Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tigetoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigetoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Ski Nautique
    Posted: May-31-2005 at 1:23am
I purchased a 1978 Ski Nautique and have Questions???

My Boat has the 351 and I was looking for some power upgraes. The boat just does not seem to have the power I think that it should. I am at 6500 feet.

I also am looking for the best plugs for the boat. Is the best way with a hottrt ingition??

I am running a 13*12 proop and was wondering what rpm I should get out of the boat.

If there are any helpful hints and or recommendations please feel free to type up.

Thanks
scott
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 1:04pm
Scott,
I have recently upgraded my 351W. I needed the motor to run better and with more power. Some of the things I chose to change were the intake, ignition, and the prop. I went with an edelbrock performer intake which makes great power for idle-5500 rpm. I chose not to turn my motor over 4500rpm even though it will very fast. With these parts you motor will rev alot higher. With the taller intake my throtle response improved. I also instaled a new distributor, I went with a D.U.I., this is an HEI set up. http://www.performancedistributors.com/
Thease distributors are expensive but they are some of the best. When you go to the web site look at the marine section for yours. You will have to change the dist. gear, because of the reverse rotation. I just used my old one with no problems. I also perchased a set of there live wires for better fire power. I went with a set of auto lite platnum plugs. With this new ignition my motor idles very smooth and starts with just a bump of the key. I highly recomend this mod. On to the prop, I chose an ACME #540. Take the time to read the revew http://www.correctcraftfan.com/articles/ACME_540_Prop.asp

this article sold me!!!

With just the bolt on parts I have told you about here my boat runs awsome. Every dollor was well werth it. If you would like pictures or more info on changing thease parts let me know I would be glad to help. -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 2:22pm
Scott,
I rebuilt my engine over the winter and I concur with Brad. The Edelbrock Performer intake is a nice addition as is the Performance Distributors HEI distributor. Not only does it way outperform the stock distributor but it really cleans up the wiring on your engine.

If you bought your boat from someone that doesn't live at close to the same altitude as you you will probably need to rejet your carb for the thinner air. If your carb is set up for low altitude it will run rich at high altitude. You'll need smaller jets to bring it back to the right mixture. Keep the old jets around though, if you ever go back down in altitude you'll want to put them in otherwise you'll run lean and that can damage your engine.

Regardless of the changes your boat will make less power at altitude than it will at sea level, but the above upgrades and rejetting should improve things.
gordonw View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 2:33pm
The jets I use at 5000 feet are 44 on the primary I think I'll ahve to take another look. I a 80 American skier with the same motor you do. Mine has 540 hrs and has much power. At 5000ft I can do a deep water barefoot start in 4.5 seconds with 5 people in the boat a full tank of gas and 2 dogs. Your boat should have plenty of power. I did all the performance upgrade listed above except i went with the mallory ylm554 cv dist with the 3440 epoxy coil. No intake though. remember the taller the intake the more power you get at at higher rpm. Go low. High low end torke is what you need. I would rebuild the carb first and then do the ignition upgrades. Have fun.
scott View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 12:34am
THanks for the information.. I will look at the Jets and see where I am running. I think that I am 3500 feet higher than the origional owner. As for the Edelbrock Performer intake I will order it and was wondering where I thinkI should order it. Is there any parts # for the intake and the ingition.

thanks

scott
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 4:37am
With low compression caused by leaking valves or worn rings the best bolt-ons in the world won't help much and you may end up wishing you's paid $200 for head work.

You may want to check the compression of that engine and make sure you don't need to rebuild the heads since she's almost 30 now.

There's nothing better than upgrading a solid engine where you can really tell the difference. The Prop that was mentioned earlier is probably the best upgrade on our old boats. If your engine is a little tired, but not yet ready for heads/rings etc get the 542 prop.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 12:33pm
I agree with 64 Skier. The best single thing you can do is go with the Acme prop. I slalom ski so i went with the 540. Having a carb that's dialed in and working would probably be the next priority. I stuck with my original intake because it's not leaking and I get very good starts from a dead stop. I use a distributor conversion kit (to electronic) that I got from Discount Inboard Marine and it works great. You can build your engine up on the top side, but if it's weak below your only shortening the engines life. Over revving only amplifies the situation and shortens life even more. If you want a fast boat, then you should probably remove the engine and tear it down. You need to decide, speed or stock enhancement!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic