Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski 200 OB problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski 200 OB problem
    Posted: July-02-2011 at 1:47pm
Please help- I've got a 2010 Ski Nautique Ski 200 OB (open bow). I've got a problem with it and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem or if it's just my boat. Problem- anytime passengers are in the bow area and I'm cruising at 25-35 and then put it in neutral to slow down, the bow goes underwater and the people get drenched, even in calm water.
Rick
IntelSoftApps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 2:24pm
UMMMMMMMMM....

How big are the people in the bow?haha

the typical ski nautique sits low in the water. Especially the bow...

Now, i dont think your boat is the only one that does this... lets use some common sense.

All of the ski nautiques 200's are built exactly the same when it comes to the hull.

What is causing your bow to go under??

Well, lets think...

1. There are to many passengers.

2. the passengers are "a little" too big

3. You are going fast and just crank it back to nuetral. This dives the bow down. Try slowly easing on the throttle or time your stops better if you are just slamming it back.

4. You have the 1 out 10,000 Ski nautique 200's that has the "REALLY LOW" bow. In that case, you should feel special!

As we can see what may cause this, i would immediately cancel out option 4 and narrow down on 1, 2, and 3.

Hope you solve your problem!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 2:33pm
This happens when EVERYONE is sitting forward of the pylon, right?

It is a weight distribution issue.... they all are bow-low but coming off the throttle quickly and having everyone forward of the pylon will definitely magnify the issue.... It is gonna take finesse driving and better weight distribution..........
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 2:38pm
Rick,
The "problem" has been discussed quite a few times. It's always a new owner without much experience in driving an O/B that brings it up. A careful throttle back paying close attention to the transom wake is one solution. The other is obvious as mentioned above. Just how many people do you put up there?

Welcome to CCfan and to boating.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 2:57pm
This can be an issue on closed-bow boats with 3 folks forward of the pylon....

Can I see a show of hands, how many folks have put their own rollers over the windshield on a closed-bow?       We all have done it in the beginning.........or when not paying enough attention.

Welcome to CCFAN: Great knowledge and help on this forum.........
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:41pm
Thanks for the quick responses even though none applies. One small person in bow creates the problem of bow sinking. I've had many ski boats, including open bow and have over 4,000 hrs of boat driving experience. It also happens when throttling down slowly. Also I'm not speaking of this sinking problem happening with my own wake or anyone else's wake. I'm talking about going straight in flat calm water.
Any other suggestions or comments?
Rick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:50pm
Well Rick, I guess you didn't follow what I was trying to tell you about the "transom wake". Notice I did NOT say anything about other wakes. The transom wake is the hole in the water that the hull itself makes. If you don't slow down and then even give it some gas, the wake will come from the rear and push the aft end up and consequently the bow down.

4000 hrs.!! You have spent time out on the water!!

Did you even test drive the boat before the purchase?? What were the other boats you've had?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

This can be an issue on closed-bow boats with 3 folks forward of the pylon....

Can I see a show of hands, how many folks have put their own rollers over the windshield on a closed-bow?       We all have done it in the beginning.........or when not paying enough attention.

Welcome to CCFAN: Great knowledge and help on this forum.........

Steve,
My hand is up!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:52pm
Well, as i have noticed so far, ski nautiques have one of the lowest closed bows i have seen...

But, also this was mentioned above, what about the weight distribution?

Are you all in front of the pylon??

Cause in our 98 ski nautique open bow, if all of us are sitting on the bench in front of the pylon and come to a sudden slow down or what ever it never gets wet...

Also, we need to know how many people you have packed into the boat. The Ski Nautique was NOT designed to be a ful blown family boat. Basically a tournament boat. But if you want a more family boat were you can fill it completely up, you may want to look for a Sport Nautique...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

The Ski Nautique was NOT designed to be a ful blown family boat. Basically a tournament boat. But if you want a more family boat were you can fill it completely up, you may want to look for a Sport Nautique...

Maybe even one of those Gayliner boats?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 3:58pm
If it's not designed as a family boat they should NOT make an open bow version. I purposely purchased this boat to replace my family deck boat and a ski boat so I would only need one boat. Hopefully the tragedy that recently occurred in a Mastercraft won't happen in my Nautique.
Rick
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:01pm
Sorry Rick...

These boats are relatively new to the forum and there are few owners of the 200 on the site; however, there are many folks who drive and or sell them (Matt/Reid/Jody/etc.)and this is not a commonly reported problem.

If it is a new boat, certainly call your dealer. These are performance boats. It doesn't make sense to make them so they can't go slow forward... It needs to figured out. BTW- no Belly Tank right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:02pm
When slowing down, dont go straight into neutral. The transom wake pushes up the back and the bow really forward. Especially after going about 25.

Solution: Weh slowing down DONT go straight into neutral. Go into "in gear" or idle. Depends what you call it.lol

That way the boat keeps moving...

Slamming straight into neutral is the start of the SUBMARINE move.haha. All you need to do next is slam into reverse. Next thing is to watch your beautiful boat fill up with water...   
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:08pm
Welcome to the Site Rick -

Go ahead and put your boat in the Diaries section to let everyone see her. BTW - my Air206 doesn't do that..... lots of room..... crazy good ski and intermediate wakeboard wake.... maybe you wanna trade?
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:13pm
Thanks, but your Air206 doesn't cut it on a slalom course. I tried it too before buying.
Rick
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by rckmann rckmann wrote:

If it's not designed as a family boat they should NOT make an open bow version. I purposely purchased this boat to replace my family deck boat and a ski boat so I would only need one boat. Hopefully the tragedy that recently occurred in a Mastercraft won't happen in my Nautique.

First of all, the "tragedy" on the Mastercraft did not happen recently, it was five years ago. Second, the fool who bought the boat had no experience, was drinking alcohol, piled 12 people into the bow of the boat, and was driving unsafely. Then, some lawyer was able to convince 6 to 12 jurors, who clearly knew nothing about boating, that this was somehow the fault of the boat manufacturer. If it weren't California, I have my doubts the lawyer would have got this verdict. ICBW. It remains to be seen if our California appellate system will be more intelligent/reasonable than this jury.

With respect to your boat buying decision, I am afraid you may have made a poor choice. You have to be very careful not to dip the bow of that boat. It is not a good choice for everyone, and not a good choice for certain water conditions. Just a little bit of homework and you would have known that. To spend some $60K or more and not know what you are getting strikes me as a really bad decision.

I say this sincerely, if you are already thinking that you and your family may face danger, then you should sell the boat. If you are already trying to blame the manufacturer, you should sell the boat. Since you have now posted here that you think the manufacturer has done something wrong, then you clearly have knowledge. As such, you will be hard pressed to tell the jury you didn't know.

The 200 is a great boat for some people. Apparently it does not meet your needs. That is unfortunate.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:57pm

Rick,
What was the ski boat you replaced?

What was the recent tragedy with the MC? You're not referring to the MC Submarine are you? That was over 3 years ago!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:58pm
help new 200 submarines

Did you even test drive the 200 before buying it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

When slowing down, dont go straight into neutral. The transom wake pushes up the back and the bow really forward. Especially after going about 25.

Solution: Weh slowing down DONT go straight into neutral. Go into "in gear" or idle. Depends what you call it.lol

That way the boat keeps moving...

Slamming straight into neutral is the start of the SUBMARINE move.haha. All you need to do next is slam into reverse. Next thing is to watch your beautiful boat fill up with water...   

This
X2
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 5:02pm

Thanks, but your Air206 doesn't cut it on a slalom course. I tried it too before buying.

WRONG - I have personally watched multiple skiers go into 39.5 off behind a 206. There are only a handful of skiers in the world for whom the 206 "doesn't cut it on a slalom course."

So, either you aren't a very good skier, in which case it would not matter what kind of boat you are using, or, you are one of the very best skiers in the world, in which case you would not be concerned with dipping the bow on a 206.

I don't want to mean here, but what you are saying makes no sense whatsover.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 5:12pm

Wow! You must be one heck of a short line slalom skier to say that. The 206 is a terrific wake to deep shortline. The 200's is flatter, I'll give you that - evolution of the ski boat...... but mine goes straight (fast or slow) without filling with water.

You suggested you drove a 200 pre-purchase. I assume you didn't have this problem with that boat (or else you would have been silly to buy it). It seems like the only answer is you must have a bad boat.... I'd think about taking it back.

Sorry, I don't think we can help much more..........
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 5:42pm
Thanks again. I did demo the boat pre-purchase for skiing, not bow riding. Unfortunately for me as never would have purchased the boat had I had passengers in the bow. Have been in contact with the manufacturer and they can't recommend a fix and they say that there's nothing wrong with my boat. As for the Air206 the wake was too big for me as I have 2 ruptured discs in my back. I think the design with open bow might be a defective design, at least on the open bow, but the manufacturer disagrees. Also the submarining I'm talking about is with one or two people in the bow in flat water going straight slowing gradually or not and with no wakes. I'm not looking to sue anyone, but with the manufacturer saying it's not defective, for my passengers sake and the manufacturers sake I hope it never happens like the Mastercraft.
Rick
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 6:05pm
Trying to gauge your helm time... what were your previous boats?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Trying to gauge your helm time... what were your previous boats?

Tom,
I've asked twice! I don't think Rick want's to tell us!! All he admits to is a "deck boat" and a "ski boat". The 4000 hours of water time is interesting. Maybe the ski boat was a Gayliner???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 6:51pm
Don't exactly know what "gauge your helm time" means. If you're referring to hours behind the helm, that's over 2000 hours behind a Ski Centurion, Malibu, and 2 Nautiques and 1900 hours behind a 36' Cabin Cruiser. Doesn't look like I'll get any help on this website, only people questioning my capabilities and other facts. I'll search for more websites. I'm just trying to find out if my boat is an isolated case or if other Ski 200 OB owners have the same problem.
Rick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 6:57pm

Doesn't look like I'll get any help on this website, only people questioning my capabilities and other facts. I'll search for more websites. I'm just trying to find out if my boat is an isolated case or if other Ski 200 OB owners have the same problem.

Rick,
Maybe some careful reading and looking at the link I provided would help you. Did you even bother to look at this thread I linked for you? Also, the on site search feature is a wonderful tool. I used it to find the above link. Do your reading before coming down on the boat you bought. Even more important is maybe you should of had your family with you during that test drive before you bought all that bling!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 7:00pm

I think the design with open bow might be a defective design

Correct Craft has been making Ski Nautiques with open bows since the 1990's (Correct me if im wrong...im only 16.lol) and you are the first person i have ever heard complain about it. How can it be a defective design, IF it is the same exact demensions as the closed bow version.

Lets look at it this way --> Ski Nautique OB (SNOB) is NOT really designed for a full family on day outings. It is designed to be a Champion Tournament Towboat. Especially the 200. The open bow is only an extra feature. Itis very nice to have an open bow, but not to have your family up there then come to a sudden stop. The new ski boats are NOT like a deck boat. You have to know how to use them. They are designed for proffessional skiing in the course.

But if you want a nice family boat, then i suggest a Sport Nautique. We also have a 95 sport. When people sit in the bow water loves to splash up. Just face it. Every low bow nautique will take water in the bow no matter what is in the bow!

If you dont want this, there are air nautiques or even the BRAND NEW Sport nautique 200. The 200 Sport has higher freeboard than before. But it is also built on the 200 hull.

So, i wouldn't try to argue with the manufacture that the open bow is bad. If you look closely in the manual, it says stuff about wight distribution (common sense) and capacity in the bow.

My suggestion is to get a bigger boat. unless you are going to ski in the course every morning at 6am and become a top world class skier...

just my suggestion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 7:04pm

Doesn't look like I'll get any help on this website, only people questioning my capabilities and other facts. I'll search for more websites. I'm just trying to find out if my boat is an isolated case or if other Ski 200 OB owners have the same problem.

They all do that. It is a matter of the driver controlling the boat in the situation and the kind of boat.

And by the way, this site is VERY helpful.

Anyways, good luck finding help on other nautique websites. They will say the same exact stuff as above. no doubt. If they even bother to answer...

And your boat is NOT an isolated case. Lets use some sense... What would cause that?
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 7:11pm
You're smart- The open bow is definitely add added feature, but I would say detriment in this case.
Rick
rckmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rckmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2011 at 7:19pm
Don't plan to become a world class skier, but I'm almost 60. We'll see, maybe a senior champion. And yes I ski a slalom course all year round, every day except when windy, close to 300 days a year without exaggeration even when the water is 45 and the air is 28. I've had water dripping off my body instantly turning into ice many times. I skied 6 passes today and 15 yesterday. How about you?
Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic