NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
goldenrigley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel
    Posted: May-12-2010 at 2:00am
Good day today! I bought a correct era steering wheel for my 62 Tounament Skier. Now I need the center hub cap. Anybody have an idea as what to use?
Jim in WI
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2010 at 9:43am
Jim,
Great news! How about posting a picture of the wheel. What condition is it in?

The hub center cover may be harder to find that the wheel itself. It would have been a generic plain cover. Some have ended up making them by machining from aluminum and then forming some spring clips to hold them in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rithmetic man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:00am
I recently purchased a correct era steering wheel for my '65 sn and lost the center cap before I was able to install it. The wheel was cracked in a couple of places but easily repaired with auto body filler and then a good painting to match the interior. I was able to fabricate a pretty good replica center cap from lexan (Lowe's) and the auto body filler to give it a domed appearance. I used progressively smaller concentric circles super glued together for depth and then the body filler and lots of hand sanding for the domed effect. While the now installed steering wheel lost some of its originality, it actually turned out pretty good and probably not noticeable.
"Life is hard; It's harder if you're stupid...Pilgrim..."

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

goldenrigley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2010 at 2:31am
Thanks for the idea. My wheels are turning. I quess I need to get creative also for the hub cap.
Jim in WI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic