NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160, or edelbrock carb?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley 4160, or edelbrock carb?
    Posted: July-18-2010 at 3:46pm
I'm looking to buy a new carb for my 78. The edelbrock marine 600 cfm is around 100 dollars less money, and everyone I have talked to that has ever replaced a holley with an edelbrock has said how much easier the edelbrock is to get set up, and keep running right.

The Holley has the nice feature of being able to run a PCV hose to the base, and it is what I have on the boat, ad what it came with.

The boat already has an edelbrock performer manifold, so I could eliminate the adapter plate i needed for putting the holley on the edelbrock manifold.

Any thing I can do to keep the height lower ( using as few plates as possible) so i can fit my existing flame arrestor is a good thing. I did cut about a 1/2" off the original flame arrestor, but if I add the stock 1" spacer with the PCV port, it is still too tall. I run the PCV port to a plug in the manifold now.

So, what are your takes on these 2 carbs?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 4:37pm
Recalculate your budget and heights after adding a wedge plate to make an edelbrock work.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 5:11pm
Yeah, I was reading that an edelbrock will require to sit level. On my boat, yes, that will require a wedge, and those are not cheap. After the wedge is added in to the edelbrock carb cost it's probably going over the cost of a new 600cfm marine 4160.

I know my holley sure never at level straight from PCM and had no wedge.

If an edelbrock is so picky about sitting level, then how will it perform on a boat that many times is not level at all once under way?

The one guy that has an edelbrock that I read about on CCF has a newer 1.23;1 tranny that makes the motor sit level compared to the 1:1 of my VD.

The other issue with a new Holley is that the new one will have the different style of fuel inlet. I can add a proper metal fuel line with that, right?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

The one guy that has an edelbrock that I read about on CCF has a newer 1.23;1 tranny that makes the motor sit level compared to the 1:1 of my VD.

Tom,
You really need to get to next years reunion. That way you may be able to see some other boats and the engines. It would add to your knowledge and get you out of that Ford automotive closet!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 7:36pm
Oh, I agree, going to the reunion would be great.

How many edelbrock carbs do you know of on CC's?

Holley has the market covered on carbed boats.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 8:17pm
i just put the new edlebrock marine carb on my boat with the spacer . it went on and ran as all my truck and car edlebrocks adj the idle and go. i have never had a bad one. the spacers are online for 40 or so i just got a spare one on ebay i ont need it if you do i will discount it to you .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
85skinautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 9:11pm
Just a note on cost of new Holley carb 4160. If you trust mail order and order from skidim, put ccfan in as coupon code to get 10% off. Should put you around $450.00 (brand new). Not sure what you've got priced.

Just some info on price,
Matthew
85skinautique2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 9:40pm

Oh, I agree, going to the reunion would be great.

How many edelbrock carbs do you know of on CC's?

Holley has the market covered on carbed boats.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom,
You really need to get to next years reunion. That way you may be able to see some other boats and the engines. It would add to your knowledge and get you out of that Ford automotive closet!   

Tom,
The point I was desperately trying to make too you plus being nice, is you need to get out of the closet you're in and see more boats. Not really due to the carb but the down angle trans allowing the engine to sit on the level. Do you know that it's been around since the 50's ?? Chrysler actually did it right after the war. Being very blunt now and AGAIN, you speak up on subjects you really shouldn't. You aren't even versed in relatively current engine/trans combo's!!

Commenting on the carb, ether you stick with a Holley or you are about to get yourself into trouble AGAIN!! JMHO!!!

GET IT???????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 10:55pm
either carb you get will need some setting and tune up, if you cant tune your current why waste money on a new one?

What's the problem with your current carb?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 11:14pm
Pete how do they become level? or close to level?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 11:19pm
Pete, I understood the point you were trying to make, but it's a point that is moot. This will be the last carbed boat i will own, well, and inboard one at least. I also don't ever plan on selling it, so I want it to run properly.

I'm aware how long the edelbrock carbs have been in use, I know that they are not something that is brand new and un tested.

Peter1234, you don't need to discount the adapter if I end up going with an edelbrock, I would gladly pay you what you paid for it. What angle is it? I'm assuming mine would be the same angle as yours to get level.

I just don't know if I want to go with an edelbrock. I have learned more about holley carbs than I thought I would ever need to know. But, I definitely am still not anywhere near a holley carb expert.

Matthew, I am all over the 10% DIM discount, I will have to use another code other than the CCF one as you can only use   each code 1x per season:)

Summit has the 600cfm 4160 for like $409, but this does have a slightly different inlet than the original PCM bowl. I don't think that will really give me too much hassle. I can find a work around if the threading is different on the one from summit. I also have a 20 dollar off code for summit, so that will make the Holley like $390.

Luchog, yeah, I know even a "calibrated for 351W" use holley will probably need a little adjustment, but seeing that i understand float height and all that crud now for a holley, I don't know what else would need adjustment on a new holley. Maybe some accelerator pump adjustment too?

Between those issues, and that the needle valve and seat probably are one of the real issues, I don't want to spend 40-50 dollars on a rebuild kit for a carb that still weeps gas from the shafts, and the carb might have other issues.

Since I will be keeping the boat a long time, it makes sense to get a new carb after 30+ years.

The carb body I suspect is not an original carb body from PCM. It might be that it is not a marine body as it does not have j tubes, and new J tubes won't even fit into it. When PCM started to put J tubes on is not certain, so that does not disqualify it being a marine original carb either.   Also, the shafts have weeped fuel at some point, so even if the whole carb was a marine one, that it needs to be replaced.

One more thing, the PO of my boat attempted in vain to put a holley projection TBI kit onto my boat some time before I bought it. That fact makes me thing the carb is not original, and even if it is a marine carb, who knows how many hours the carb had on it? I know the dealer did not have the original carb, and threw one on they had sitting around. One more reason to get a new one to know what i am working with.

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:06am
Holley, Holley, Holley... Stay with it..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:21am
My '86 351 restoration project boat came with an Edelbrock. It does not have the angled piece. What happens if you don't have it?
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:40am
Good question?

How does yours run with no wedge adapter?
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 2:00am
It runs fine at all ranges, except it floods when shut off and it is a hard start when cold. Oh, yes; it idles fine for a few minutes then wants to choke down and die.
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 2:18am
just got a new holly from summit,$480 and got 40 bucks off... its amazing how good it starts,idles,and even the choke setting is perfect....well worth the money...

this one was set up for the 351
1989 nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 9:24am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete how do they become level? or close to level?

Peter,
The "down angle" trans is just that. A set of bevel gears usually with reduction is at the tail end of the trans. This puts the output shaft at a angle close to what the prop shaft is so the engine sits basically level with the stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 11:50am
Pete,

I think you were a little tough on Tom. Where it may be true that down angled transmissions have been around forever, given the fact that probably 95% of the boats on this site are either BW 1:1s or PCM 1.23:1s, I dont think it was outlandish for him to refer to the 1.23s as the common downangled transmission. You guys have been beating up on him a lot. Some justified, some a little over the top. If he said today is monday you guys would jump in and say, well technically thats not true because just over the international date line it just turned tuesday.

Tom...regarding the edelbrock carb. I'm not a mechanical wiz, but having experience with both, I find the edelbrock much more reliable, user friendly, and easier to work on. Always reading on here about Holleys, power valves, cams, metering blocks, diaphrams, adjustments all needing needing work or going bad. Edelbrocks have none of that. Two needle valves...end of discussion. Mine got a little gummed up this spring. With no previous knowledge or experience (but a new book) I took the top off, cleaned out all the vacuum and fuel passages put it back together and its like new. (besides being tons cheaper than the Holley) I can't speak about whether or not you need a wedge to make it run right. Someone here said no need, but that there were issues. I have a wedge on my chevy, which sets at an angle due to the BW trans.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 12:28pm
Thanks Pete. I also run a marine 750 but its on my camaro 454. every other carb i have is an edlebrock they do seem more dependable
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 12:34pm
Some people can be perfectly happy with mediocre, hense the edelbrock option.

BTW there is indeed more to the edelbrock than two needle valves.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:09pm
If 6 years of easy starts, slow smooth idle, good acceleration, good power, no skips, burps or backfires, 50 mph top end and not a lot of d*cking around with all the aformentioned gizmos that I am constantly reading about getting d*cked around with is mediocre, yup, I guess I am perfectly happy with mediocre. Not being overly mechanically inclined I will take mediocre and reliable over somehow better but fussier and more complex, but thats just me.

I am also perfecly happy with my 76 boat, which is at best a mediocre ski boat compared to a nice 196...anything else you would like to editorialize on my preferences about...my house? car? job?

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Some people can be perfectly happy with mediocre

Very true statement. And it's not that one side is right and the other is wrong.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 1:48pm
Somebody had their insecurity flakes for breakfast.

River Rat to Mole
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 2:30pm
I guess for me having worked on muscle cars since the mid 70s and seeing o rings on transfer tubes leak. gas stains on the intake from float adjustment screw seals. power valves popping, trying to figure out what power valve is the right one , sorting thru jet kits . I never saw a great amount of performance diff between the two but have had a lot more hours having to tweak holleys than edelbrocks. i know there is a diff in raw performance but i would trade the 2.5% perf diff on my 300 hp boat for the peace of mind any day.but what do i know i am only 50
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 2:53pm
I guess that sounds like more baby boomer sour grapes, can't figgure it out, must be the hardware's fault.

I will concede that in a marine application the Pv is like t|ts on a bull. With no high vacuum economy cruise on a boat, load is always proportional to speed, so it only really needs to stay closed from 14-24 mph or so, and if one ups the mains appropiately, could plug it and any a few could tell the difference.
but, i've never seen one pop.

River Rat to Mole
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 3:37pm
missed baby boomer status by one yr its just sour grapes .
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 4:22pm
ok. I'm leaning sour today too.

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I am also perfecly happy with my 76 boat, which is at best a mediocre ski boat compared to a nice 196...anything else you would like to editorialize on my preferences about...my house? car? job?

Not to worry, Larry- I think Tom should be pretty darn familiar with mediocre ski boats too.

I sure wouldnt second guess his carb knowledge, though.

The only experience I have with Edelbrock carbs is the automotive version that came on my Tique when I bought it. I never tried running it, but the set up alone would have been enough to deter me from using a marine version. The wider footprint required bending the throttle bracket, and theres no way a $15 PCM hard fuel line would have reached the fuel inlet.

Holleys arent cheap, so there had to be another reason why PCM used them. Ive never found them to be the least bit fussy.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not to worry, Larry- I think Tom should be pretty darn familiar with mediocre ski boats too.

doh!

River Rat to Mole
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 7:41pm
We were debating about Holley versus Edelbrock for our Classic. It has a 312 with an automotive Edelbrock and we want to get a marine carb. There was a thread discussing carbs on the Y Blocks Forever web site and this guy posts how great his 312 ran with a 600 CMF Holley. I asked him a question about it and he PMs me and says he switched to an Edelbrock because he got sick of always having to mess with the Holley. Now it runs great. It must be a Ford thing with the Holleys.

I'd say of you have a Holley now, stick with it. If you have an AFB, go with Edelbrock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic