NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

64 American Skier questions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 American Skier questions?
    Posted: August-16-2005 at 12:22pm
I purchased a 64 American Skier earlier this year and have slowly been working some of the "bugs" out of it. The motor sounds pretty solid (cold compression is 125 -135 across the board)It sometimes seams to labor a little more than i think it should tho.
   Ive installed a rebuilt carb and that helped a lot. Ive also adjusted the valves to .016 lash on intake and exhaust. (I think it has a solid lift cam).
The boat currently has a 12"-12 prop. ( I also have a 12"-13 prop on the shelf) I dont use the boat for skiing..pretty much for the "evening ride"

My questions are... Im not sure what to set timing, points/dwell , etc to?   What should valve lash be? would the 13 prop work? Any other ideas? Thanks!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 12:32pm
What engine? if you set the lash like that and the engine had indeed hyd lifters, that could explain why its a dog. If its a sb ford, they had non-positive stop rockers up to mid '68.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:07pm
sorry 'bout that ....its an inline 6 -Interceptor not sure of cid.... I know little about fords. The motor is date coded to be a 63 and according to any info I could find , thats when some early motors were solid....while later ones were hydraulic.
When I 1st got it the compression was all over the place (120 high,50 low)..It has adjusting "screws" on top of the pushrods...after setting everything cold to the .016, I have the 125-135. I think somebody might have had the lash too tight and not let the valves fully seat?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:16pm
Sounds right,
Base timing and advance mechanism might be the next stop, as you suspect...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:25pm
   Can I use automotive specs for setting those?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:44pm
Hmmm,...not if it was originally equiped with vac advance....

The physics of the burn don't change much engine to engine...
Look for 6-10 BTDC degrees at idle, and 35-37 degrees final, and it should run respectable.

However, if the stroke is significantly longer than must engines, as some I6's are, those numbers might be in err...

Inbetween its up to the weights and springs how quickly it kicks in...

River Rat to Mole
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 5:25am
My 289 requires hot lash at .020. Call Woody at SECC and he can tell you the lash for the 6 cylinder.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2005 at 1:18pm
This site is fantastic. I am quite clueless as to what the conversation above is about but I am extremely impressed with the knowledge that so many members of these forums have. Whether its details about engine specs and repairs, boat histories, boat configurations, its amazing how much knowledge is out there and being shared on this site. Add that to the fun of sharing tales of boats, and experiences on the water of 10, 20 or 30 years ago. I think this site is single handedly boosting the popularity of older correct crafts, has made Woody of SECC its patron saint, has been a huge marketing boon to SkiDIM, NECC and SECC and has brought 100's of old CC owners together. Kudos to Keith and all the contributors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic