NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 13141516>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 12:49pm
To Luchog's point, I have never seen a valve job that didnt include a quick coat of paint. You might be surprised how quickly they rust up- you might want to brush something on there now to make your job easier this winter.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 1:49pm
They have been like this for years. I figured they could wait a few more months. I thought about painting them but they still had some rust on some spots and just wanted to get them on. Hell the engine might still be broken for all I know.

Hopefully she'll look like this next year.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2010 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Hell the engine might still be broken for all I know.

Dont be surprised if it's not, you never fixed it.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2010 at 1:25am
Running again. Flushed her out twice. Going for a third in the morning, if all is clear will take her for a run.

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2010 at 1:52am
dont even bother on a third flush, run it as is. Any humidity left inside will vent through the valve covers when the oil gets hot.. Just leave the fume return lines to the flame arrestor unattached.

Put her in the water and check oil level, run her as long as you desire. Leave it alone for a while so that oil comes down to the crankcase, check oil level and colour. wait a few hours, recheck again.

Have you already turned it without the plugs to see if any water is going out the cylinders?

good luck!

vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Just leave the fume return lines to the flame arrestor unattached.

Are you referring to the PCV line? If so, can I simply unplug the PCV valve from the valve cover or do I need to close off that line all together to avoid a vacuum leak?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 11:19am
Took her out yesterday. Gave her a pretty good workout. No signs of water on dip stick. Checked again this morning and still clear. Hopefully it stays that way.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 12:43pm
WooHoo! Fingers crossed.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

WooHoo! Fingers crossed.

...and toes.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Not getting my hopes up.

She seemed to run pretty good. I did not open her up all the way, water was really too rough and I was too scared.

She still starts right up, as before. Seemed to idle a bit low though. Still have my acceleration issue too. I really didn't mess with it much. Just happy to be out on the water. If she passes the test a few more times I'll start tuning her in more.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 1:27am
Great to hear!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 2:05am
I meant to leave the valve cover caps off so any humidity left inside the engine would vent and not be redirected to the carb.

How that oil today? did you check the cylinders for water inside?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 1:40pm
I've checked the oil for the last two days since we were out and all is clear. There was also never any watery oil on the PCV valve like has happened the last two times I got water in it.

I pulled the plugs after the flushings in the driveway but not since we have been to the lake.

One thing I noticed. The very last bolt for the intake manifold at the number 8 cylinder, where the treads are opened to the air and do not go into the valley, seems to not stay at torque. I keep checking the bolts and that one is usually an 1/8 turn or so off of 20lbs. This is after the engine runs, not if it's just sitting there cold. Don't know if it should be a concern.

I had a problem the first time I installed the intake way back in the Spring with those threads. They where stripped about halfway down and the bolt would not torque. So I got a longer bolt and it went past the damaged area and snugged up nicely. Not sure if it's causing the loosening or not. I can always put a longer bolt in since the hole goes all the way through.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 1:55pm
consider trying Locktite blue
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

consider trying Locktite blue

no need for that just throw that torque wrench in the trash and tighten the bolts down and call it a day.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 8:27pm
so maybe it was a bad intake install after all?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 11:23am

so maybe it was a bad intake install after all?

Who knows. Can one bolt a lb or 2 loose cause a leak?

If I did want to us some locktite or longer bolt, what would be the proper way of removing that bolt without removing the intake -which I'm not going to do-? Loosen all and re-torque in sequence? Or should I leave it alone as Chris says and just check it often? No I'm not throwing away my torque wrench, those things cost too much.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 11:32am
From your description, it sounds like the bolt in question is out at the corner- which would make it one of the last ones torqued down in the sequence anyways, no? Just remove the bolt, put some loctite on the threads, and reinstall.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 11:38am
Actually it's number 8 in the torque sequence.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 11:53am
Ahh, my bad. Must have been thinking head bolt torque sequence, moving inner to outer. It shouldnt be a problem to remove and reinstall just the one bolt regardless, especially since the bolt isnt currently holding torque. I assume youre not retorquing every bolt in sequence every time #8 loosens up?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 12:06pm
just tighten it down all ready, don't strong arm it, use a 1/4 drive ratchet if you have to. Screw the loctite it's not needed, the intake is seated and for the most part tight, go back over all the bolts and tighten them up and enjoy the boat. The main reason for the light torquwe is because of the cork gaskets that never should be used and so the intake doesn't cock and get wedged when initially tightening it down.

You have it center in the V, it's sealing on the heads and block, you don't have cork gasket being used , so all that is needed tightening them down very common after any intake install, At 20 ftlbs your not locking down crap and why the thing is loose now. Go back over all of them and enjoy the boat, snug nice and tight, keep the lever arm short close to the ratchet centerline of the socket, not a long lever arm holding the end of the ratchet and you'll be fine. If you want to be anal like the rocker arms so be it, it was a waiste of time then and it's a waiste of time now on this one too.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2010 at 2:12am
Hay Vondy glad to hear you got her running tried e mailing you proubly did get them, i suck at this high tec junk. give me a shout talk to you later jeff
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

Hay Vondy glad to hear you got her running tried e mailing you proubly did get them, i suck at this high tec junk. give me a shout talk to you later jeff

No didn't get it. I'll give you a call this weekend.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 3:07am
Any news here?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2010 at 11:24am

Any news here?

No new news. We were planning on taking her out yesterday but just to damn hot, 104. Plus the lake levels are down 3 feet and of course winds were 5-10 mph which means white caps on our lakes.

Those three factors kept us in the AC. We are hoping to go to our friends lake house next weekend so we will get a lot more run time then. And some ski time.

I'll keep y'all informed of course.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 4:09pm
Second trip out since the heads went on and all is well. Oil is clear as can be. Checked before, during and after. Got up this morning and checked as well. Still clear.

We did a good bit of driving on this trip with a full boat. 4 people, two ice chest and a full tank of gas. Some 10 minute runs cruising at 30mph.

Side note, took the gps with us and noticed how dead on my Airguide is. That was unexpected.

Still have the fingers crossed. Last time it took 3 trips before we noticed water in the oil. But the first two trips did not have as much water time as these latest trips.

I'll post back after this coming up weekend hopefully with good news.

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2010 at 4:29pm
Now you need to come up to Murray!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 1:11pm
Update.

Third trip out since replacing the head gasket and oil still looks good. She's running better than ever. I'm cautiously saying it's fixed.

So guess we will never know for sure if it was the head gasket, the exhaust manifold/s or intake manifold. I'm guessing head gasket.

Thanks to everyone for getting me back on the water! I've learned a lot about small block Fords from this experience. I'm hoping not to have to learn any more for at least a few more years

My fingers are still crossed of course.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2010 at 1:40pm
Maybe it was a warped head, you will never know.

Glad you got it right!!! enjoy it!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2010 at 12:14am
vondy good...
now please try to update your diaries picture..at least put the same but focused!!!
cheers
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

vondy good...
now please try to update your diaries picture..at least put the same but focused!!!
cheers

There is no focused pic of that one. My sister-in-law took it from their pontoon with some iPhone app that applies that affect. I'm hoping to get some better pics before the season ends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 13141516>
  Share Topic