Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

problem after spark plug change

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
goski73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goski73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problem after spark plug change
    Posted: May-17-2005 at 2:03pm
I just changed my plugs on a 94 PCM 351 with the Pro Tech Ign. and now I am getting a bit of hesitation at skiing speeds. Boat starts and idles fine but when reaching 3000 RPM it gets intermittent hesitation. Could this be a bad plug or wires? I first thought it was fuel as I also changed my fuel filter but I am leaning to a bad plug? I see no cracked ones but????
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 3:53pm
If the spark plugs were dropped in shipping or at the parts store it's very possible to have a bad plug. You don't have to see the crack for the plug to misfire.

In aviation, if you drop a plug its scrap. No questions asked
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 4:06pm
Will it keep increasing in RPM and reach over 4000 RPM ? If not you could have a fuel pressure issue, It could be a plug but usually that will show up all of the time. Is the Pro-tec the distributorless ignition system? If so then you can have a coil pack breaking down at highter RPM.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:04pm
Lets back up a little. How was it running before you changed the plugs? Were you having problems then?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 6:10pm
Check the plug wires. You might not have one tight on the plug, or you pulled the plug end of the wire apart when you pull the boot off the old plugs.

Check the resistance of the plug wires...all should be within a kohm of each other.
goski73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goski73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 2:24am
Hey all thanks for your input. I am happy to say that all is well and after changing the new plugs again, and going ahead and doing the plug wires as well she is running like she did before I started messing with things.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic