Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ed Hale View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans Fluid
    Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:13pm
I want to change my transmission fluid. It looks like it has 20 20W oil and not Dextron 3. Two questions: Is Dextron 3 better for the transmission than 20 20W? Should I use 20 20W with detergent additive or without?

Thanks
Ed H
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:17pm
OK, I'm going to scam onto this post, too…

While you're answering that question, what do you use in the Borg Warner Velvet Drive that's in my '69 Barracuda/Chrysler 318?

I haven't tanked it up yet.

Thomas
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 4:34am
The Velvet drive takes Dexron. There is a service manual in the reference section of this site for the Borg-Warner and for engines, too.
Bob Ed
83 2001
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 5:35am
Dexron II
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 12:27pm
I changed the fluid in my '68 318 Velvet Drive about 3 weeks ago, used Dextron 3, so far so good.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Darrel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 4:20pm
Replace whats in it with the same or you will need to do it more then once to clear out all of the original fluid. Its a messy enuff job to do it once.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 8:25pm
And how many quarts should it take? I have it in my mind that it's about 2, but I don't know where I got that from or if it's right. Doesn't seem like much.

Thomas
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 9:51pm
It's going to take a quart plus maybe 1/2 pint to a pint.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
joel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 11:25pm
You can go to WWW.velvetdrive.com and find your trany it will tell you which dexron to use. You can also call them tell them the type and they will tell you. I use AMSOIL AFT Syn. fuild in 3 of my boat with Velvet drive trany's, it works great. Talked with Velvet drive and they stated syn oil is great to use. It only take 1 quart plus a little more.(If you have 1.1 ratio) Fill run, check fill.... Good luck.
Joel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic