Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Sport Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 Sport Nautique
    Posted: August-21-2010 at 2:37am
Hello All,

I am new to the club and have been looking for a Nautique for the past couple of months. I just recently found one and would like some feedback, as this is my first boat purchase. It is a 93 Sport Nautique for 12k Canadian. 400 hours, original interior, tandem trailer (a little rust) with the 5.8 Pro Boss Carbed engine. Does this sound like a reasonable price, is there anything I should be looking at in particular when I inspect it or any other "things" I should ask about.
Thanks for you help.
Kidder
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 3:21am
Price sounds reasonable to me, no wood to check, so really a good mechanical check up would be all you need. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to fill you in on the specifics shortly.
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 11:41am
thats reasonable by all means. check the hull for cracks check that the rudder and steering turns smoothly, maybe make sure the engine runs. i would just take your time run it for a while make sure everything works properly
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2010 at 9:47pm
Kidder, I have a 93 closed bow and love it. Great boat. Solid as a rock. Pulls awesome. Good luck.
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 12:44am
Thank you everyone for your replies and information. I have been looking at the forum and have taken down some great information about the Pre-Checklist questions and will be using that to determine the background information about the boat. I have talked with the seller, he is a little reluctant about taking it out on the water, but will start the engine up at his house! I am thinking this should sound some alarms, but will dry starting it cause some damage?

You guys have so much knowledge about these boats it is incredible...Thank you. Could spend weeks just reading all of the posts.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:20am
I am very happy with my 93 Sport. Great boat. Strong motor.

Personally, I would not buy a boat unless/until I could put it in the lake and drive it.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:24am
Drive it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Kidder Kidder wrote:

I have talked with the seller, he is a little reluctant about taking it out on the water, I am thinking this should sound some alarms.

It absolutely should, unless he has a darn good reason for not allowing an in water demo and can justify it. It's not like it's winterized and it's January. No water test would = no deal if it was me.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 1:34am
Thank you fellas. your knowledge and feedback is amazing.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Kidder Kidder wrote:

but will dry starting it cause some damage?

Oh yeah, definitely don't dry start it. If you start it at his house, make sure it's hooked up to a hose or other water source, like a bucket of water.

These boat have two water pumps, one circulation pump that is just like a car would have. The other, is the raw water pump, which has a little rubber impeller inside. This one feeds water to the circulation pump and the rest of the system, like exhaust manifolds. The little rubber impeller is sensitive to not having water to lubricate it. It can burn up pretty quickly without water.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 7:51pm
Its like buying a car, your drive then buy.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:32am
Thank you everyone for the responses. I insisted we take it out on the lake and he agreed, i think it was just a case of inconvenience for the seller. Anyway, I head out to inspect it and test drive it tomorrow. Again, thank you for all your help and great information.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:42pm
Good luck, I hope it works out.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2010 at 11:49am
Having looked at pricing on some '93 up Sport Nautiques lately, that sounds like a very good deal! Assuming it's had proper maintenance the 400 hours isn't much over 17 years.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2010 at 12:38am
Kidder, did you get to test drive the boat? How did it go?
Are you the new owner of a 93 Sport?
Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2010 at 6:48pm
Hello all,

Yep, took it for a test drive, loved it, offered to purchase, and while waiting for the seller to get the paperwork in order, sold it to someone else without letting me know. So, I am back in the hunt for another one.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2010 at 11:34pm
Kidder, sorry to hear you did not get that boat. Not sure what your budget is, or how far you are willing to go, but there is a nice looking 94 Sport for sale on this site. It is a California boat asking price is $13,000.
Next time you test drive and decide to buy, you may want to put an immediate deposit down to the secure the boat. Especially if it is what you are looking for and in good shape.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2010 at 11:38pm
I know of a 2001 Air Nautique - Direct Drive with a Tower, ballasts. Also in CA. He started at 20K, but I feel pretty sure that 17K cash would get it done. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 9:46pm
Here's a nice one in NH for 15k:
http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1916182035.html

It looks to be in a great shape. I was wondering why it was such a great deal, turns out its a 5 liter engine. I don't know much about these engines, but it seems like a good opportunity to get a good deal if you don't really need the full power option. I'm sure others will weigh in, but I've found you don't need much at all to get up even a big wakeboarder. Footin' etc. is a different story.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 12:30am
I saw that one. What is the 5.0 rated at for HP? I can't see going with a smaller engine in a larger boat, unless the power can be pumped up fairly easily like a 351.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 12:47am
[QUOTE=63 Skier] I saw that one. What is the 5.0 rated at for HP? QUOTE]

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 1:21am
The 5.0's are fuel injected. So, on the plus side, I'd imagine you'd get good throttle response. On the down side, I doubt you can pump them up very easily, except to swap out the whole thing for an Excalibur, which would probably be easier going from the 5.0 since they're both Chevy's.

I asked the PCM guy about the 5.0's at the Northeast Reunion. He said they're good engines, but that a serious slalom skier making a hard cut could haul it down a little.

I'm just saying if the price is right. You'd probably want to give it a thorough test. Including test drive, test ski, etc. To see if it would do the job for you.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 3:37am
Here's a 1990:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1990-CORRECT-CRAFT-SPORT-NAUTIQUE-97356152#MoreDetails

It seems to me this should be a couple grand less based on the year, though 204 hours is barely used. It has the 351 rated at 255 HP (where did they get the extra 15 HP from?), could be a 300 plus HP boat easily with some $$$ thrown at the engine. If this could be bought under $12,000 I think it would be an interesting deal.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2010 at 4:09am
The 89 to 92 sports can be bought for under 12K pretty commonly. Nice boats, but with wooden stringers, the built in platform, and not a very big boat, they are not at the top of the most sought after list. Finding the 93-97 Sports in the 12K range is a good deal of the boat is not all beat up. BKH
Livin' the Dream

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2010 at 11:42am
Brian (bkhallpass)tried to send you a PM not sure if you received. I need some advice.
marklewy@internode.on.net
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Kidder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 9:56pm
Thanks for the listing, but my price point is a little lower and with the transport and dollar conversion, it needs to be in the 15K range. I have seen a few, just not sure how low one can go on the list price. Thanks for all the advice, and I will keep looking.

Kidder
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2010 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Here's a 1990:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1990-CORRECT-CRAFT-SPORT-NAUTIQUE-97356152#MoreDetails

It seems to me this should be a couple grand less based on the year, though 204 hours is barely used. It has the 351 rated at 255 HP (where did they get the extra 15 HP from?), could be a 300 plus HP boat easily with some $$$ thrown at the engine. If this could be bought under $12,000 I think it would be an interesting deal.

This boat is still listed, and the sales guy at the marina and I have emailed back and forth a bit. I told him it should be priced in the $8,000-$10,000 range because of the year. He told me to make an offer, he'd see what he could do. It looks exceptionally clean in the pictures, and about as low hour as you can find in a 20 year old boat. Here's more pics from the marina's web site:
'90 Sport
I'm debating offering $10,000. The smaller hull would work fine for me given the open bow, and I'd check the stringers as best I could, not sure how much access there is but I could turn the engine mount rail bolts and take my chances. I like the idea of a low hours, clean ride at a reasonable price.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 12:05am
David - That is a very nice boat.    If this is the model you are looking for, then cut your best deal & get on with your SN life.    You might have to do stringers someday, but hopefully it will be far in the future.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 2:15pm
I'm guessing it was in salt water, due to the fact it has a fresh water flush kit.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 6:21pm
Interesting comment. I was told it was fresh water only, but I guess I've been told a lot of things over the years.

After discussing this with a few CCFan people I'm going to go slow and make sure I really understand the difference between the '89-'92 and '93 up Sports, make sure I see both in person before buying. If the '90 sells so be it, if it sits there the seller will be that much more motivated in October! I do have to take a trip to NYC in the next few weeks, will be sure to stop and see the boat then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic