Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Freeze Plug on 302

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jerry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freeze Plug on 302
    Posted: May-21-2005 at 8:33pm
Took the 77 Mustang to the lake today and filled the bilge up with water from the 11/2" freeze plug that had popped out of the block near the starter. Got a new plug but am having a very difficult time getting it in. Ant advice on how to get this job done?

Thanks
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2005 at 9:29pm
I hate to be pessamistic but unless you can get a hard direct hit on it with a hammer I don't think you can get it in. One procedure is to clean the fit on the block and apply a proper sealant to the fitting. Place the freeze plug on the hole (the plug is larger in circumference than the hole), place a large drift or punch that is just small enough to fit inside the plug (I use a socket) and drive in with a large heavy hammer.   
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2005 at 1:33am
I had a similar problem with my 302 in the 76 mustang. I couldnt get a hammer shot good enough to install a new one. So to get me on the lake, I finished peeling out the old plug, went to the auto parts store and bought a expanding universal rubber freeze plug. Its certainly not the greatest, but since the rust worked under the old plug and the bore was pitted badly, a true replacement at that time was not practical.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2005 at 1:49am
Good call Jeff. I didn't know there was such a thing.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 1:59pm
Jerry, It's pretty much impossible to install without lifting the motor, to get a direct blow. If you do lift the motor make sure the socket you use to set the plug is not snug before you start hitting it because it will colapse around the plug and become a permanent fixture in your boat.

My opinion, put the expandable rubber plug in hit the lake. I've used one in the past in a truck and it was still working fine two years later when i sold it. It works like a rubber plug in a jon boat except this one has a bolt all the way through it with metal washers on both ends and as you tighten the bolt it swells up creating a leak proof fit.
SCOMER
Jerry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 3:46pm
Thanks guys.

I purchased the rubber expansion plug and installed it. It looks very capable of getting the job done. Think i'll carry another on board. I'll let you guys know if it fails.

DJ77skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ77skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 4:16pm
you should be able to get a socket with and extension and get it that what i used on my 302 just my .02 cents
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 5:09pm
Keep an eye on your oil when you're out. If water froze in your engine and popped a freeze plug, it may have caused other damage, which would usually show up as water in the oil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic