Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water scum

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water scum
    Posted: August-09-2005 at 12:09am
Does anyone know of any good ways to clean the water residue/scum that gets on the hull of a boat after it has been sitting in the water for a while? I have recently acquired a 79 Ski Tique that for many years sat in the water all summer and then was stored all winter. It has a brown/yellow stain all over the hull from the water line down that I can not seem to clean at all. I have tried many things that have done no good at all. Car wash, boat wash, a scrub brush, some cleaner/wax gel meant for fiberglass or tubs/showers, pressure washing, even the Mr. Clean magic eraser thing but it has done nothing!! It almost seems like the fiberglass is stained and the discoloration is actually "in" the fiberglass. The hull still feels relatively smooth to the touch (not like there is scum or grime actually on the hull)and no matter what I have tried or as hard as I have scrubbed It won't come off!! Help please. Thanks
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 12:23am
Believe it or not, the only thing that will clean ours (same prob as yours) is battery acid. Usually get a little extra when filling a dry battery (like a atv batt from wal-mart) and I use it being very carefull not to get any anywhere but on the boat. Put it on and it seems like it does nothing. Put it on with a old rag or sponge, and let it sit overnight. No need to rub it in. I then wipe it off with a towel the next day, as well as wash it well. Im sure there are other things that will work, but so far this seems to outshine them all.
Good Luck!!   
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 12:26am
starbrite hull cleaner is pure magic.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 12:50am
Hi Convo

This sounds like a job for toilet bowl cleaner. If you go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart and get some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (or Wal-mart also has some stuff called "the works")and put it in a spray bottle like an empty Windex bottle and spray it on the stain you might be pleasantly surprised. It has about 9% hydrogen chloride and it gets rid of the stain with no work.It won't get rid of dirty loose scum, just the stain. Spray it on,wait a short time and your stain should be gone.

You can also find some commercial toilet bowl cleaners that are about 20 % hydrogen chloride that work even quicker.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 1:37am
If they still make it... a product called "zing" Made for that purpose.
Snow-bowl toilet cleaner worked for a friend who had the same problem!
Good luck!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 2:45am
50% Lysol toilet bowl
cleaner and 50% hydrogen peroxide works wonders. Rubber gloves and a sponge, no
scrubbing required. Rinse with lots of
water, and if possible put on a good coat of wax.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 2:56am
Mentioned above and pics of the results.

The entire boat looked like the runs on the bottom.Since the pics the entire boat has been done.

Hope this helps.
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 11:27am
THanks for all the info. I will give one or more of these options a try and see what happens. Thanks
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 11:04pm
Thanks to everyone who offered a possible solution to my "stain" problem. I got some toilet bowl cleaner today -the works- and put it on the hull with a little foam paint brush. Within just a few seconds I was amazed to see the discoloration disappear completely. It just vanished with no scrubbing at all. I rinsed everything really well - gave it a quick wash and it looks almost new! Awesome! Thanks again. MC
Lazarus II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazarus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 3:13pm
star brite hull cleaner is retarded good stuff. my boat was in the water for 3 years (completely submerged for one) and it eats stains for dinner. works well on stained stainless steel too.

Wal-Mart 7 bux a bottle. lasts long time
Going fast never hurt a soul, its the sudden stops that get ya!!!!!!
79 Ski Nautique
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 12:58am
I used a product called "On and Off". Recommended to me by my friends at Extreme Poersports. You can buy it at Bass Pro or West Marine or any good marine store.

1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
Jimbodawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbodawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2005 at 8:51am
Convo,

I'm interested to know ALL about your 79 Ski Tique...I have a 79 Ski Tique as well. See my entry in the diaries section. Send me your email addy so we can swap mtc/repair/improvement info about our classic boats!

Thanks,
Jim

cell: 404 808 2494
email: mcarthuj@bellsouth.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic