NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It should be true

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by phospher phospher wrote:

Dinosaurs, so you think the bible is wrong and the earth is really much older than 6k years old? Dinosaurs existed millions of years ago which contradicts the bible. Have you ever wondered why there is no mention of dinosaurs in the bible?

I love when this question comes up. I'll throw a couple questions back...

1. Does the Bible state exactly when Earth was created and exactly how long it took for the entire process?

2. Does the Bible mention every creature God created? Dinosaurs are not the only excluded creature, right?

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

...No one knows for sure and just because you haven't seen a fairy doesn't mean they don't exist...

LOL, that reminds me of the movie "The Santa Clause". Remember the part where Charlie asks Neil whether he has seen a million dollars. Same idea.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

We can do what we please, not worry as to whom we harm ,have absolutely no consequences for our actions. Live and let Die so to speak, at that time we return to dirt from which we came.Boy what an idea, what a way to live.
Full Speed Ahead & Damn The Torpedo's..............

No No No. This is one of the common view points said by Christians. I am not religious. I'm an atheist, have been for many years and it doesn't take a bible to get morals. First off, there are consequences for your actions it's called prison. How long do you think you will be around if you walk around punching people in the face? See, you think people are inherently bad I think people are inherently good. Just think about this.. what's better a person who needs to be threatened by hell in order to be "good" or someone who is just good for the sake of being good? God does not have to scare me into being a kind person by threatening to send me to hell for eternity.

But I have to ask one question Phil, what if you are incorrect and there is a God, and there is a Heaven and there is a Hell. Would you be so bold as to tell God that he ain't real?

I've kind of answered this one already. First of I would ask him why he made himself so hard to believe in. Then I would have some really choice words for someone who lets so much suffering, death, and destruction take place when he has the powers to stop it. I'm kind of wondering where he was again when the quake in Chile hit. Certainly there are innocent children who died. That is no way to treat someone.

Like prayer... To me, there is nothing worse than when I see professional athletes praying as if god is going to help them yet he continues to allow things like earthquakes take place. I always say, God didn't help the jews in the halocaust and he sure as hell isn't going to help you.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 7:06pm

Yes, and it's Christmas. Nothing more than tradition and celebration of the winter solstice. The bible doesn't say anything about celebrating Christmas. I'll bet you can't even find a mention of Christmas in the bible. Christmas trees didn't become popular until the 16th century in Germany. And I've never lied to my kids about Santa either..

OK, Phil. I mean no offense here, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. The Bible doesn't talk about Christmas in the way we look at it in our modern society. However, the whole reason Christians celebrate Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth (kinda why it starts with Christ). The key elements of Christmas that Christians used to celebrate Christmas are all part of the story of Jesus' birth. The gift giving to others was supposed to remind us of the gift God gave us, by sending His Son in the form of man, and also the gifts the wise men brought. Kind of how communion is supposed to remind us and emulate the Lord's supper and symbolize His blood and His body.

You've probably heard the saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" around Christmas time. Pretty much sums it up.

You could pretty much say that "Christmas", in the traditional sense, is a Christian holiday. That's part of the reason why this country is trying to be PC and say "Happy Holidays" instead.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 7:50pm
Phil,

I'm not sure I can rebut or truly answer some of the things you just posted, but I will share something with you that is the core of Christian belief. This will touch on the "being a good person" things you talk about, why God "allows bad things to happen" and what Christianity is about.

From the very beginning, God only wanted to have a relationship with us after He created us. That existed, at first. God also did not create us as robots, He gave us a free will. We sinned and seperated ourselves from God, essentially messing up the relationship. Sin has seperated us from God and made the relationship difficult. You'll noticed the Bible talks a lot about God's love and it also talks about His judgment. If you notice, whenever someone in the Bible strives to be close to God, through a real relationship, the loving portion is represented. Whenever man is being sinful, the judgmental side is represented. You will also find that every time sin is mentioned in the context of God's action or reaction, there is a very distinct impression that God is angry or hateful. This is because God hates sin. He hates it because he knows it ultimately destroys us and it damages our relationship with him.

I look at God as a father trying to have a relationship with his son. When things are going well, the relationship is strong. When your son misbehaves, the relationship is strained, usually because you have to discipline the son and teach him how to be on the right path. Imagine that as a teenager your son gets into drugs. The relationship becomes even more strained and you may even become angry about the situation in a way that makes your son think you are deserting him or judging him. In reality, you hate the drugs and the damage they are doing to his life and wish he would stop, but you know it is his choice and ultimately you cannot force him to live life a certain way. All you can do is sit back and be there for him when he needs you. As he continues with the drugs, more bad things happen to him.

Imagine if a person outside the situation said to you "I can't believe you are just sitting back and not doing anything to protect your son from all these bad things...what kind of father are you?"

When you say something like this...

Originally posted by phosphor phosphor wrote:

Then I would have some really choice words for someone who lets so much suffering, death, and destruction take place when he has the powers to stop it. I'm kind of wondering where he was again when the quake in Chile hit. Certainly there are innocent children who died. That is no way to treat someone.

...it makes me think that maybe there isn't a complete understanding of what God is all about and wnants from us.

Think of it in the way I described...the father of a son abusing drugs. You might say "Yeah, but God has the power to control the situation." Ah, good point. If you had the power to get your son off drugs, would you exercise it? If so, would it really correct the problem and would your son have really learned how to do those sort of things on his own and appreciate you for teaching him or would he essentially become dependent on you for all things?

It is my belief that God wants us to not have to be dependent on Him for all things but that he also wants us to have a relationship with Him. We (humans) really messed that up in the early days trying to do "good works" but ignoring God in the process. If your son did all his chores and was a good kid, but never talked to you, hugged you, came to you for advice or showed he loved you, would you feel that was a good relationship?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:10pm
Quote OK, Phil. I mean no offense here, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. The Bible doesn't talk about Christmas in the way we look at it in our modern society. However, the whole reason Christians celebrate Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth (kinda why it starts with Christ). The key elements of Christmas that Christians used to celebrate Christmas are all part of the story of Jesus' birth. The gift giving to others was supposed to remind us of the gift God gave us, by sending His Son in the form of man, and also the gifts the wise men brought. Kind of how communion is supposed to remind us and emulate the Lord's supper and symbolize His blood and His body.

You've probably heard the saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" around Christmas time. Pretty much sums it up.

You could pretty much say that "Christmas", in the traditional sense, is a Christian holiday. That's part of the reason why this country is trying to be PC and say "Happy Holidays" instead.

Obviously I know what Christians celebrate Christmas for. No where in the bible does it say when Jesus' birthday took place. So just how did they come up with the 25th of December?

Have you ever done real independent research on Christmas? Outside of Christian literature? If you have then you would know that Christmas is nothing more than Saturnalia for Christians. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia which the Christians eventually monopolized on to push their beliefs and persuade the roman pagans to join in their belief. Please, do some research on Saturnalia and the history of Christmas then get back to me. You see, when you really start researching this stuff. And I mean REALLY with an INDEPENDENT non-biased eye it becomes clear it's a made up story by man.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 10:05am
can you guys please get a life.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 10:27am
I would think heaven is running out of virgins, 72 per guy? there arnt that many down here on earth
"the things you own will start to own you"
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:31pm
As i said back in the first couple of pages in this forum no one is going to change the way phil thinks ,it seems to me something has happened in his life to make him this bitter and its a strong possibility that he was raised to believe this way,the best we as christians can hope for is that one day he will think back on the seeds that have been planted here in this topic and choose to open his heart to the truth my prayers are with him and all who choose to reject Gods eternal love and forgiveness.many of you have made very good and valid points and i have enjoyed reading it. but as far as trying to convince Phil there is a god i think its time to put this one to bed.
davee40
lakeland,fl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:03pm

Quote OK, Phil. I mean no offense here, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. The Bible doesn't talk about Christmas in the way we look at it in our modern society. However, the whole reason Christians celebrate Christmas is to celebrate Christ's birth (kinda why it starts with Christ). The key elements of Christmas that Christians used to celebrate Christmas are all part of the story of Jesus' birth. The gift giving to others was supposed to remind us of the gift God gave us, by sending His Son in the form of man, and also the gifts the wise men brought. Kind of how communion is supposed to remind us and emulate the Lord's supper and symbolize His blood and His body.

Obviously I know what Christians celebrate Christmas for. No where in the bible does it say when Jesus' birthday took place. So just how did they come up with the 25th of December?

Have you ever done real independent research on Christmas? Outside of Christian literature? If you have then you would know that Christmas is nothing more than Saturnalia for Christians. Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia which the Christians eventually monopolized on to push their beliefs and persuade the roman pagans to join in their belief. Please, do some research on Saturnalia and the history of Christmas then get back to me. You see, when you really start researching this stuff. And I mean REALLY with an INDEPENDENT non-biased eye it becomes clear it's a made up story by man.

You're right, the Bible doesn't say "AND ON THE 25TH DAY OF DECEMBER, CHRIST WAS BORN". It does provide some general thoughts as to when Jesus was conceived and that leads a person to believe he was born somewhere near December 25th. I agree that the Christians probably decided the 25th was good and it very likely could have to do with the pagan celebration of winter solstice. I'm sure there are reasons behind that, which ultimately don't really matter to me. I celebrate Christmas to remember Jesus' birth. I could care less if I do it on December 25th or February 1st. It doesn't change the true meaning of it in my mind. When it's all said and done, technically you could say I celebrate Christmas everyday, because every day I think about Christ being born and what that means to me as a Christian.

Do you believe Jesus existed?

Do you believe he was conceived in the Spring and subsequently was born somewhere near December?

There are a lot of things that are celebrated throughout the world that may not be 100% accurate relative to dates. At some point people just decided that they wanted to celebrate in on a certain date. That doesn't take anything away from the meaning of the celebration and the reason for it. Why does it really matter that much?

I find it interesting that after everything I typed this is the only thing you latched on to.

Like was asked earlier, what do you call the winter holiday you celebrate with your kids? What do you tell them the reason is?
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

As i said back in the first couple of pages in this forum no one is going to change the way phil thinks ,it seems to me something has happened in his life to make him this bitter and its a strong possibility that he was raised to believe this way,the best we as christians can hope for is that one day he will think back on the seeds that have been planted here in this topic and choose to open his heart to the truth my prayers are with him and all who choose to reject Gods eternal love and forgiveness.many of you have made very good and valid points and i have enjoyed reading it. but as far as trying to convince Phil there is a god i think its time to put this one to bed.

Davee, Actually I was raised catholic completed my communion and all. It didn't take long for me to realize it was all bogus. I think it was around 4th grade. My mom was religious and she tried bringing me my brother and sister up Catholic. My dad, now he was a much smarter scholar and he new better. Which explains why I can remember going to Church on Sundays and my Dad not being there. My mom is no longer a religious person perhaps an agnostic at best.

Out of all the points I've made the only one that any of you have been able to remotely question is the point about dinosaurs because as someone stated God doesn't say what a "year" is. Grasping for straws in my opinion.

Also, to make a counter point of Okie's recent posting... You mention free will. Are earthquakes, huricanes, and tsunamis really free will? No, one might say Gods will.

Quote open his heart to the truth

How can you even mention truth? This is another point I'm trying to make. You can't possibly know the truth. Why can't you just admit that your possibly wrong? Truth? Your basing truth on a book with zero evidence. You have faith and that is all you have. Faith is strong belief without evidence. Don't mix up truth and faith it's intellectually dishonest.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:15pm

Also, to make a counter point of Okie's recent posting... You mention free will. Are earthquakes, huricanes, and tsunamis really free will? No, one might say Gods will.

Well, if you were raised catholic, you know the answer to that. God gave us (mankind) the choice to walk with him, sinless, in paradise. We could have lived without bad things happening, like earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis had we chosen the right path. God allowed us to make the choice, though, and we made the wrong one.

Like I said in my teenage druggie example. As a father, you don't 100% control your children. You let them exercise free will. When they choose the bad path, destruction comes with it. You, as the father did not cause the destruction or even will it to happen. Your son caused it with his choices.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:31pm
So, first things first. I was right about Christmas and you should not have been falling out of your chair laughing.

Quote Do you believe Jesus existed?

Hard to say. No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus ever existed. No artifacts, works of carpentry, dwellings, or self-written manuscripts. All the accounts are hearsay.

Quote Do you believe he was conceived in the Spring and subsequently was born somewhere near December?

Again don't know he was ever a real person.

Quote I find it interesting that after everything I typed this is the only thing you latched on to.

That's because it's the only thing that I thought was worth commenting on. If there is a specific point that your looking for me to comment on then just let me know.

Quote Like was asked earlier, what do you call the winter holiday you celebrate with your kids? What do you tell them the reason is?

Like was mentioned earlier, we celebrate Christmas and the winter solstice. We call it Christmas for traditional reasons only we probably should be calling it Saturnalia but Christmas is well embedded just about everywhere. And I tell them about the mythology of Jesus. I tell them where Christmas really comes from, have you told your kids yet? Some Christians even argue that Christmas should not be celebrated.

Quote Well, if you were raised catholic, you know the answer to that. God gave us (mankind) the choice to walk with him, sinless, in paradise. We could have lived without bad things happening, like earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis had we chosen the right path. God allowed us to make the choice, though, and we made the wrong one.

OK. Would you agree that the hundreds of little 1 month old babies who have died from what I like to call "Natural Disasters" are innocent? If you agree then wouldn't you think it wrong of god to create these natural disasters and kill innocent children? Do you really think that if such a God existed he would allow this to happen? Do you not think that scientists know what causes things like hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis? Because based on what your saying it's an act of god. I think just about every scientist would disagree with you.
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:33pm
Yoy seem to be stuck on the dinosaur thing ,as tim stated gods timing is not the same as our timing,and i personally believe that at once a time they did exist,Phil you seem to be an intelligent person and i think that no matter what you read or study you are so biased in your opinion that you see what you want to see.tell you what, try reading a book by William P Young titled The Shack.i think it would be an interesting read for you
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:51pm

Yoy seem to be stuck on the dinosaur thing ,as tim stated gods timing is not the same as our timing,and i personally believe that at once a time they did exist,Phil you seem to be an intelligent person and i think that no matter what you read or study you are so biased in your opinion that you see what you want to see.tell you what, try reading a book by William P Young titled The Shack.i think it would be an interesting read for you

I can't let comments like this go unanswered. Here I am the one who has been Catholic, been to Methodist and Luthern Churches A LOT, and continues to study several different religions. Then there is the (in this case) Christian. Won't question the bible, is taught to accept it as the word of God, throws out all the bad stuff in the scripture, interprets the bible however they like, and has no evidence of any of this stuff. But I'm the biased one? Again, your not being honest with yourself.

As for the book shack, I will read that book, even answer a quiz if you read the short book "Letter to a Christian Nation".
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:15pm
Well with all the churches youve been to it seems your searching but you have to keep in mind that religion isnt what saves us ,ive seen hundreds of peoples lives transformed by accepting jesus as thier lord and savior ,and no matter how many arguments you present to them they will tell you that they know what is real because they unlike you have felt the transformation in thier hearts and life. youve talked about you dont believe in anything that you cant see or touch ,do you tell your kids that the word love is not going to be used in your house because to the best of your knowledge it doesent nor has it ever existed because you have no proof of it.
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:56pm

youve talked about you dont believe in anything that you cant see or touch ,do you tell your kids that the word love is not going to be used in your house because to the best of your knowledge it doesent nor has it ever existed because you have no proof of it.

No, love is just an affectionate feeling towards someone. Not sure I understand your point as I don't see how this relates to believing in a religion. Love does not make claims of miracles or that Jonah lived in the belly of a whale for 3 days.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 2:57pm

So, first things first. I was right about Christmas and you should not have been falling out of your chair laughing.

Quote Do you believe Jesus existed?

Hard to say. No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus ever existed. No artifacts, works of carpentry, dwellings, or self-written manuscripts. All the accounts are hearsay.

So all the historical writings of his existence, other than the Bible, are innacurate. All these people of the time were all conspiring together to prove the existence of a man that never really existed? The artifacts that have been found that refer to Jesus are fakes? Is that what you're trying to say?

Quote I find it interesting that after everything I typed this is the only thing you latched on to.

That's because it's the only thing that I thought was worth commenting on. If there is a specific point that your looking for me to comment on then just let me know.

I think it is interesting that you seem to have ignored the points I made about the relationship between God and man. Then you try to bring it up again to try to paint the picture of God as being a hateful being. Kind of like this...

OK. Would you agree that the hundreds of little 1 month old babies who have died from what I like to call "Natural Disasters" are innocent? If you agree then wouldn't you think it wrong of god to create these natural disasters and kill innocent children? Do you really think that if such a God existed he would allow this to happen? Do you not think that scientists know what causes things like hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis? Because based on what your saying it's an act of god. I think just about every scientist would disagree with you.

Again, I'll go back to the examples I've already stated. God does not cause these things to happen. Sin has allowed evil and damage into this world, which was not the way God wanted it. I'm sure He would rather not see these things happen and would rather us have the type of life Adam and Eve experienced in the beginning.

If a druggie mom ends up causing irrepairable damage to an unborn child, is it the druggie causing it to happen or is it her "sin" and her choices to do the drugs that. Furthermore, if she was your daughter, would you not forcing her to stop doing the drugs be the cause of the damage to your grandchild?

Do you see my point? By God allowing us to choose what we do and most of the world engaging in and continuing to sin, many bad things happen. They come along with the decision that started with the first human beings and they are a result of their decision exercised from the free will they were allowed to have. You reap what you sow and many times your personal actions, or choices, can effect innocent people. I don't view it as God causing it and don't understand why you do. The only thing that I can gather is that it fuels your reasoning for believing that He must not exist because if He did, and was loving like He was supposed to be, He wouldn't let those things happen.

Let me ask you a question. If you watched a friend of yours go through the druggie example with his son, would you consider him to be an unloving father by letting his son make his own choices and deal with the consequences?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 3:06pm
I have read and tried to understand this post and what it has to do with CCFan, not a clue.Phil is trying to convince Phil that God ain't real.That being said " ENOUGH ALREADY".....Next he will be on a soap box shouting that The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy are also pagen rituals also.................Phil to you I say "Bah Humbug"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy are also pagen rituals also.................

Well Billy its coincidence that you mention it because both the Tooth Fairy and the Easter bunny are were indeed created by..... Just Kidding!

I guess following "Phil's Philosofees" I guess William Wallace "Braveheart" never exsisted either. I don't think there are any artifacts that exist that confirm that he was a real person and that anything ever written about him was made up. If so, you cannot confirm the artifacts are genuine or indeed him, but only speculate that they are.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:07pm

I agree its a moot point
davee40
lakeland,fl
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:31pm
Moot indeed, but I'm trying to keep an open mind as after all it is the Off Topic section and it's not getting nasty. So I'm choosing to look at it this way: While we certainly have the option to tune out some or even all of Phil's beliefs and ideology if we like, I could meanwhile listen to the insightful responses of our CCF bretheren like Okie, Davee, Tim, Chuck and others for days, and otherwise might not get that opportunity and it's been a nice renewal of my faith. If no one had any interest they simply wouldn't post replies. I believe and hope, that one day Phil might be touched in a positive way such that he can't possibly otherwise find an explanation for, rendering him cause to ponder. When I was a youngster I posed similar questions to my spiritual superiors, but I've since been reached out to, well beyond coincidence, to where I know there's a higher power. I need no further proof. You guys are great for taking the time.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:38pm
Well stated reid and this has obviously been a popular thread the last i checked out of 17 members ther were over half viewing this with waiting anticipation
davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:58pm
Quote So all the historical writings of his existence, other than the Bible, are innacurate.

You guys are missing the connection here. The bible makes extraordinary claims. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence just in every other aspect of life ( I know except religion).

Quote The artifacts that have been found that refer to Jesus are fakes? Is that what you're trying to say?

Can you please enlighten me to these artifacts? Perhaps I've missed the compelling artifacts.

Quote I don't view it as God causing it and don't understand why you do. The only thing that I can gather is that it fuels your reasoning for believing that He must not exist because if He did, and was loving like He was supposed to be, He wouldn't let those things happen.

Let me ask you a question. If you watched a friend of yours go through the druggie example with his son, would you consider him to be an unloving father by letting his son make his own choices and deal with the consequences?

But you certainly agree that God could stop it if he wanted too right? And that's kind of a loaded question. I certainly would try to stop my son. And if it was my daughter and she was pregnant I would try a heck of a lot harder. You see, I'm trying.. Did god try and prevent any disasters? Guess we'll never know for sure.

Quote .Next he will be on a soap box shouting that The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy are also pagen rituals also.................

You say this as if I was wrong about Christmas. However, I was the correct one here. And trust me, I don't need convincing that god doesn't exist.

Quote Well Billy its coincidence that you mention it because both the Tooth Fairy and the Easter bunny are were indeed created by..... Just Kidding!

Yes, all you can do is joke because you simply can't dispute the facts.

Quote I guess following "Phil's Philosofees" I guess William Wallace "Braveheart" never exsisted either.

Again, does William Wallace claim to perform miracles? If so then I would need more evidence than a book. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

And I also agree moot point. But as long as someone wants to engage in the conversation I'll be standing by.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:00pm
Phil,. Your American Skier, was possibly made a short distance from my house.Next you will tell me it is better than a Correct Craft. Then come back and say there really is no Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy did not put that dollar under the pillow......................The shrink told me there would be days like this.More sessions will help me cope with my inner feelings of betrayal...............Bad Mommy/Bad Daddy/Bad Teddy
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:05pm
You all have actually been reading all of the posts? to much to keep up with if you ask me. To each their own live and learn I say.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:23pm
While I have read some really interesting posts here, like Reid, I appreciate the fact that this is one rare, long winded thread with an age old argument that didn't come to blows, I'm sitting here wondering why ?? Why is it that after 5 pages with opposition so left and right, are you all bothering trying to convert one another??

Phil "doesn't believe". Not sure why it's so hard for the guys across the table to understand and accept it.. And I'm not saying that the thread should end, although taking up valuable band width with no resolve...

Anyway, believe what you want to believe in. That diveristy makes for a more interesting planet...

Oh, and for the record, I was devistated when the cash flow ran out after finding out the tooth fairy was mom....

Carry on gents..

Moj.
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Oh, and for the record, I was devistated when the cash flow ran out after finding out the tooth fairy was mom....

Carry on gents..

Moj.

Tell me its not true Joe!!!!!!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 5:29pm

Quote The artifacts that have been found that refer to Jesus are fakes? Is that what you're trying to say?

Can you please enlighten me to these artifacts? Perhaps I've missed the compelling artifacts.

The Ossuary of James is one. I'm sure you've heard of it by now. James' burial box with the inscription "James son of Joseph, Brother of Jesus". Of course, I'm sure you're probably on the bandwagon attempting to claim it to not be authentic or some sort of hoax.

Bottom line, there are writings and a few pieces of evidence that provide enough proof that Jesus existed. Ultimately, it's good enough for me.

Quote I don't view it as God causing it and don't understand why you do. The only thing that I can gather is that it fuels your reasoning for believing that He must not exist because if He did, and was loving like He was supposed to be, He wouldn't let those things happen.

But you certainly agree that God could stop it if he wanted too right? And that's kind of a loaded question. I certainly would try to stop my son. And if it was my daughter and she was pregnant I would try a heck of a lot harder. You see, I'm trying.. Did god try and prevent any disasters? Guess we'll never know for sure.

Very good point. Do you think God doesn't want or try to stop bad things from happening to us?

Go back to the example for a minute. Think about if your son or daughter continually resisted your attempts to stop the damage they were doing to themselves or the unborn child. At some point, no matter how hard you "try" you can't stop it. Someone that isn't aware of the efforts you put forth might ask the same of you that you are asking me regarding God, don't you think?

Eventually, you might even back off and stop trying if resisted enough. Do you think it is possible that is what we are seeing with the way God is reacting to our behaviors and decisions? If He just stepped in and prevented bad things from happening and controlled everything to our benefit, wouldn't that contradict the idea of giving us a free will?

As far as the Christmas discussion, I don't think you have proven anything about who is wrong or right. You're correct that the Bible doesn't specifically spell out the date Christ was born, but we know he was born around the time Christmas is now celebrated and the Bible does ellude to the fact that His birth should be something to celebrate. Although, the Bible spends a great deal more time looking at the death and resurrection as being something to celebrate.
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:07pm

Guess we'll never know for sure. ah but your wrong one day you will know for sure

davee40
lakeland,fl
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 6:15pm
Quote The Ossuary of James is one. I'm sure you've heard of it by now. James' burial box with the inscription "James son of Joseph, Brother of Jesus". Of course, I'm sure you're probably on the bandwagon attempting to claim it to not be authentic or some sort of hoax.

Bottom line, there are writings and a few pieces of evidence that provide enough proof that Jesus existed. Ultimately, it's good enough for me.

Yes, I recall hearing about the Ossuary. Did you ever hear what happend to the men who brought that artifact to public? I don't think they fared so well. A little research shows, "By 2008, in what has been termed "one of the biggest forgery scandals ever in the history of archaeology", an Egyptian, Samah Shoukri Ghatas, had confessed to manufacturing the many items for Oded Golan (the guy who had this Ossuary).

Hardly reputable evidence in my book.

Quote Very good point. Do you think God doesn't want or try to stop bad things from happening to us?

I don't think god has a say so because I don't think there is a God.

I get your point about the whole drug and parenting thing but I'm not all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful so I think your comparing apples to oranges here.

Quote Do you think it is possible that is what we are seeing with the way God is reacting to our behaviors and decisions?

Possible yes, probable no.

Quote He just stepped in and prevented bad things from happening and controlled everything to our benefit, wouldn't that contradict the idea of giving us a free will?

I'm confused. Why do Christians pray then? If god allows free will like you have described I don't understand why people waste so much time praying. He's not going to answer your prayers right? Seems like praying and free will are contradicting each other.

Quote As far as the Christmas discussion, I don't think you have proven anything about who is wrong or right. You're correct that the Bible doesn't specifically spell out the date Christ was born, but we know he was born around the time Christmas is now celebrated and the Bible does ellude to the fact that His birth should be something to celebrate. Although, the Bible spends a great deal more time looking at the death and resurrection as being something to celebrate.

Grr, Did you not do any research on Saturnalia? Let me help you.

Was Jesus born on December 25?

"Was Jesus born on December 25? There is no evidence for this date. So then, who decided that Jesus' birth would be celebrated on that date? The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially proclaimed December 25 as the birth of Christ. This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice.

The apostles in the Bible predicted that some Christians would adopt pagan beliefs to enable them to make their religion more palatable to the pagans around them. Therefore, some scholars think the church chose the date of this pagan celebration to interest them in Christianity. The pagans were already used to celebrating on this date.

The Bible itself tells us that December 25 is an unlikely date for His birth. Palestine is very cold in December. It was much too cold to ask everyone to travel to the city of their fathers to register for taxes. Also the shepherds were in the fields (Luke 2:8-12). Shepherds were not in the fields in the winter time. They are in the fields early in March until early October. This would place Jesus' birth in the spring or early fall. It is also known that Jesus lived for 33.5 years and died at the feast of the Passover, which is at Easter time. He must therefore have been born six months the other side of Easter - making the date around the September/October time frames."

Care to reconsider on the Christmas discussion?

Quote Guess we'll never know for sure. ah but your wrong one day you will know for sure

Consider the possibility that when you die that's it you die. You cease to exist in any form or fashion, life is over, you are not in heaven or hell nor are you reincarnated. Just gone like you never existed. The only ones who have any idea you existed are people you met while you were alive. Now with that in mind, I say, guess we'll never know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic