NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Acme 430 Prop Report

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Acme 430 Prop Report
    Posted: October-27-2010 at 6:03pm
I’ve seen a few posts lately asking about how the new Acme 430 prop ran on my boat this summer so thought I would give a little review.

First a little history, 1981 Ski Nautique with a 351 Ford. I rebuilt the motor a few years ago, heads are RHS 180’s with 54 cc Combustion chambers, high rise dual plane intake, Cam research cam, forged pistons at 10:1 compression ratio. Heads have been professionally ported and intake and exhaust manifolds have been gasket matched by me.   It’s been a great running boat pushing north of 350 hp (desktop dyno says 380hp but I don’t believe everything I see on the computer these days).

My problem has always been finding the right prop for the boat, I’ve run OJ 13x13, 13x14, 12x15, 12x14, and an Acme 540 13x12. After all that I’ve always come back to the Acme 540 but that too was a compromise, best top end I could get repeatedly out of the boat was 54.6 but the motor was spinning an ear piercing 5700 rpm. I sent the prop back to Acme twice for cup work and at the recommendation of Bill Weeks this spring we added .180 of cup to it.   That brought my rpm down to 5500 but still not happy I continued to bug Bill over a period of 2 years to get him to make a 13x13 right hand prop and finally late July the persistence paid off. He produced a 430 which is simply a right handed version of their 431 13x13 which has been around for some time.

To compare the new Acme 430 to the 540 with.180 cup, the holeshot is exactly the same.
Pulling up a skier you could not tell there was a different prop on the boat so I would consider adding pitch and not losing holeshot a success. My wakeboarding rpm was exactly the same as the 540 which leads me to believe the extra cup on the 540 was working at low rpm but the prop was still slipping up on the top end.

Top end with the 430 was consistently at 54.6 with a stray run or two of 55.1 BUT my rpm dropped to 5200 which was a major goal from the very beginning.

Biggest noticable improvement was in overall drivability of the boat.   With the 430 the boat doesn’t feel so top fuel dragster-ish but now has some real feel to the throttle and handles so much better. The boat is super responsive but not as violent to drive as before. Hole shot is still great, top end is acceptable without spinning the motor out of control
(5200 seems so relaxing after free wheeling at 55-5700).   The biggest difference is in the mid range. Pulling a 200 lb strong slalom skier out of the water was simple but impressive was how fast the boat gets to 34mph, you'll run right by it if you don't back off as soon the skiers up. With the 540 in that speed range you could almost feel the "tires spinning" as Dana called it when you put the power to it. The new 430 grabs and goes and the motor has the torque to turn it easily.

The 430 is also much smoother than the 540 but that may simply be the result of multiple times on the block being tweaked.

Bottom line is money well spent, I would think that anyone that has gone beyond the typical gt40P head upgrade in a pre 82 Nautique might want to give this prop some consideration.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 6:51pm
"not as violent to drive as before"

We'll see about that. That boat was redonkulous in the bay this year.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 4:50am
I just did a back-2-back test ACME 422 12.5x15.5 CNC VS 13x15.5 OJ CNC. The trailing edge of the ACME blade is straighter, it's diameter smaller. The OJ is a rounder, traditional "ear" design I guess it's called.

The OJ was a few ticks faster at the same mid RPM as the ACME. 0.4 - 0.5 km/h faster. I also felt a little more transom lift with the OJ. WOT the RPM's were lower and top speed was lower, but it's been a week (dirtier hull colder water). I think this was more due to the transom lift. The OJ had a familiar feel to it,, like my old OJ.

The ACME spools up with a turbine feel - like it has less rotating mass. Also smooth, it seems to have more response to throttle, eg an Italian engine, but at the same time a bit less stump-pulling grunt.

those are my impressions anyway...

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 12:27pm
I noticed increased smoothness between the 422 and the OJ CNC 4-blader as well. OJ ran with lower RPM, similar holeshot, but just not nearly as smooth feeling.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 2:20pm
Nice report back here on the 430, I also was impressed with the 431 back when I was a running a LH 1:1 setup in my 83. I was in the same rpm ball park, IIRC I didnt quite hit 5200, closer to 5160-5180, but at a consistent 52.x mph it was the fastest I ever got that engine combination to run. It was smooth and all around the best prop I tried. I think I had it on the boat 2 weeks before I absolutely destroyed it idling up to a pier to drop off a friend.

SharkSN, your results are pretty much exactly in line with all the head to head comparisons I have done or seen reported on here. You being of of the guys most interested in slalom wakes it would interest me to know do you think the increased transom lift of the oj had any postive effect on your slalom wake? Which of the two props would you consider better for your day to day use?

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by SharkSN SharkSN wrote:

I just did a back-2-back test ACME 422 12.5x15.5 CNC VS 13x15.5 OJ CNC.

Its worth noting that you probably tested the OJ 428 (.090 cup) vs. the OJ 430 (.130 cup), right?

Ive tried the OJ 430 and it acts like a significantly larger prop than the 422- Im not surprised that the 428 is still turning fewer revs, even with less cup.

Alan, I wouldnt be so doubtful of that 380 hp number the software spits out. If you picked up a solid 3mph with the new heads, we all know that the hp/mph ratio is larger than 10:1 once you get above 50mph. Joe has a bigger hull to push, but also had a 400hp 408ci motor that netted him that 5200 RPM.

I havent seen the specs published on the 430 anywhere yet... I assume its got .080 cup like the standard 540?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by SharkSN SharkSN wrote:

0.4 - 0.5 km/h faster.

Since when are you guys using the metric system...??
My converter is all messed up now

Edit: sorry Paul, didn't know you are from Canada till I Googled Sproat Lake...
(Guess that's why Pete always hammers on completing one's profile... )
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 8:09pm
I was shipped an OJ 430B 0.110" cup. Looking carefully at the wake I did not notice a difference. Did not ski it. Lots of debris in the lake due to tons of rain & high water.
SharkSN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2010 at 5:42pm
I did ski the OJ prop last week and have to say the wake felt great. I think it does lift the transom a bit more.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2011 at 10:47pm
I just picked up a 430 for fathers day and am very pleased , got a quick run in though it was sprinkling but the rpms were 5200-5400 and 56-57 mph on the garmin. My carb has a dead spot right at this rpm that the 540 was able to drive through(xtra 400 rpm or so). With a little tweakin this thing may run. Unfortunately I have only had time to run it a few times per summer but hope someday I get the bugs worked out.
Also got what I thought was an acme 380 for the barefoot but I think is actually an 816. I am very pleased with this prop as well. The tach doesnt work so good but sounds in the proper rpm range for the stock setup (4400) and an even 50mph, the huge difference is the time to plane as well as midrange. I purchased them both from Delta, got them in 2 days and the discount was appreciated. I would reccomend either if you have an application that fits.
Brian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

I just picked up a 430 for fathers day and am very pleased , got a quick run in though it was sprinkling but the rpms were 5200-5400 and 56-57 mph on the garmin.

I guess that "hotboat" moniker is no joke! Those are some very stout numbers... did you ever share with us the details of your engine build? Im assuming this is your Martinique? Based on Alan's numbers on that hull, might be knocking on the 400hp mark.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 2:26am
Thanks Tim, I will start a new thread, I think I went over the motor before but I'll tryer again.
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic