Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to look for? Buying '89 BFN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to look for? Buying '89 BFN
    Posted: February-15-2010 at 2:44am
I'm considering buying an '89 Barefoot Nautique from a skiing acquaintance. It would be my first CC, and I want to find out what to look for and check out to know just what condition it's in. I've skied on it a few times over the past couple of years, but want to know how to identify things that might not be obvious and on the edge of going and costly.

The BBC is currently not starting although last time I skied with him late last summer it ran a bit over 45 on the GPS. He tells me over the past year it's been starting harder and harder and dogging quite a bit until it's thoroughly warmed up. He never did anything about it and used it less and less the later part of the year. Sounds like carburetor and/or general tune-up stuff to me, but I plan on doing a compression check to see what it tells.

I see from some other posts the floors on old CC's can be a problem. What's the best way to check it out? I went around tapping with my knuckles and it seemed solid except for the hatch behind the motor which is definitely rotting along one edge. It had a cover at one time, but it's torn and he's apparently been storing it outside uncovered for awhile.

I also noticed one of the motor mounts looked very rusty, had large pieces of rust flaking off it. Almost looked like metal that's been near/in salt water. Seems like that's relatively easy to replace though if it is bad enough.

What else is there to look for? Transmission? How to check that? He's asking $3,000 which includes a trailer and spare prop. Is that a decent price?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 3:20am
Welcome to the site! You'll find there are lots of members who have BFN's and know TONS about them. Do a search for "pumpkin patch" and you'll see a complete rebuild of a BFN...its some great work!!

As far as the floor, check the motor mounts and see if they tighten or spin freely. If they spin then that means you've got significant rot. Thats a good starting point for now. If the boat is close to you snap some pics and get back to us on the overall condition!

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 11:27am
L2F
Welcome aboard.
If he's asking $3000, and the boat is in anywhere near decent shape, grab it. There are a lot of threads on buying a used boat and what to look for. I'm sure someone will post a link or two for you. I'm no expert, but if the engine was running last year and your compression test is OK, as long as it didn't freeze over the winter (not sure where your located), that part is covered. The floor and stringers are the major issue to figure out. Quick check, like Storm said, is the motor mount bolts and a visual under the access cover. Look for spider cracking on the gelcoat.
If this is too much work, give me a very accurate location of the boat, and I'll over and personally check it out. Is cash OK... er, I mean have a good day.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

xjay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 9:34pm
grab it worry about probs once you get it....thats a steal
the hard starting could be as simple as batt, alt, or starter
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 10:04pm
As far as a transmission I bet Erive Lavine, our resident transmission expert, will chime in soon. Little I know is check the oil, if it looks a strawberry milkshake then that's a problem. If you put it on reverse, only put it in grear in the water, and you hear a thump sound then it might be the "plate" thing, I forgot the name. Is the part that mates the engine to the transmission. Both things are not super expensive and the plates can be done in your home. If the boat is in good shape is a great buy. How many hours? In term of the engine I would check the compression and water in the oil. Not much goes bad. The hard starting can also be the points. That is inexpensive to fix.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 10:06pm
Here is the linke to Eric's Fantastic Finish Marine website.
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 2:53am
I thought it sounded like a decent price until I started reading some of the posts that say just about all the old CC's are going to have wet floors, and then started reading the Pumpkin Patch thread. Stopped reading PP after about the 6th page with a headache. Although I enjoy a good project now and again, replacing the floor looks like the grand daddy of all boat repair projects. It would take me a long, long time to get it done. Hard enough to find time to get my feet on the water as it is.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 10:17am
eventually all pre 93 boats will need stringers job unless they were extremelly well cared...factory set up was prone to take water mainly from the front ventilation system.
Another is finding an already restored boat but expect to pay 3x that price for a nice BFN...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 10:41am
L2F
If your acquaintance is interested in selling the boat at that price, there are a couple of us who would be interested, only if you aren't. I, for one, have been looking for an '89 or '90 BFN. So keep us informed as to what you do.
Unless the boat is a a total piece of crap, my suggestion would be to BUY THE BOAT! (and then sell it to me for a very small profit. )
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 1:48pm
Kapla, if there's one in the states for $9K that had the floor already done I'd be interested. However, I haven't seen any for sale that have mentioned having the floor redone - which would obviously be a big selling point.

tullfooter, if I decide against the boat, I'll post the sellers name and you all can work it out with him. He's a friend of mine and I'd rather see him get the money.

That having been said, if the floor has any decent life left in it I'd like to pick up the boat. For the time being at least I'd plan to ski with it not work on it (at least not that much work). So the question is...how to know how bad the floor is...

If the motor mounts are tight and the rest of the floor doesn't sound or feel soft when tapping with a hammer, can it be assumed it's going to last awhile? I need to check more thoroughly, especially forward of the motor from what I saw on the Pumpkin Patch pictures, but what I've so for checked around the sides of the motor and toward the back didn't feel soft or sound soft to my knuckles.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 2:04pm
I agree that $3k is a good price if it isnt a total basket case and could be made to run decent with minimal work and $$. If there are no obvious signs of water intrusion and no soft spots in the floor, Im sure the boat could be used as-is for a while. Do pull the motorbox, rear seat and removable panel in the rear and inspect all around the bilge- the areas where the panel sits and around the muffler areas seem to be weak points in the design.

Also find out if the boat was run in salt. That would take its toll on all metal pieces in the boat- most notably the engine (water passages) and the trailer.

Do a compression test and see how it comes out. 45mph is on the weak side- these boats should be running in the upper 40's (48-49) in healthy tune. If its starting hard, maybe a tuneup will improve its overall performance as well.

Do inspect the interior closely... the delux interiors of the late 80's are not cheap to replace. Figure that will run you $2500-3500 for a complete replacement with factory quality vinyl. Carpet will be another $300. A good cover will be in the $400-600 range. It adds up quick!
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2010 at 3:34am
I took a closer look at the way the motor mounts today. I assume when I hear to check the motor mounts to see if they spin, it's referring to the bolts (screws?) that hold the angles on each side to the floor structure. All the vertical ones I could reach on top were tight, all the horizontal ones on the sides spun and did not tighten. I checked the actual motor mounts themselves and they were tight. The way the horizontal ones spin doesn't sound good though. Does mean the end is near for this floor?

Also checked the rest of the floor by tapping on it with the end of a wrench. It sounded a bit less solid at a few spots than the rest of the floor. When I pushed the drivers seat side to side I thought I could see the floor flexing a little bit on the outside.

The rear motor mounts and the rear of the transmission were also definitely heavily rusted. That combined with the fact the boat has a flush system makes me think this boat was used in salt water.

Is it still worth picking up for $3000?? At least for a few seasons I'm looking to ski, not work on it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2010 at 10:09am
Matt,
Regarding the checking to see if engine mount bolts tighten trick, it's the lags that go into the wood that are key. It's one of the non invasive ways to check for rotten stringers. Pretty localized though. The tapping is another but not always effective. Sometimes it may just be loose glass and not rot. The floor flex doesn't sound too good. Forward of the engine is a area that is prone to rot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 1:38am
Matt if you don't want to spend 3000 on that one then you could always buy this one for $20,000!!!!

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/1611773367.html

I am sure it is a nice BFN but I think they need to do a little market research on a good asking price

WOW!
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 2:50am
Certainly makes $3K seem like an easier decision. In the current economic climate I think I could probably get it completely redone for less that $20K.

Unless someone's going to tell me the motor could jump off the motor mounts because the lower lags are spinning, I'm probably going to go for this one and see where it takes me.
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:12am
I'm finally able to get to running a compression test on this boat. Does the water pump impeller have to be removed to keep from damaging it while cranking the motor?

The boat appears to have a flush system, but not sure whether it gets water to the impeller.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:49am
is the flush system on the water intake hose from the bottem of the boat? take the belt off while you do the compression test, but it should be performed on a warmed up engine close too or at operating temp, but you could run the water to it first to warm it up.....you will get bad readings if the engine has been sitting and you attempt a comp test.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Love2Foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love2Foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 12:06pm
A warmed up engine is a problem, it's not running. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try to get some indication of general engine health before committing the money. Thought a compression test was a way to get some indication.

How will the compression readings be affected? In a predictable way?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 3:42pm
wouldn´t really know, but my common sense tell me that reading won´t be real...metal shrinks and expands depending its temperature...so testing in colds will tell you one thing that when tested in worm will make no sense at all...but I could be wrong hahaha..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic