NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new paint
    Posted: May-27-2011 at 7:09pm
Dave- Did you ever decide on wetsanding or regeling?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Dave66b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave66b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 5:34pm
I wondererd about that same thing, all the photo"s of 65b's ive seen have no vent have to check this out.   thanks see ya Dave g.
Dave66b
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 1:16am
65 cuda ... no vents in bow...

66 (and newer) cuda ... with vents in bow...

There are a lot of other boats that have one thing or another that doesnt quite add up for the year its titled as.. there are a lot of times the boat"s build date and title date are off by a year or two, especially in the 60's.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Dave66b Dave66b wrote:

Boat has no original hull ID previous owner had it registered as a 66 barracuda. What makes you think its a 1965?

Is there a metal tag along the motor, on the stringer?

As for the 65, There are no vents in the "pig snout" under the bow light. Also has mid vents on the deck.

My 66 cuda SS is the same as yours, no vents, but built in early 65. , my 68 has vents in nose.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Dave66b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave66b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 12:46am
Boat has no original hull ID previous owner had it registered as a 66 barracuda. What makes you think its a 1965?
Dave66b
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Steve, you ever see him on the site? Never came across that listing before, he's not too terribly far away from us. Pretty close to Alicia's folks.

Chris, no idea who it is... in fact thats the first time I've seen the boat in the diaries! Would love to see it in person.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2011 at 12:44am
Steve, you ever see him on the site? Never came across that listing before, he's not too terribly far away from us. Pretty close to Alicia's folks.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 11:55pm
You might want to check this 'cuda in the diaries out! been buffed out...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 11:50pm
Dave,
I'm with the other guys...try wet sanding and buffing. (btw, you only want to sand enough to remove the oxidation). What/how to finish the hull depends what you want to do with it? Unless you are trying to take trophys home from boat shows, you might be surprised at the results.

My 64 has a LOT of cracks in the deck. The guy I bought it from called it a "20 footer"    After wet sanding and buffing, I'd call it a "5 footer". One thing to my advantage is the fact its white. Your dark tends to show the cracks a bit more, but still worth a try.

BTW, what is your hull ID number? I wonder if your boat was built in 65?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 1:01am
I remember that Farmer made a tool to remove the gel from his boat. It worked very well. You may want to search his threads. He basically copied a very expensive tool that does the job and he made one from other tools for a lot less money.

I hope this helps,

Donald
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 11:16am
acme gel remover . the coyote used it after the gel gun back fired
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 3:06am
Bruce, all it says is that the gel was ground off. That much I know... I want to know what method would get it done the quickest, and with the least amount of fairing required afterwards. Im afraid that going after it with an angle grinder would be horribly slow and imprecise. Id like to think theres a better way- just not sure what it is (yet).
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:43pm
Dave66b, that's a nice looking boat. I'd start with wet sanding and see how you like it. It doesn't hurt to try to restore the gel before commit to painting or re gel. The hull looks like it has a good shine.

There's a guy in Portland who's also a member here that paints boats. I've seen 2 of his Correct Crafts and they are beautiful. He uses Awlgrip. As good as it looks, it's expensive and for the money I'd go gel coat.

Tim, the Classic from FLA that's for sale in the Diaries was re gelled. He desribes how it was done in the listing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:23pm
If you just want the boat to look better, a good wetsanding and buffing of the old gel will improve the looks significantly. The cracks wont disappear, but will become much less obvious. This is a decent short term solution, if nothing else.

If youre dead set on refinishing it, then Id like to hear more feedback on how best to remove all the gel too! Ive ground gelcoat off the bilge with an angle grinder and 24 grit flap discs, but that was a very time consuming and messy process. There are specialty tools that are made to remove gelcoat, but theyre pricey. Im not sure if there is an easier way without resorting to using one of those.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:20pm
Unless you are going to have a show boat, I would just buff the deck and call it a day. My stance on this is as long as it's got some shine to it I think the cracks are part of those older boat's character. As long as there is no structural issues I would leave it and spend $ on gas and having a good time with family and friends in the boat.

Now in my case, a tree had fallen on the deck of my Skier which ended up completely smashing the gel, and more importantly, the glass. I had to remove most of the gel to repair the glass.

After seeing Gary Blackburn's 'Cuda at the 09 GL reunion I think I'll go with Paint. Reason being, this boat won't get a lot of use since we have 2 others. I've only got about 500 bucks into the boat and it runs so as long as it looks decent I'll be happy. It is my first boat so I plan on keeping it forever so it'll get a proper restoration some day in the far away future.

Dave66b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave66b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:04pm
That is the boat picture does not show cracks the are all over front the gel is about thirty second thick thats a lot of sanding how many hours to remove?
Dave66b
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:55pm
Im not sure it considered a common problem for "old" boats, but the first few years of the glass boats (starting in '61) seem to have had some cracking issues. I think they perfected the materials and techniques by the late 60's though, as my '71 is crack free.

Regardless of how you decide to refinish (paint vs. gel), the cracks need to be ground out and refilled OR all of the gel needs to come off. Otherwise, the cracks will transfer through the new finish. Its a very prep-intensive job either way- so I would highly recommend the gel, as its a superior finish.

Is this your boat?

Dave66b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave66b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:39pm
The back would probably workout but the deck around windshield the front under step pads and back deck are full of deep spider cracks tried sanding out noway. Do I have to remove cracks or fill with primer, I need direction. This must be typical problem for a forty year old boat.
Dave66b
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:37pm
I'm another re gel and no paint person!! What prep have you done so far?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 3:59pm
I am getting ready to start on a 66 cc Al Tyll Skier in the next few weeks. Wet sanding current gel coat on the back of my boat will be the first thing i do. If your not sure how it will look just take a small area and wet sand it then buff. There are threads on here that cover it all. Welcome to the site!
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 2:31pm
I can speak also on the regell thing not on my boat but a friend one...labor of preping the paint job was a lot, sand, compound to set a smooth surface..more sand..and then paint..was nice..but a month later...my boat was docked next to his..my ss rubrail slightly touched the painted area..and left some nice scratches..
My point is its almost the same labour to prep the area for paint or gel i know gel is more expensive..but its much much stronger...that in the end it pays itself..

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 2:17pm
While I usually am a "let a fella do what he wants to with his boat" kinda guy........... I am with Tim on this. Several folks from this site who painted, later wish they had gel coated as the expense and effort eventually become equal..... and you are left with a painted boat.

The sanding option works WONDERS, so a re-do may not be needed..... but don't give up on the gel coat idea right away.......
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:37pm
Post some pics. That mahogany color comes back with wet sanding.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:29pm
If youre looking to keep it original, you should strongly consider using gelcoat instead of paint.
Dave66b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave66b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 1:04pm
Hi, I'm getting 66Barracuda ready to paint would like to match color red mahogany as close to original as possible, Is there any standard brand that is out there.   Dave66b
Dave66b
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic