NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:30pm
I can't really get a long block because I have good GT40 heads that give me 305HP. At $1,800 a piece, you can see why. Any long block is going to come with generic 250HP heads. I already purchased a short block from Rapido Marine. So far my experience with them has not been great.
I called them and was told I should talk to Raul and he would call me back..
At 4pm he hadn't called me, so I called and they said he wouldn't be in till 5:00pm and he calls everyone back after hours.
He did not call that night, so I called back again the next morning.
Ended up talking to him and ordered a short block. They said they would build the motor and call by the end of the week with a tracking number.
Thursday came and no call, so I called them. They said if the motor is ready by 3:00pm they will call with a tracking number, otherwise it would be Friday. No call, so Friday came and I called them back again. They told me a machine broke and the motor would not be ready until Wednesday (tomorrow). So far not a good experience, but I'll give Rapido a final rating after I get the motor and run it for a few weeks.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:43pm
I decided to call them just now (Tuesday) and check on the status of the motor being ready tomorrow. The girl now says they ran our of cores and that the motor will not be ready until Friday. Considering canceling the order and going elseware. If these guys can't get their stories straight, how can they build a motor right?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:17pm
Get a jasper class II short block so that you get the right cam the heads are only part of the 305hp the cam is the rest.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2010 at 1:32pm
Call ed Rapido again on Friday, they said it would be done by the end of the day and they would call me with a tracking number at 4:30... no call. I called again Monday and they finally are saying it shipped Friday and gave me a tracking number. I'll update on how well the motor works out, but from a customer service prospective, I would stay away from Rapido Marine.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 7:40pm
Cliff any news here? did you got that engine running? comments?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 2:59pm
Rebuild starting problem ?

Need some assistance :)

Rebuilt 1988 351 PCM reverse rotation.

New wires and new plugs

New Mallory electronic distributor #YLU554DV
Red wire + Coil
Green - Coil
Brown - Ground on engine

Found TDC installed distributor with rotor pointing in back # 1 cylinder
Fireing order 18456273

Thanks for any help

Will not start ? Backfiring through carburetor ?
Good spark coil wire to ground, spark at plug grounded to block ?

Where do I go from here ??

Thanks for any help

Dennis

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 3:13pm
Based on having done it a thousands times and your symptoms you probably have the plug wire location/order/something off.

My first look would be to make sure you were at top dead center on the compression stroke when you chose the number one cylinder location. So make sure you know where cylinder number 1 is.. cylinder location and distributor rotation. Remove the plug from cylinder one, put your finger over the whole turn to top dead center on your balancer at the timing mark. If your finger didnt get pushed off the hole by 90 plus psi of pressure turn the engine around one complete revoltion back to tdc again. Don't stop until you are 100 percent certain that cylinder was in compression right before you stopped it at TDC. Take a piece of chalk and mark where the rotor is pointing somewhere on the intake then put the cap on and reorder your wires to the order you have above making sure to go in a counter clockwise direct and that you know which cylinder is which. Once you know all that is right use only very small adjustments to the distributor position to get it to start.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 4:44pm
Joe.

I did as you suggested with the finger over #1 plug hole. I turned the engine slowly as described and waited for the preasure to stop pushing my finger. I pulled the distributor cap and it was off about 180 degrees? I originally pulled plug # 1 and put a small dowel rod touching the piston and turned engine until the dowel stopped. This was 180 off the finger method? Does this make sense?

It then began to run if I tricked gas into the carb as the fuel pump appears to be bad.

Is the finger pleasure method a more accurate TDC?

Thanks

Dennis

Thanks

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 4:45pm
I may be confused on this as I'm just learning myself but isn't that distributor for a clockwise rotation
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLU554DV/

and this for a reverse or counterclockwise rotation.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLU554CV/

The DV verses CV in the part number
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 4:49pm
On the phone here so forgive me for being brief, yes it makes sense you were off180 degrees and yes you are now right and gun driver is confused. More when I get to a real computer
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 5:21pm
Ok I have a minute... so gun-driver... The direction of rotation of the engine is talked about in Rh or lh and also as counterclockwise and clockwise and also as standard and reverse... RH, clockwise, reverse all the same thing .. lh, counterclockwise, std all the same thing... and I didnt look but i have no doubt your distributor information is correct.. however none of this has anything to do with the rotation direction of the rotor in a small block ford. The reverse rotation small block ford uses a cam gear and a distributor gear that are cut differently to allow the rotor to still spin counterclockwise just like the standard rotation. If he had the wrong distributor for his reverse rotation camshaft he would not have gotten it all the way down and seated into the engine, and the backfiring would be the least of his worries.. I think I have that right.. but someone will fact check me..

Dennis.. assuming you havent gotten the engine put together wrong the first piston will always physically be at the top of it's stroke where your balancer TDC mark intersects your pointer. The dowel can confirm this but it doesnt tell you if the first cylinder has just completed the compression stroke or not. The crank (and consequently the pistons) go around twice for each time the cam (and consequently the rotor) goes around (thats why the big gear on the cam and small one on the rotor. The dowel or the timing mark tells you each time the piston comes up in cylinder one, but only one out of two times does it come up afer the intake valve was open on the previous down stroke (allowing a charge of air and fuel to be pulled in) and with both valves closed on the upstroke allowing the charge to be compressed and ready to be exploded by the spark. That is when you want the rotor to be there, if it is 180 off it will have just completed the exhaust stroke.. with the exhaust valve open pushing all that air out the exhaust port so the spark does nothing.

If you have your valve covers off and can see the valves you could simply set the engine to the timing mark (again assuming the engine has been put together correctly) right after watching the intake open and close, but with the engine together you need to feel the pressure and go slow... if my description is still too confusing.. give me a call 315 567 1273... I am sure your about to hear that thing running...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2010 at 6:03pm
I always seem to get the direction thing screwed up. That's why we rely on this site for expert advise.

After I posted that I thought about it and I would think that there would be no way to get the opposite distributor gear in. DAH!!!!
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 12:58am
It took me a while to try to find the right oil pump tube/screen. Auto parts stores kept ordering the wrong one which was slightly different than the one I have. I noticed when putting it in that the rods blew smacked the tube pretty good and not only bent it but put a nasty crimp in it that would probably have caused me to lose 50% of my oil flow. I got the new filler tube today and put it on.. SO the oil pump is on, filler tube..So I flipped the engine over to start working on the top half. The gasket set I received with the engine has head gaskets that cover 2 of the ports in the front of the motor. The holes in the block line up with holes in the heads, but they would both be blocked off by the gasket. Is that a concern or is it supposed to be that way?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 1:56am
Originally posted by clibat2 clibat2 wrote:

The gasket set I received with the engine has head gaskets that cover 2 of the ports in the front of the motor. The holes in the block line up with holes in the heads, but they would both be blocked off by the gasket. Is that a concern or is it supposed to be that way?

The front water passages are blocked by the gasket so that no air is trapped in the block.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 10:28am
if I had to call somewhere and ask for Raul, it better be for a massage....not an engine
"the things you own will start to own you"
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 11:46am
Thanks Luchog!!

I don't know about you, but if I was going to get a massage and the receptionist said, "Raul will be right in.", I would run out of there pretty fast.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2010 at 12:01pm
The new block on the stand..
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 1:29pm
A new Harmonic balancer is now being shipped. I guess the 3 bolt blancer (which i have) is more expensive than buying a new pulley with 4 bolt holes and the 4 bolt balancer. I was told by SkiDim that they are the same thing, so i ordered the 4 bolt pulley/balancer from them. Should have them Friday.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 3:51pm
Okay, almost done. The engine and tranny are together and it is on the mounts in the boat. Help me a little with timing here if you could. Does it matter where the interrupter assembly starts? I have the motor at TDC, and can easily line up a distributer with spark plug 1, but of course I don't have a ditributer on this Pro Tech setup. I'm reading in some places that it self-adjusts. Any advice on setting initial timing on a Protech TBI?
Candlewood Lake, Western Connecticut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by clibat2 clibat2 wrote:

Okay, almost done. The engine and tranny are together and it is on the mounts in the boat. Help me a little with timing here if you could. Does it matter where the interrupter assembly starts? I have the motor at TDC, and can easily line up a distributer with spark plug 1, but of course I don't have a ditributer on this Pro Tech setup. I'm reading in some places that it self-adjusts. Any advice on setting initial timing on a Protech TBI?

My advice is READ THE DAMN PCM MANUAL.

It is clearly stated how to set the system and that base timing has to be set as well as verifiing the timing at 700 and 2200. All of this information is in the referance section if you would just look that is why it is there, to read and use to repair and tune the different engines.

I just don't understand why people can be so lazy and not look at the Manauls for simple questions. FYI the protect is not self adjusting, it will adjust the timing according to the engine's needs but it has to be set correctly before it will function correctly.

FYI ditch the ProTec now and get a distributor from MyCorrectCraftParts.com before the protec tanks on you.
clibat2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clibat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:31pm
Whoa chill out! I tried. There are 6 different manuals that might help, and I looked through them... I have a 1995 Sport Nautique with the PCM EFI and what is out in the manuals section that "might" help?

1995 Owner's Manual
PCM 302 and 351 Engine Manual
PCM Service Manual
PCM Pro Boss GT-40 Service Manual
Ford 302 and 351 Marine Service Manual
PCM Engine Manual (1993)

There are thousands of unsearchable pages throughout this group of manuals. When I do find info in the index, I go to that page, and it starts talking about distributer engines. I wish there was 1 clear manual for my setup, but it doesn't seem to exist.

I hear you on ditching the ProTec.. It may happen someday, and hopefully before I am dead on the water! As for right now though, I've dumped enough money on this bear the last 2 seasons, and the only thing I didn't have to replace was the ignition system. It has been working great for me even at the ripe old age of 15! Exactly WHICH manual would you suggest I look at for initial timing setting for this setup :)
Candlewood Lake, Western Connecticut
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 5:42pm
the correct one which took me all of thrity seconds to find. 1993 manual.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 6:16pm
Chris,

Can you ditch the Pro-Tech on the EFI motors?

Cliff,

Where you at on Candlewood? my family has a place at Holiday Point.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 8:09pm
No, I am 99% sure you need the ProTech. This is why I can't buy a new ProTec system. SkiDim saves them for the injected guys.

Wanna buy one for me clibat2!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 9:42pm
Todd,

That's what I thought as well, EFI needs the Pro-Tec.

When the Pro-Tech tanked on the Paragon (Carbed Pro-Boss) we did the conversion kit Chris mentioned and IMO it ran stronger then new with the Pro-Tec.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2010 at 9:48pm
just an observation... did you replace or have your starter rebuilt?

If it was tired it might have problems turning the new engine over.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 11:08am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Todd,

That's what I thought as well, EFI needs the Pro-Tec.

When the Pro-Tech tanked on the Paragon (Carbed Pro-Boss) we did the conversion kit Chris mentioned and IMO it ran stronger then new with the Pro-Tec.

Well I guess I'm that one percenter that can read a wiring diagram and would use a gt40 distributor and get the job done to convert your EFI Pro-Tec system to a reliable ignition system and ditch the POS Pro-Tec system, But then I'm just a hobbiest so the F do I know. But you might try a search has it has been done all ready and posted on here as well.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:21pm
I like the good owle Chris!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:41pm
Chris,

Can you say "Goosfraba" for me, LOL.

OK ya goon, so would this conversion entail moving the distributer to the back of the motor where it belongs, LOL!!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 2:45pm
No distributor belongs at the back of the motor. That's just plain wrong!
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic