Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

92 Limp, Nav Lights, Voltmeter Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DesertSkier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 92 Limp, Nav Lights, Voltmeter Problems
    Posted: June-22-2005 at 4:48pm
I have a 92 Ski Nautique with a PCM Pro Boss. I have owned the boat for 12 years and during that time have experienced a couple of electrical problems that I would like to share in case others have the same. The voltmeter had always read low and when the nav lights are turned on the voltmeter and several other gauges peg low. There have been several postings relative to this problem and the cure is to remove the daisy chain for power and ground in the guage cluster. I ran a wire directly from the ignition breaker to the key switch to improve the +12 at the switch. I also added a ground wire to the voltmeter from the point where the #10 ground wire enters the dash from the engine. This improvement cured the voltmeter and nav lights. The other problem I have had is the engine will go to limp mode once in awhile. When the failure occurs all the sensors are OK. I have been able to temporarily cure the problem by remating the connectors on the ignition module and the main connector from the dash to the engine. I suspect that the voltage drop becomes excessive through the connectors and causes a less than required voltage to be presented to the ignition module. To try and cure this problem I ran a #10 wire from the 50 amp breaker on the engine to the ignition breaker in the dash and another #10 wire for ground from the ignition module ground point to the main ground connection in the dash. This fix has also been mentioned in another posting but I think it was for a different problem. Hopefully I don't see the problem again.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2005 at 12:18am
For sure, the SN's do have inadequate wiring to the dash. The voltmeter will drop alot when the blower and lights are on. Running feed lines is a good idea to reduce the voltage drop!!
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 12:49am
Check your sparkplug wires to see if they snap down tight to the coil posts and check for arc burns in the post at the coils.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 1:58pm
I too have the problems Jeff mentioned! I'll fix it this winter. While troubleshooting last summer I found several connectors with corroded pins, white powder. I cleaned them up and coated them with Dow Corning #4. It's a special tube of grease (similar to vaseline) exclusively for connectors and contacts to retard corrosion and keep out moisture. We use it on aircraft all the time and it works great. Don't even think of trying vaseline. It's not the same.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 2:44pm
I've wondered if there is a certain kind of dielectric grease that is designed for marine applications. I've used all kinds of grease, but I haven't always had great success with them.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 10:42pm
Dow Corning #4? Where do you get it?

Isn't a Skyhawk the kind of plane Sky King flew around in (with Will and Penny)?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2005 at 11:39pm
Jim_in_Houston; you gotta be kidding! You don't really think that some of these guys know who Sky King was, do you? So they won't "get" the humor, but us older guys do. Thanks!
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 12:09am
jbear, I remember the name of his plane but I don't remember the name of his ranch. Flying R?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2005 at 12:47am
J_i_H; Think you're right on the ranch name. I remember his plane as a twin engine Cessna, probably an Apache, I think the show was on before the Aztec model came out. That was one of my favorite shows as a kid. How does one post the kind of boat he owns? I'm a rookie at this and it's cool how all you guys have listed at the bottom of your posts what you own. Thanks
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2005 at 6:35pm
A skyhawk is a Cessna 172. A single engine prop! You should be able to find DC4 anyplace that carries other Dow Corning products, they have a lot of differnt high and low temp grease's.

If you can mooch some off of somebody at your local airport that would work good. About 1/2 a 35mm film canister will last you for several years!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2005 at 2:22pm
There are many brands of silicon based dielectric greases...such as CRC. Most auto parts stores carry some brand or another. I agree, all connections (both car and boat) should be treated with dielectric grease.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2005 at 10:21am
Hey DesertSkier,
Have you been able to run since you addressed the problem listed below? I will be using your advice to attempt repair of my 1991 PCM/ProTec Nautique Excel later today.
Tom

Originally posted by DesertSkier DesertSkier wrote:

The other problem I have had is the engine will go to limp mode once in awhile. When the failure occurs all the sensors are OK. I have been able to temporarily cure the problem by remating the connectors on the ignition module and the main connector from the dash to the engine. I suspect that the voltage drop becomes excessive through the connectors and causes a less than required voltage to be presented to the ignition module. To try and cure this problem I ran a #10 wire from the 50 amp breaker on the engine to the ignition breaker in the dash and another #10 wire for ground from the ignition module ground point to the main ground connection in the dash. This fix has also been mentioned in another posting but I think it was for a different problem. Hopefully I don't see the problem again.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 1:34pm
I just got back from a week at Lake Powell. The boat ran great and the guages were all reading correctly so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is cured.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 1:28am

DesertSkier posted: <<I just got back from a week at Lake Powell. The boat ran great and the guages were all reading correctly>>

Congrats! I also hope have no more trouble, and I'll be attempting to duplicate your "patch" this week with my 1991 5.8PCM ProTec engine in a 1991 Nautique Excel. Interesting statement at the end of the thread listed below; someone told me the ProTec "limp mode" is activated only by two things, low oil pressure OR overtemperature.

I wonder if low system voltage can be confused with a wrong sensor reading on either of those sensors... In any case, I will be trying to fix my limp mode problem this week also.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1934&PN=1
(see last post about two conditions to set limp mode)

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:16pm
That was me. But, low system voltage can play havoc on any computer module and cause it to do many strange things (this is especially true with my '88 BMW 750iL). So even though limp mode is triggered by low oil pressure or engine overtemp, low voltage could be confusing the ECM into activating limp mode.

Good news if the problem is now fixed. My curiosity would be to find the reason for the low voltage with the factory wiring (and fix it) instead of applying a band aid. However, sometimes the band aid is better when factory systems are marginal. Now that I have a Pro Tec engine, this failure scenario is burned into the brain in the event I should have a similiar problem.
ederaaff@hotmail.com View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ederaaff@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 12:41pm
I have the same problem with my 1994 nautique running on Lpg.
Have had problems with back fire only on accelerating from 800 rpm.
Changed the wires and the problem was over.

At this moment the problem is back a little bit. Sometimes it's running ok and sometimes at snuggles when we are trying to accelerate. When I put direclty power on the ignition unit, the problem is directly gone.

Now finding out which cable it is or... in the winter change all.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:31pm
Tom,

I read your other posting and the symtoms sound close to what I have experienced. I am interested to know how the "band-aid" worked for you. Some of the other things I have done but didn't mention were to break the connections in the harness cable and at the module and crimp the female connections slightly to insure a good connection. I found one of the connections at the harness cable connector closest to the module, on the side of the engine, to be opened up more than the others. As David mentioned, low system voltage can cause electronic components to act abnormally also a ground offset can have the same effect. If there is a potential difference for either ground or the supply voltage between the module and the rest of the system then the module may be misreading the sensor inputs. Good Luck.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 11:29pm
OK: It's been a few weeks, but I fixed the low voltage problem in my dashboard guages. Per the instructions provided in the previous message(s), I installed a 10ga. red jumper wire from the switched side of the ignition breaker directly to the battery (red) wire connection on the ignition switch. About a 2ft piece of wire, and my gauges no longer bounce to an offset, dim, and show low voltage when I turn on the Navigation lights.

Next is to tackle suggested wiring repair to the limp mode problem I'm having.

Tom
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2005 at 3:20pm
8/2/2005...still having trouble with motor going into limp mode.

I have disconnected the ignition control module, cleaned, greased and reinstalled the connector. I also cleaned and reinstalled the ground wire to the module.

I have the following running problem:
Boat starts, idles and runs very smoothly. After warmed up, it's got a little hesitation on hard accelleration. The motor runs right up to 3,800rpm and seems to just STICK right there, but I know for sure it's got more left. Suddenly, it will surge right up to 4,400rpm and run full out like normal. Anytime during a run, it will kick back into limp mode (2500rpm limit) and I have to shut it down and reset the ignition breaker to get out of limp mode.

Does anyone know if there is mechanical advance in the PCM ProTec distributor???
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2005 at 4:46pm
Tom:

First off, no, the Pro-Tec interupter does not have mechanical advance. The control module takes care of that task electrically.

Again, if everything is working properly, only two things cause limp mode: Low/zero oil pressure and engine over temp. You can easily check the sensors and wiring as follows:
1) The oil and temp sensors are wired in series, so you must disconnect the oil pressure switch wire to check either.
2) Using a multimeter, check for continuity between the electrical terminal and switch base. The oil pressure switch is normally "closed" and the temp switch normally "open" when the engine is not running. This is why you have to disconnect one to test either.
3) Test the wiring for shorts. disconnect the wire from the sensors to the tattle tale light. The wire splits to go to the light and the ECU. Disconnect the main plug at the ECU. My engine has a single GM weatherproof connector on the light green wire just before the wire heads for the main harness to the dash (light). Now check the wire for shorts to ground (you should still have the oil pressure switch disconnected).

If the sensors and wiring are fine, then you should be able to eliminate this as the root cause. Although, I suppose it is possible that maybe the oil pressure switch behaves badly at high rpms thus pressures. Disconnecting the wire at the oil switch will eliminate it from the circuit to test while running.

Now, I would check all grounds again. There are probably more than one. One may be under the mounting plate of the ECU and one may be at one of the bellhousing bolts. Look for all and make sure they are clean (corrosion free) and tight).

What worries me a bit is that you have to remove power to the system (ECU) in order to clear the ECU from limp mode. This sort of suggests that maybe the problem lies within the ECU and you are in essence hard booting the ECU. Maybe you should talk to Mark at PCM, (803) 345-1337 for advice on troubleshooting. He may have heard of this problem before and knows exactly the cause. However, I have a hunce that if your ECU is faulty, you are out of luck. Although I believe that PCM has a few Pro-Tec parts on hand, including the ECU, they are saving them for people that have EFI, like me. The EFI engines rely heavily on Pro-Tec as a system, so PCM is hoarding the parts to keep the EFI boats running, as converting to carb and conventional ignition would not be a popular option that makes owners happy.

I have heard that the Pro-Tec coils are prone to failure, but your scenario does not suggest this as a problem per se. Good luck.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2005 at 9:25pm
David F:
As always, great advice from you! Thanks. I will be testing the sensor wires as you suggested, but I ordered a brand new oil and temp switch to install just in case they are intermittent. They should be in tomorrow. I do not care to chase an intermittent electrical problem in a part so easily replaceable so I'm takin' the easy route there.

I did notice an interesting addition to potential cause: My temp switch has been moved. Previous owner removed the switch and installed a short nipple, pipe tee, then put the sensor back into the top of the tee (with teflon tape!?) and out the side of the tee is routed the hot water supply to a heater in the boat. I will be re-plumbing the switch as original and tapping off the circulating pump hose for the hot water. I think the temp switch might be getting an air pocket under it at the top of that tee since there is no waterflow unless the heater's impeller pump is running...

Yes, you are correct about resetting the ECU. I have to shut the engine off to get out of limp mode and it's immediately cleared. This boat has NEVER cleared itself without shutting it off (4 to 5 years to my recollection).

Why it gets stuck at 3800rpm and then jumps to 4400rpm is just nuts... I'm not opposed to swapping out the ProTec system, but I would like to give it a chance to work if I can. It really worked well for many years and I'm hoping to find a gremlin and eliminate it.

Tom
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2005 at 10:00pm
Definately put the sensor in the correct location. If you want the heater, the sensor can be relocated to the circulation pump (not the raw water pump) if it has a plug just under the thermostat housing. You may have to remove the thermostat housing to install the sensor in this location as clearance is tight. FWIW, this is where mine is located since the standard location is used for the water temp sensor serving the EFI. I have three water sensors: Pro-Tec over temp switch, sending unit for guage, and sensor for EFI.

One last thing: Teflon tape can interfer with grounding of the sensor, but the over temp switch is normally open, so this may not be the problem.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 12:51am
Does anyone know if trouble/error codes are stored on the ProTec ignition module and if so, can you read them without a scanner?

I have made no changes from my 8/2/2005 posting yet, but my motor is running worse... It the power/rpm surges while underway with no input from the throttle. It jumps from 3000rpm to 3500rpm and after long periods of idle speed, you can even feel the low rpm operation surging. It really feels like the timing is being bumped around by the ignition module. The motor keeps going into limp mode and I can only clear it by shutting the ignition off (I DO NOT need to trip the ignition breaker as previously posted; Sorry)

I did buy new overtemp and oil pressure switches from Skidim.com, as well as factory PCM ignition wires. I'll change my sparkplugs again, install the wires, sensors, change the (tall can) fuel filter, and remove/clean/replace the ignition module harness connector tomorrow nite and report back to this board.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 11:54am
The Pro-tec ignition system has a function called "cruise mode". This mode automatically advances the ignition timing after 30 seconds of steady throttle. The timing returns to base once the throttle is moved. This mode can be disabled by disconnecting the knock sensor located at the rear of the left cylinder head. May I suggest that you disconnect the knock sensor then check base timing and then run test the engine with the sensor disconnected. The knock sensor and "cruise mode" are the only "items" that have any direct control on ignition timing.

When you pull the plugs, read them. Look for two to four plugs being black or sooty. If so, trace the wires back to the coil pack. This may lead you to a faulty coil.

let us know.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2005 at 12:56am
Now that David F mentions it, I think he could be on to something... The motor could definitely be dropping a couple cylinders and picking them back up when the surging occurs and the four coil packs spark two cylinders each.

I will pull plugs Saturday morning... I just put them in a couple weeks ago, so they should be decent to read. I have new ProTec plug wires to install from SkiDIM anyway and I'll put in new plugs as well.

ANYONE have a new ProTec coil pack for sale...? How about a 1991 ignition module or the complete system if you've changed back to a distributor with the kit PCM sells?

I have already set the base timing twice (18BTDC) and it's pretty solid there. I might take a ride in the engine compartment with the timing light this weekend to see what's going on with the timing when it surges.   

Tom
Gary View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 4:58pm
I have a 93 SN and had a similar problem. The wire not sure of the name but the ones that plug into the firing Mod. (where the dist used to be) were not making a good connect. I trimmed some of the rubber back 1/16 of an inch or so and it fixed the problem. I was at the last moment before converting my eng. when I was shacking wires and as soon as I hit that plug the eng. picked back up. I had spoken to Mark and was on my second coil pack when I found this...Also I have the same problem with the gauges jumping when I hit the light etc. going home tonight and try the juup wire. My only worry is that when i put my volt meter on the neg. bat. term. and touch the neg. wires on the back of my dash pod it shows a .5 volt on the neg side. Shouldn.t neg be 0 all the time?
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 11:32pm
Gary,

First, thank you for the advice on the distributor trigger wire connector. I will try that. I haven't made any progress on my boat the last couple weeks.

Regarding your dash voltage problem, it seems normal to me to have a 0.5volt drop in the wires carrying DC current from the battery up to the dashboard... Read the previous postings carefully then install the 2ft red wire from the switched side of the ignition breaker across the dash to the red/battery terminal of the ignition switch. That one will probably stick your problem on the first try...

Tom
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 11:35pm
I found someone who upgraded their 1991 Nautique Excel to the SkiDIM distributor kit and I'm buying their old parts to try and salvage my system... Otherwise, I'm tired of "test drives" for this year and I'm gonna upgrade mine as well.

Tom
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 1:37am
David F wrote: <<The Pro-tec ignition system has a function called "cruise mode". This mode automatically advances the ignition timing after 30 seconds of steady throttle. The timing returns to base once the throttle is moved. This mode can be disabled by disconnecting the knock sensor located at the rear of the left cylinder head.>>

David,
My engine is carbureted... How would the ProTec system know if I move the throttle? (no TPS here). Is the Cruise Mode maybe found only on the fuel injected ProTec systems?
Tom
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2005 at 12:29pm
You made a very good observation and point. You are correct that I know about cruise mode based on my fuel injected (TBI) engine.

With that said, the Cruise mode lies wihtin Pro-Tec, not the fuel injection module. So, maybe the mode senses a change in RPM via the interupter. Maybe you are correct and Cruise Mode does not exist with carbureted engines.

I will try to do some research to answer this question definatively.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic