NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Shaft Seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:00pm
it's called a safty collar, there should be a couple set screws you can loosen and slide it up the shaft further.
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

it's called a safty collar, there should be a couple set screws you can loosen and slide it up the shaft further.
Just in case you do not know what a set screw is, they take an "Allen" wrench. If you do not have a set of "allen" wrenches you will need to purchase some.
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:51pm
ok, thanks, I thought it might take an Allen Wrench, but it looks like it is stripped out. I will see if I can turn it. Thanks again...
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 2:03pm
Thanks so much for your help, bubbaskier & 79nautique!!! Got it done! Will see how it "drips" when I drag it to Stonewall Jackson Lake in WV next week. But on the "safety collar", on of the Allen screws is missing, and the other is now totally stripped. Any idea where I could get new safety collar screws?
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2010 at 3:08pm
You should be able to get the set screws at any well stocked hardware store. You will want stainless steel if possible. Brass or aluminum may be okay but I am not sure if they will have enough strength to stop the shaft.
Gregman380 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregman380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:33pm
Pete,

I got the 68 Mustang in the water and was able to make a few laps around the lake. I am keeping her in the water boat slip for few days. I am seeing a lot of water coming on board. Even after I run the bilge pump and come back 7 hours later there will be 5 inches of water back in the bilge.

I suspect that I need check the prop shaft packing, hose and everything in that area. Where do I get the reccomended packing? I have been scouring the post about using a gortex blend? The PO gave me a bag of what looks like wire mesh for plumbing. I think anything he gave me would be wrong based on everything else I have found.

I like the link Hollywood posted. Really good for guys like me!

Thanks for the previous help with the RWP as well. I have it working the way it should now.

Have great 4th of July celebration!

Regards,

Greg
hughman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2012 at 2:52pm
I got my "virtually dripless" packing from www.skidim.com . I would recommend these people for most of my boat part purchases. They are real good at answering any questions you might have about what to order, almost as good as this site. Gives you at the least a price to compare if you can find it locally. I usually end up ordering stuff on-line from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic