NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer Installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer Installation
    Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:29pm
I just bought an Airguide from someone on Ebay and included in the box is a 10" long "equalizer" tube. The instructions say to mount this tube vertically at or near the water line and the image in the instructions show the bottom of the tube slightly above the water line.

With my back seat loaded the water line is about 8" below the rear deck. That will place the bottom of the equalizer about 3" or 4" or 5" below the water line.

Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem? I am going to hold off cutting a hole in my dash for the gauge until I know more. Thanks!!!
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:18pm
Jim:

I think the purpose of having he tube vertical and above the water line is to allow water to drain out of the tube if some should enter. If you trailer your boat, then the water will drain each time you pull the boat out of the water. If you leave the boat in the water, then I suppose you would eventually lose some of the equalization properties of the tubes volume ( the portion below waterline) and get a bit more movement in the needle. FWIW, my tube is sitting horizontal in the bilge, so I lose about half the effectiveness and do not really notice much needle jump.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:51pm
That's what I needed to know. Mine is going horizontal the in the bilge too. I really don't want to drill holes in the hull. Thanks!!!!

Now, where does a person get a 3-7/16" hole drill?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 2:22pm
Jim, Use a compass to make a 3-7/16" circle where your gage is going to go. Then chuck up a 1/4" bit and drill a hole around the circle (the inner part)every 1/4" or so. Then you can use a jig saw, dremel tool, rotory saw, to "connect the dots". You then have a rough cut hole. Dress it up with a half-round file,sandpaper, sanding drum( on a dremel tool) or whatever to finish her up. The key is to make sure that your drill bit doesn't go out of your circle when drilling. The more holes you drill around the circle the easier it will be to final dress it. It's monotenous and time consuming work but the makes the job easier.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 4:10pm
My tubes are mounted vertcally just above where the pitot is on the stren on both sides of the gas tank. I don't know if I would mount them horizontally in the belge. I would say that you would have drain problems mounting it that way and will most likely be replacing them again next year after the water freezes in the line and ruins the equallizer tube. Just keep in mind that the line from the pitot to the equallizer will have water in it and from the equallizer to the guage there is no water in the line
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 5:07pm
79...:

Keep in mind that Jim lives in Houston, so freezing is not a big issue. Yes, I agree that mounting them horizontally will cause the tubes to suseptible to filling with water...but only half full or half empty if carefully placed to the water can drain back down the line somewhat. I clear my tube of water as part of my winterization process and there is little if any water each year.

Jim:
Another option would be to place the tube vertically behind the instrument cluster. Others may correct me here, but I do not think it matters where the equalization tube is placed along the pressure line.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 5:33pm
I only have the one bronze pick-up mounted on the keel right behind the transmission, and my equalizer is mounted in the bow behind the speedometer wire-tied to the steering cable. It's not quite horizontal, but close. It is much higher than water level and it is lower than my airguide. I drain it when I winterize and I find a very small amount of water in it.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 10:38pm
Sounds like I can mount it anywhere. That increases my comfort factor.

BTW, freezing is definatly an issue here - it got down to 30 one night just a couple of years ago. :)

(I actually live closer to Galveston than Houston, about 15 minutes from the beach, it's a fairly tropical climate, mildew and all. But, if my name was Jim_In_Clear_Lake_TX no one would have any idea where I was.)

Thanks mucho for the input guys. By this Sunday I should know just how slow my waterlogged '68 actually is. I now plan to stick the equalizer anywhere I can find space - I may just hand it to the rider and say: "Here, hold this." (Let 'em earn their beer.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic