Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pauly-Banana before decals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pauly-Banana before decals
    Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:03pm
My first look at a Correct Craft came in 1952 at the East Side Lake in Austin, Minnesota during the Tommy Bartlett traveling road show. After the show one of the inboards hit the tail end of the jump. I and others jumped into the water and helped get the tow boat out of the water. I was only 12 years old and heard more swear words that night then I had ever heard before. The prop shaft was bent and hitting the bottom of the boat. On every spin of the prop it gauged into the bottom of the boat which was made of wood! Several years later while visiting Wisconsin Dells and the Tommy Bartlett's show, I started thinking about buying an inboard. At the time, Rob Shirley and His wife were skiers for Tommy and discussed with me about buying one of his boats that he would soon have into production.

I decided to buy a Correct Craft because I could order it that fall. The Mastercraft were not ready yet! I had not seen many inboards, in fact my 1968 was the first around the Rockford area! I had never seen a Mastercraft in or out of the water.

Here are some pictures of my 1968 after having the sides were painted in the classic mid 1970's Ski Nautique! This was in front of my home.

Here is an interior shot! Notice the huge mirror off a semi-truck! The bigger the better!

Here are some pictures of my 1968 at the Dells's. My buddy Orin is at the wheel!

Here is the 1968 running full out!

Here is our dog Sam in the Judges chair behind the drivers seat. He took the job very seriously!

Here is my 1968 parked next to Orin's 1972 across from the Bartlett show! Notice the green junk in the water. We had huge issues with all the little green things getting into the water pumps. Our engines started to over heat! We always hated to see that stuff!

Here is a picture of my 1968 next to my new 1983. This picture was taken just before selling my 1968. The guy in the window of the 1968 bought the boat.

Front picture of the 1968 and 1983 in my garage.

Here is a picture of the 1983 at Wisconsin Dells. Less than 7 hours on the boat and already we had a handle go through the wind shield. Skierbrant and Skierox were pulling the announcer from the Tommy Bartlett show on a slalom ski. When the announcer fell, the handle snapped back through the glass. Luckly the handle went right down the middle. Skierox and Skierbrant were stunned by what had just happened. Here are pictures of the clean-up.

I kept my cool and let the pro's handle this!

Here is a picture of a much happier day for me at one of Tommy's show reunions! I am the one in the bib overalls with a red and white shirt and hat! Being able to ski in the show was a blast!

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:21pm
Cool stuff, Pauly.    I know someone who skied for Bartlett "Jamie"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:26pm
Great pictures Pauly!
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:35pm

Very nice photo's..

But remember I like GREEN.   

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 9:38pm
You never guess what my favorite color is!

Paul!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 10:00pm

If I can answer that, will I get a prize.....

Maybe a nice "GREEN MUSTANG SHRIT" with Black letters.

Dave
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 10:20pm
Great History Paul,

Thanks for sharing!!
83Ski
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 10:36pm
Paul....great pictures! Who painted your '68 Nautique with the mid 70's stripes. Did you do that yourself or did you take it to Angola for that?

Tsk, Tsk, you didn't keep it orginal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 12:45am
This was one of those times where painting on the lettering was the right thing to do! I had a local sign painter named "Vinge" paint it for me. We got the stencils from Correct Craft, but he never used them for anything more than a guide. Only problem was when I brought the boat home I noticed that one side was higher than the other when I backed the boat up the driveway. I could see in the mirror right away that we had a problem! I ran it back to the painter to have it corrected. At that time, I found out that two different guy's had painted each side seperately. The paint was still fresh so one side was repainted to match the other. Only three feet of the front spear needed to be redone and lowered to match the other side. Shortly after getting it painted, we added a new red intake scoop on the front bow and an all fiberglass white engine cover. The new engine cover gave us more room inside the boat. The scoop looked real mean. I wanted blower caps also in the rear, but we could only find one at the Correct Craft plant. The front scoop and engine cover resulted from a nice Florida trip during the winter. We went to the plant for a tour and came away with new stuff. Funny how that happens! We threw the engine cover on top of our station wagon and away we went back to Minnesota! It must have looked like a huge luggage rack. Gas milage was poor that year getting back home, but really worth the any extra cost!

Not sure if we can get a prize out for that question, seems a bit easy, but go for it and find out.

BTW-I only do decals, or in slang language "stickers!"
I also enjoy all kinds of Correct Craft shirts!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 12:57am

I like this game, if I pick wrong color then I owe you a shirt....

So roll the dice and the color is...........

Dave
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:30am
Pauly was ever so nice to donate a large collection of vintage repo Correct Craft stickers. These will be for sale this week end in Florida at River Run,thanks again Paul.
The quality is impressive...........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 1:45am
I appreciate the nice comments, enjoy yourselves and I hope the weather is better than it is here! I hope to make it next year and see some old friends.

Dave, roll the dice man! I hope we both win!

Enjoy yourselves and try not to get into too much trouble!

Pauly-Banana
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 8:55am
Love the thread Pauly. Brought a smile to my face reading it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 10:28am
I sure wish that CCF had been around in 1983. I would have thought about keeping my 1968 for reunions, or just for the pleasure of taking a ride in it. Big red (1968) seemed to have a passing gear when the 4 barrels kicked in the old 318! Really fun boat to drive! All I know is that it ended up in Northern Minnesota somewhere! The red really stood out!

Glad you guys liked the thread. I will see if I can find a few more interesting things pictures to add.
Clew In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clew In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 11:44am
Hey Pauly-Banana,

You have a great looking boat and thanks for the pictures.

And thanks again for the stickers. I hope to have mine looking like yours soon.

Clew In
Clew In
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 2:14pm
I really enjoy your photos and thank you for reproducing such nice stikers and decals !!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 3:05pm
WOW, nice stories..ha in some 20 years I will be able to post stories like your here!!LOL
But won´t be able to reproduce that old style picture look though...
that´s what I miss from the film camera´s..developing the film and having the pictures printed in paper...now with the digitals you hardly print them..they just lay around on the computer...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
502Python View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 7:30pm
Pauly, did you know a guy who skied for Bartlett by the name of Les Pfingsten? He was there in the early '70's when he came back from Vietnam.
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 10:07pm
i hope thats not you in the white on white with the white socks
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 502Python 502Python wrote:

Pauly, did you know a guy who skied for Bartlett by the name of Les Pfingsten? He was there in the early '70's when he came back from Vietnam.

I really like that name 502Python! I enjoy driving one with the 502 even more! Sorry, I did not know Les Pfingsten, but there is hope that someday I will meet him as we continue to discuss the possibilty of another reunion. Tom Diel is the guy in charge of making that call, but I will be there and I will look for Les at our next reunion!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i hope thats not you in the white on white with the white socks

He was the announcer Bob Chase ! Great guy, one of the best! He did it for many years!

I am wearing the fashionably smart bib overalls!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2010 at 11:59pm
Pauly,

You have the best posts and the greatest vintage photo's!

My greatest memory of the "show ski world" was at the state tournament in Wisconsin Rapids back in 03' or 04', my daughter Maddie was 3 or 4 years old, it was a really hot weekend, her brother was skiing with the Aquanuts at that time, she was running around in the "Red" sand and her sunblock sucked it all in, she was so "Red" stained literally from head to toe, everywhere we went people just gasped and laughed cause they knew she was having a blast. I was wearing a white Aquanut T-Shirt while carrying her, never got the "Red" stains out of that one!

State was always my favorite tournament.

So what is your "favorite" color, LOL??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 1:30am
Back in 1999 we started doing some reunions in Southern Minnesota! Here are some pictures. Hope you enjoy them!

Banner shot!

Nice collection of Correct Crafts!

Flag Line!

Bruce at N3boatworks helped out with the banner, shirts and hats! Bruce and Ken Meloon have been a friend to my family and Correct Craft owners in our area for many years!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 9:44am

Pauly,

The color is RED...    

And yes, Bruce is a very nice guy and one of the newest members on the site !!!!

Dave
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 3:18pm
Wow...cool thread. Love seeing those old pictures! It's amazing to see what the boats and events were like back then. Gorwing up in the 70's and 80's those pictures remind me a lot of my childhood era.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2010 at 4:03pm
Paul,

Really enjoy pictures and stories from the 60s-70s-80s. I have a few pics, not many, but a lot of memories.

Pretty much just skied (two then one and then some tricks...still have my original northland trick skies) behind the boat from 63 till 70 (first an early 60s woody and then a 66 CC Mustang)

In 72 I was determined to learn to barefoot, had never even seen it done live before.   One set of artifacts I do have from those days are some books. Taught myself to step off using two of them. Some excerpts below.

I joined AWSA in 1972 and got a cool patch and the old style round decal.   I sent in my "official" declaration of barefooting for 1 minute and got a cool AWSA Barefoot club patch. Subscribed to the little Water Skier magazine, which I believe back then was pretty much the Chris LaPoint magazine.

Learning to step off - Al Tyll's book, 1966

CC Mustang from same book

66 Al Tyll Skier plug

In the early 80s I decided it was time to become a man. Still didn't know anyone who could do it or teach me so I bought John Gillette's book and taught myself deepwater starts, tumbleups, tumbleturns, bomb-outs and flying dock starts.

Thought of Tim B with this picture from Johns Book.

I must have tried this a billion times in the 80s (long line...had no boom) and never made it. Who would have thought 20+ years later I'd finally get it.

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 4:35am
Wow Memories.I was a Dells brat as my dad Drove for Tommy for 13 years in from late 60's thru the late 70's.Fell in many of motorboat holes down by the docks.I have a ton of pics from childhood as the Parties as a lot of the parties were held at our house back then.Remember signing any of these when you were there ?

I have been trying to get these off of pop for quite a few years now.I had him talked into taking them to the Reunion right before the Draining happened but they never made it as the Celebration was kind of put off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic