NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaks on older CC hulls

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaks on older CC hulls
    Posted: May-30-2005 at 12:19am
Anyone that has older CC boats and the hull just always seem to fill with water when sitting and packings are good. Check the water intake, rudder, and strut for leaks. CC used a sealing putty that doesnt like oil. The wood filler for the rudder will rot due to water seeping up the bolts and into the wood. Ive pulled them apart, cleaned the surface and reinstalled everything with silicone rubber (gasket maker). What a difference!!
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 8:32am
Use 5200 by 3M and let set 24 hrs to set.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 11:49am
I used 5200 on my exhaust pipe caps. I have since learned I will now never get them off. I wish I would a used a less permanant sealant. On things that may one day be removed I think something less permanant than 5200 should be used - just my opinion.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 12:34pm
Boatlife Boat Caulk is my sealant of choice. It seems to last forever and remains plyable. Disassembly of parts with Boatlife is never a problem. It is rated for use above and below the waterline.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 8:42am
struts?
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 6:40pm
80nauts,

Strut: the brass thingy that holds the prop shaft in place under the boat.

David F,

Do mean Boatlife Life Caulk, i.e. Boatlife's polysulfide sealant? I'm just wondering because that's what I ordered recently for this very purpose. I haven't used it yet though.

Here's a great article I found with more information lots of info on marine sealants:

http://bosunsupplies.com/Sealants.cfm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic