NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat's 'missing"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat's 'missing"
    Posted: June-21-2010 at 8:59pm
Had dad's 90 out a lot this weekend...

throughout the throttle play it feels like the boat is "missing" a beat every now and then. Low speeds more often than high. But, it may be doing it at high speeds but just not as noticeable. What are things to check?

It feels kinda like an electronic problem. It is ever so slight...can't even see a change on the TACH when I feel it happen. I'm pry the only one that would ever notice it, as I notice every little change with the thing...

Thoughts? Thanks guys...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 11:11pm
could be any number of things.... start with a tuneup if you haven't done one recently. then check the timing and set it if it's out.   you might even put a vacuum gage on it and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary.... with a small thing such as this, it will just take some investigation. check all the vital signs and see if you turn up anything unusual... that will give you a direction to start with.   it could be as simple as bad fuel, or spark plug wire that's "leaking"
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2010 at 12:03pm
Thanks Dream, I'll check it out.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 12:21pm
if it is just the first time out still, I wouldn't get to excited about it until you run some fresh gas through it and replace the seperator. Sounds like old fuel to me.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 12:24pm
Eh...not sure if that is right 79...we've put 10-20 hours on it this year already... :/
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Eh...not sure if that is right 79...we've put 10-20 hours on it this year already... :/

same tank of gas? if not did it seem to get any better? change the filters lately?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 1:39pm
Multiple tanks of fuel...not sure when filters were changed. We have a nice marina that sponsors the ski team, maybe we'll drop it off and have them have a look see. They did all the work on it this spring. New carb kit, new manifold gasket, new electric choke on the carb.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 3:19pm
then they need to warrenty their work something is wrong.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 5:18pm
Mike, I know the feeling you're talking about. Sometimes you spend so much time in the boat you start to notice things and others think your crazy.    No advice to offer other than check out the fuel like stated above......Just wanted you to know your not alone!

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 5:22pm
haha thanks Chris...I know I'm the only one that would notice it. And if I told Dad about it he'd get all depressed so I'm trying to keep it under the radar. lol

I don't know when the last time he changed the fuel filter was...may check on that, maybe run some sea foam through it. (I believe in sea foam, I know others don't...) I'm not as mechanically inclined as most on this site so I appreciate the responses I get from most. Love this place. Sometimes I think the fam gets tired of me talking about it haha.

ps: that guy I was talking about that had that infinity...he just bought another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hadn't had a boat for like 5 years...I'm excited to see it
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 5:33pm
double check the firing order, replace the fuel and water seperator, double check and make sure all of the wires are seated on the ends of the sparks plugs, check the wires at the cap by pushing on the wire and not the boot to make sure they are completely seated as well and this applies for the coil wire on both ends too.

Give that a shot and see what happens.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2010 at 5:34pm
Thanks 79!!!

Not sure when I will check these out, but I will get back to the forum after I do so. Thanks again
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic