Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hesatation out of the hole

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jon View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hesatation out of the hole
    Posted: February-26-2004 at 7:12pm
I just bought a 84 nautique with a 351 in it. The problem I have is that from idle when you floor it, there is about two seconds of hesatation before the boat takes off. It runs great if you ease into the throttle, but not out of the hole. does anyone have any suggestions on this matter.

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2004 at 4:02am
I'd say the fuel filter would be the first thing to change. It can get a lot more complicated than just that and sounds like a general tune-up would get you back in shape.

With a new purchase, a tune-up is in order. Probably the last thing the Seller will do is the little $40 jobs.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2004 at 12:19pm
Check the accellarator (sp) pump on the carb. It could be worn or needs adjusted, Since when you ease into it everything is fine, when you hit it hard and it stumbles it is a fuel delivery issue. Do check all the fuel related filters and replace them. Being that it is new to you and you don't know how old they are you should replace them cheap insurance and a tune-up is in order as well.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2004 at 7:38pm
both are correct, but what i find as an item that is often over looked is the flame arrestor. clean it. ( misaligned belt driven items will clog it up with belt dust.)

do the tune up, change both the fuel filters ( dirty filters are more of a fuel starvation at higher engine speeds.)

be extra carefull with the accelerator pump diaphram. those small screws are easily stripped if they have been overtightened into the pot metal. there is a small check valve on the housing that maybe clogged or letting the fuel backwash into the bowl. clean that. there is also an orfice on the metering plate that may also be gummed up being low in the fuel bowl.

there is also a vac orfice that goes into the choke housing that may be leaking.

the fuel in the primary well needs to aireate. if it's not, it will cause a sluggish response.

timing, dwell, mixture and the idle setting are all inter-related. set the dwell first. make it idle at 600 to set the time. SOME carbs just close the primary plate at idle. SOME are set with a feeler or wire. (book time) last but not least you set the mixture.

don't do it in any other order or you will get bad off idle response.
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2004 at 2:13pm
jon - after you check, or do eveything that
tryan told you to do, and you still have a
problem, You probably have an internal engine
problem - And if your motor is like mine was before I built it, the timing chain had so much slack in it, that I'm surpised it was
running as good as it was. I installed a "true double roller chain set" when I did my rebuild. Just a thought coming from an ASE
master tech
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2004 at 11:47pm
I agree with dan, most hesitation in any motor is usually caused from improper valve, ignition timing. I would adavnce the ignition timing, before advancing to the parts changing step. It will diagnose your motor for you, provided everything else is copisetic, and you have no vacuum leaks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic