabilizer?

YES!!! Stabilizer tubes! Thank you!! :D
'86 2001
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2005 at 8:36pm
The black tubes connect to brass tubes? Are the brass tubes under the floor? Behind or under the gas tank? Does the pressure stabilizer connect to the outside somewhere?

My pitot tube-the black plastic part-enters the boat at the passenger's side rear. Not long after it enters the boat it's curled up and clothespinned. Did some jackleg just disconnect it and leave me with a hole to the outside somewhere?

Thomas
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2005 at 12:28am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

Did some jackleg just disconnect it and leave me with a hole to the outside somewhere?

Yup. That's where your leak is coming from. It should go to a brass tube about 8" long, 1" diameter or so, then to your speedos. Your speedos are really a pressure gage. The pitots create pressure in the pitot tubes, and the faster you go, the more pressure is created. If the system is not sealed, the pressurized line will just keep feeding water into your boat. The stabilizer tubes are behind the gas tank mounted to the transom on mine. What year is your boat?
'86 2001
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2005 at 3:33am
My boat is a 1969 Barracuda. I'm confused. My pitot tube passes into the boat far above the water line. Where is the water entering the boat? My pitot tube is clamped by clothespins, too.

And the leak is on the driver's side. The pitot tube enters the boat on the passenger's side.

Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic