NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Prop?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Prop?
    Posted: February-01-2010 at 5:57pm
Hey everyone, me again asking silly questions :)

I want to buy a prop for all around best use. I do not know my gear ratio number off the top of my head, but the boat is a 90 ski with the 351CI 240 hp. The boat pulls a small ski team on the weekends which we use an acme 12.5 x 13 I believe. I want a prop that can pull almost as good as that but lowers the RPM's a touch for personal use. Currently we use the 14X16 stock 3 blade for personal use but it just isn't doing it for me. I guess I want something in between, 3 or 4 blade, whatever is best. We do some wakeboarding with a fat sac, barefooting, and I wouldn't mind being able to pull 6-10 off the dock no sweat for fun skis/pyramids etc...I was thinking about the stock prop on the newer 196's which is the 12.5X15 acme I believe...would that be a good one?

Advice?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 6:11pm
I would answer but I don't know anything. I've owned my boat for 20 years. Pete knows everything, I'm sure he will give you an answer.
Tim D
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 6:13pm
Thanks Tim   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:00am
Tim,
I appreciate the compliment but the real expert would be Tim (TRBeng). Maybe you missed that he did all the testing of props including the OJ's and Acme's. I can make judgments from a WOT RPM then suggest a pitch change but I know you're capable of that as well.

Mike,
I'm sure Tim B will be along and can comment. You can also do some on site searching. I know somewere Tim did a report on his results. When I get a chance, I'll se if I can find it and get you a link. This morning will be a busy one for me as I need to go visit with OSHA for a "informal meeting".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ejojprop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejojprop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:52pm

The gear ratio is the important unknown. What is the max RPM with the 14 X 16?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:02pm
If youve got the 1.23 tranny (which you should if the 14x16 was your original prop) then Id go with either the Acme 470 or 1442. Both are great props. Theyre both 3-blades, the 470 being 12.5x15 and the 1442 being 13.25x15. I would give the slight not to the 1442 for its extra diameter, especially if you ever plan to do some engine mods in the future. In my experience the 3-blades come out of the hole a little better and top out a little higher than the 4-blade Acme's and OJ's. Any of the new CNC props will smoke the stock 14x16 though.

If youve got any specific WOT RPM or GPS data, that would help with the recommendation. The 1458 3-blade (13x14) would be an option and should have an awesome holeshot too, but it will turn more RPM and you may lose some top end speed. That boat with the 240hp is right on the hairy edge of pulling footers comfortably (my '90 pulled a footer at 41mph with the Acme 470 and stock powerplant) so you dont want to give up much here. Also, if youre running at altitude, that would be important to mention.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:06pm
Thanks TRBenj, that's what I was looking for. I will look into those options....As far as the max RPM's go, I really have no idea off the top of my head. I haven't been in the boat since September! lol
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2010 at 2:29pm
Just got my ACME 1442 from DELTA. Great people to work with, fast shipping CCFAN discount, can't ask for more. This thing looks amazing, I almost took it to bed with with me last night, thought it may be a little dangerous though :/

Thanks for the comments guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic