NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Wobble/packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Wobble/packing
    Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:12pm
Hey gang,

My buddy bought a 91 ski off CCFAN in 08. Nice boat, 900 hours. Last year he drilled a rock with it. Bent his strut a smidge (required replacement) and destroyed his prop. We put a new strut on it, new prop, still runs great. We water tested it for the first time since the rock incident the other day and to be sure everything was ok I popped the cap out of the floor to watch the shaft spin and noticed a lot of water dripping (more than the 1 or 2/min). I told him to take it up a little and water started to spin around with the spinning shaft. Also, it has an ever so small wobble like the shaft could possibly be bent (which I'm sure is possible). We ran it and watched it for some time and it seemed ok but wondering what he's going to be looking at for long term damage. Thoughts?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:18pm
5-6 drips/min is desired. Did he replace the packing?

I'm no help at diagnosing a bent shaft
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:21pm
1-2/5-6 whatever, this things a river. haha

We were out for about an hour though and there was hardly any water in the boat so I don't know....

He did NOT replace the packing. I know little about that part of inboards. Never had to touch it on the '90 so never learned about it...precisely why I'm here :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:23pm
Did you check the shaft when you replaced the strut?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:25pm
By checking the shaft do you mean with some sort of shaft checking device that I am unfamiliar with? We spun it and looked at it and it "looked" very straight. Now, as far as exact measurements go, no, we don't have that.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:37pm
Some reading material for ya packing
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:39pm
Damn, this isn't even my boat we're talking about Chris! haha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:41pm
Mike,
Checking for a bend forward of the strut is pretty easy. It's part of the alignment proceedure. Take a look at Eric's alingment thread and it explains it. Basically you keep the trans coupling half stationary and rotate the prop shaft side. If it's bent, then you'll see a difference in the gap between the coupling and it will follow the rotation of the prop shaft.

Aft of the strut is easy too but you need a dial indicator. It's clamped off to the strut, the measuring tip is placed on the prop taper and then the shaft is rotated.

Anything past about a .002" runout and you'll have to pull the shaft and ether replace it or have it straightened. BTW, why didn't your friend have the strut straightened?

If the shaft is bent, you'll nver get the stuffing box to hold out the water. I suggest checking the shaft before a repack.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 5:45pm
Thanks 8122, all good points. Why didn't he have the strut straitened? Is that possible? That thing is solid...

He turned it into insurance and we got the strut at cost thanks to marina friends...but now that I think about it, since he turned it into insurance why didn't he just have someone throw a new shaft in it...I'll have to ask him what his method behind his madness was there.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Why didn't he have the strut straitened? Is that possible? That thing is solid...

You haven't been spending enough time nor doing a searches on CCfan! Prop shops do it. They are experts at bending brass alloys. Chris (SNobsessed) did his own in a arbor press.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 6:07pm
haha Sorry, I have failed. I thought I was doing a pretty good job at following the threads, I mean I'm on here like 8-5 Monday-Friday, oddly enough, those are the same hours I'm at work!

Well, again, he turned it into insurance so, the easiest thing to do was buy a new one...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic